Can our passing game get going?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 19, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If the Jets did not block the punt we would have had to pass more. We did block the punt and the Jets won by double digits. Is that not a big enough spread for you?

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Agree with everything you said except DEN having #1 Defense. Surtain is very good--almost lockdown based on stats.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We're one Breece Hall ankle sprain away from seeing if Zach can carry this offense with his arm.

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Hey man--did you get elected representative of the board? I must have missed the vote.

Ralebird and NYJ1970 like this.
  5. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

And how about you keep DUMB comments like "Why are we so concerned about wins" out of threads on this website? Do I need to be anymore obvious? Do I need to quote Herm from back in the day? The objective of every game is to win. You're limited in the amount of games you can win when you have a limited passing attack which is what the Jets have right now...

6. NYJ1970

100% true. Great post....

Cman68 likes this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

San Francisco says otherwise.

edit - i never said why are we concerned about wins or how many. You’re complaining about how they’re coming. I’m not. There’s a difference.

#27 dawinner127, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    K'OB likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wins are wins. Keep getting them by any means possible and we’ll be happy.

I think the thing the Jets need to do right now is get MC more carries while maintaining BH’s load.

9. NYJ1970

And it's also not just about the running back.....

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

@NYJ1970: The Jets have had a whole remaking of their offensive weapons and OL for exactly 6 games, only the last 3 of which Zach has played, which they won and he was an instrumental part of those wins. I think you're allowing your impatience to cloud your expectations.

I get it. I've been waiting for the 2nd coming of Namath for 50 years, and having watched and studied Wilson's tape at BYU came to believe - and still do - that he possesses the traits that could fulfill that wish: Great arm, quick release, able to improvise effectively, leadership ability; commitment to always improving. I've seen all of that on display, if not consistently, at least enough to know that he possesses them and will get better with time. And keep in mind he's still played less than a full season in the NFL and 75% of those games he was playing with a sub-par supporting cast. But yes, I want to see him do at this level what I saw him do at BYU.

But here's the thing: at BYU for the most part their talent was much better than the teams they played and Zach was given a lot more time in the pocket, and his receivers were able to get much bigger separation than in the pros. It takes time to adjust to that, to get your mental clock synched up with the higher speed. Like it or not, that's the reality. Saleh and MLF know this and are creating game plans that are enabling him to get this experience while minimizing mistakes - we can see the results.

People point to what Joe Burrow did his rookie year, but they neglect to account for the really good receivers he had to throw to and the shitty OL and running game he had - he had to throw a lot. And to his credit he's an excellent passer, but if they had a better running game he would not have thrown as much. IDK much about Kyler Murray, but I do know that his coach is an "air raid" disciple, and he also had some pretty good receivers to throw to.

Zach now has a stable of good to potentially great receivers but they're also young for the most part, and everyone is trying to learn how to play together. In the meantime, MLF is buying that "learning time" by relying on a good running game and high percentage passes. It's working.

But I'm anxious to see Zach start passing a lot more and piling up the yardage and passing TDs too. I've always hated the "defense wins championships" method that this team has followed for decades, and have craved the more wide open game of the old AFL: high flying offenses and shoot outs where even a 14 lead with 2 minutes left isn't safe. I've moderated that desire a bit in my old age, and am more focused on them having a balanced attack that no one can shut down completely and a stout defense. IMO that's what Saleh & Co are building. I'm okay being patient because I see positive results, and I've seen that Zach possesses the ability to become that great QB we've been lacking all these decades. I've posted hundreds, if not a few thousand, of lines here trying to explain all this, but some people just don't want to accept it. That's okay, they can believe whatever they want, but just like Saleh said, "I'll remember who the doubters were and I'll be collecting those receipts when their doubts prove to have been false".:D

11. NYJ1970

And who's insulting who exactly? I apologize for my comment to you but you also accused me of being a troll and if that's not an insult then it's certainly not something nice to say.

The Jets passing game will matter much more as the season goes on. That's a fact and you can book it.. just saying...

Ralebird likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And to add to that difficulty, even though they no longer call the Broncos stadium Mile High (unfortunately), it doesn't change the fact that Denver is a mile above sea level and it affects the flight of objects thrown, kicked, batted, etc. As well as more quickly saps the energy of people not acclimated to it. On top of all that, the long range forecast I saw this morning is calling for very changeable weather hitting the area on Sunday - Colorado often gets a "Halloween Snow Storm" that blows this time of year. All of this adds up to not the best conditions to go all "air raid offense".

LAJet likes this.
  13. NYJ1970

Who said this has anything to do with impatience? I'm not being impatient. In fact my take on this team is quite the contrary. I've always been optimistic about this team look up my posts if you must....

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This win streak has been largely about Breece Hall’s run of great games.

He’s been playing hero ball for us at the only position on the field where hero ball is a huge plus.

15. NYJ1970

Did I say it wasn't a big enough spread?

16. NYJ1970

Which is all the more reason why we need Zach to get better.....

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

But it is about the OLine in passpro. The OLine seems to have the running game dialed in but they need to get better in passpro to give Zach and the WR's more time to get open further downfield. MLF can help too by not calling too many obvious pass plays from passing formations. In other words, mix it up which Mikey is starting to do. Zach will be better in year 3 as I think he's making his 17th pro start this Sunday?

SOJAZ, cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

So less passing is the answer?

19. NYJ1970

I agree. However, the OL is also not why Zach is throwing balls that a much higher probability of being intercepted.....

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Watch the breakdown Noam posted before you post this non-sense. Against Miami he threw exactly zero turnover-type balls.