Can our passing game get going?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 19, 2022.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Passing game is there. ZW is just not ready to make the next step. He’s side-arming random throws for no reason, missing easy short throws, and sitting in the pocket forever at times.

It’s not consistent or fluid when watching. That’s all. everyone can agree.

Please Don’t blame the OL. It’s done so well with the amount of injuries.

This is on Zach and MLF to fix. We can win 11-12 games easily if they figure it out. I hope THEY do.

I think they will too.

NYJ1970 likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Excellent point indeed.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He threw one ill-advised side-arm throw against Pitt (Still hit the receiver in his hands) and made a beautiful one in this last game. He has not missed an easy short throw since Pitt. Watch the breakdown of game @Noam posted, he did not really stay in the pocket too long as opposed to how he scrambled and when. You can't take one play and extrapolate for all three games.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/10/19/grading-every-zach-wilson-throw-vs-green-bay-packers/

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think he proved he can carry the team in the Pittsburgh game. We needed him to come up big in that 4th quarter & he did. With time he will be more consistent in putting up better numbers.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  5. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Coaching staff doesn’t have the confidence in Zach to allow him to throw 40 times a game. Its why they never rushed him back when he got injured. He’s probably not looking sharp in practices. For now, let’s continue running the ball.

6. BrooklynJetsFan

Bro Stop it! Let it go. everyone sees it on Sunday. The sidearm to Wilson on the left rollout in the 2nd qtr – was behind him and almost intercepted. That's gotta be thrown normally with a simple throwing motion to the sideline, it's a simple catch as Wilson had his man beat go to the sideline.

3:25 into the video (EVIDENCE)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jets69 and Lon Chaney like this.
  7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It may be this Sunday

8. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

SLC is over 4000 ft altitude. Zach should be right at home and he should be accustomed to throwing at altitude and playing in the thin air. Of course, actual storm conditions might be another matter.

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Some people on here will not be satisfied until the Jets are a perfect team every week. I am enjoying this season so much and I couldn't care less how they are winning games. In the bad old days we would find ways to lose - each section of the team would take it in turns to screw up royally in some situation or other. Now we have units stepping up. The offense has done its share of the work, the defense has been steadily improving, special teams have been special.

There are no style points in the NFL. It doesn't matter one iota how many passing yards or rushing attempts or interceptions or whatever stat you care to look at turns out. The scoreboard decides who wins the game and we've won three in a row! But because Zach hasn't been passing for 300 yards and four TDs some people aren't happy.

This year was about being relevant and becoming a competitive team and we are doing that.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

First I am not your Bro. Now that we have settled It was tough throw that he missed simple as that.

BrooklynJetsFan and Noam like this.
  11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think we all agree that ZW needs to get better over the course of his Jets career.

If you’re not being impatient, the points you raised seem to be a better fit for a “year in review” thread sometime in January.

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Zach needed to put the team on his back to win in Pittsburgh, and he did.

Zach made enough throws vs Miami to win us the game. He had 10 yards per attempt in that game. He was 2 yards away from having 2 passing touchdowns, but Breece Hall was tackled at the one yard line 2x. The Jets punched those in for 6 on the ground.

Zach could’ve thrown the ball 10x on Sunday and they still would’ve won. They were beating the shit out of Green Bay in the trenches. We could’ve had Patrick Mahomes under center on Sunday and I would’ve been pissed if we threw it more than the 18x we did on Sunday. The FLOW OF THE GAME DID NOT DICTATE IT.

Zach Wilson needs to be better, yes. He made a couple shitty decisions against GB and still struggles against pressure. The good news is that Wilson is not turning the ball over when pressured. Eventually, he’ll learn to ID the blitz and get it to his outlet faster. He’s 16 games into his career for crying out loud.

13. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

MLF needs to put Moore in the slot. I’m tired of hearing about his schemes. You have to use the the talent that you have and change your schemes to accommodate that talent.

Cman68, BrooklynJetsFan and stinkyB like this.
  14. KingRoach

They currently are running GW in the slot. That’s a pretty bold statement to say Moore is more talented that G, it’ll be interesting to see if you stand by it.

15. BrooklynJetsFan

Relax on the Breece passes. Breece was wide open on one, and the other was a quick short pass. Breece did the rest with the YAC. It wasn’t some great passing plays from Zach.

Why can’t we all agree, Zach hasn’t played a full game of NFL QB-level football? If you don’t agree, please show me a game.

We should be discussing how he gets better.

- Moore in the slot?
    - More play action?
    - Quick slants or curls to get him in rhythm?

Don’t tell me he put team on his back, when he sucked for 3 qtrs before that in Pitt to lean on. That doesn’t work when you play a good team. Let it go. He’s not good right now.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Not the same thing at all.

Carrying the team is making plays that puts the offense into manageable distance-to-down situations and converting 3rd downs. Against the Packers we were 1/11 in 3rd down conversions... that sucks.

I've already said numerous times that Zach has stepped up in crucial situations and made game winning /game icing plays.

Carrying the team is making plays when the defense gets sloppy or the running game ain't working.

We might see against the Pats how good Zach is... Belichick's MO is to take away your best offensive strength and make you
    go to plan B... and our plan B is Zach's arm... and right now that's a work in progress.

17. KingRoach

Absolutely!! 3 months from now when we have at least a full season to look at, I can’t wait to critique ZW.

Noam likes this.
  18. BrooklynJetsFan

Exactly! He didn’t carry the team, when the team carried him for the other 3 quarters+. Drives me crazy when ppl say this. Like there two of phases of the game that was playing adequate enough to keep us in the game. But yea Zach carried us. GTFOH.

19. BrooklynJetsFan

For sure. I wouldn’t disagree with that. ZW STILL needs to play both BUF and NE defenses twice this.

I’ll reserve critique till those games past before anymore commentary about Wilson… or atleast try my best.

full season too long tho!

KingRoach likes this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Between Green Bay and Denver, the Jets are playing the top 2 pass defenses in the league. Give Zach a break.