Can our passing game get going?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 19, 2022.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Let's be honest here. The Jets have won their last two because the defense has stepped up and the OL is performing surprisingly well in combination with a potent running game. Essentially a ground and pound type offensive game. Sure, they use some play action and roll outs to keep the threat of an aerial attack real with their opponents.

Unfortunately, the Jets passing attack is still quite limited and I don't believe it has anything to do with the receivers either.

ZACH WILSON is the problem.

Now I'm reluctant to use the word problem and honestly Zach hasn't done anything to make the team lose. However, he did have a few passes against GB that probably should have been intercepted.

With that said, Zach, and Zach alone, needs to step up his game.

This is a good team and I'm convinced this team can win a lot of games THIS season. As many as 11, 12? If the QB can start to do his share. Now, Zach has already had a good moment. I would point to Zach's performance against the Steelers in the 4th quarter. And honestly I don't care about the mistakes he made prior to the Steelers 4th quarter. He was shaking off some rust as far as I'm concerned.

He needs to pick up his game from here on out. The Jets will not even come close to 11 or 12 wins if Zach continues his current play. The fact is he's got EVERYTHING around him that a young QB could possibly need or want. Joe Douglas has done everything to give Zach a platform for success. So we'll see moving forward but right now, from where we currently are? Zach is keeping this team from reaching their full potential.....

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Holy shit this is crazy. He's played 16 career games. Why are we complaining about wins? We haven't seen many of them over the last decade and here we are complaining about how they come. Did the 49ers bitch when Jimmy didn't throw for 200+, but they won? Zach has been fine and has hit the throws when his number has been called. I'm sure when the defenses get a little easier in the 2H of the year we will see a little more from our passing game..

Stop nitpicking over stuff that doesn't matter, but for now, sit back and enjoy it man.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Your post from Monday....

Seems a bit contradictory, no?

4. dawinner127

[​IMG]

Bickety with the receipts.....

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Our passing game has already gotten going. It carried us to a comeback win in Pittsburgh, then did exactly what it needed to do in Miami and while it was rough for the majority of GB vs a great pass defense it was the catalyst to taking control of game with that huge play to CD.

Obviously it remains to be seen whether or not the passing game could carry the team for a full game or rest of season but if the running game can continue to improve and be the threat that it looks like it’s becoming it’s going to make it a lot easier for the passing game.

6. NYJ1970

No. Not in the least. Please tell me where I said anything false? There's zero reason to be pessimistic right now. The team is playing well. However, they'll never get to 11 or 12 wins, which I happen to believe is quite possible, unless Zach picks up his game?

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You had them at 8-9 wins. Now it's 11 or 12? Ok.

NYJ1970 likes this.
  8. NYJ1970

Ugh? Just a few common sense reasons like...

The more games you win you could potentially HOST a playoff game? Something the Jets haven't had since 2002. 20 years ago. This is to say nothing about overall confidence in the players going into next season.

And do me a favor... Keep your "Jets fans should feel happy about not being a doormat" attitude away from me. The OBJECTIVE of every single game the Jets play is to WIN....

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

People just come on here to stir up shit. It is baffling. It is normally the same people so forgive me if I think they are trolling.

10. NYJ1970

Yes I did and i still believe that's likely the outcome of this season. However, this team has turned the corner much sooner than I thought they would. Now looking at the season and the increased level of play I think as many as 12 wins are POSSIBLE. However, that only happens if Zach picks up his play.....

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No question he needs to get better. But, the bold is totally by design. As long as it continues to work they will leverage it to the max and rightfully so. They want Wilson to manage the game as he continues to grow comfortably behind center. A low risk game at this point. I think we will see the play book open up more and more as time goes by, but I don't feel they will want Wilson to become the guy that carries the game on his back week after week with an aerial show as AR or Josh allen. Certainly not near term. Yes he needs to get better at finding open targets quickly, But the identity for us is rapidly becoming a strong ground and pound game, and using Wilson mobility to roll and throw a bunch of shorter passes across many targets with above average YAC with an occasional long bomb to keep them honest.
    Having said that, IMO, this week he is facing the number one D in my book, and would not be the time to let it rip. I wouldn't expect much more than what we saw Sunday, with hopefully a more effective short passing attack.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and IDFjet like this.
  12. NYJ1970

I'm so sorry for interrupting your masterbastion euphoria.....

Ralebird, Jets69 and IDFjet like this.
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Should we have thrown more against GB how about Miami? When Zach was called upon to throw more he played pretty well.

We have Denver coming up. How did Herbert look against them? Zach should throw the ball as little as possible against that defense.

dmw, Jeff M and dawinner127 like this.
  14. dawinner127

How about you do the rest of the board a favor and keep your shitty threads away from the rest of us? Maybe you can join that email chain going around. You seem like a prime candidate.

We are winning games. Why does it matter how they come? The one game that Zach needed to win with his arm, he did. Stop acting like the NFL is fantasy football and you need gaudy numbers in order to win.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If you are going to insult me can you at least spell the word correctly?

16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

If anyone thinks ZW is going for 300/3 TDs in any of these games before the bye, they are going to be very disappointed.

Denver #3 defense
    NE #15 defense - but we all know BB is gonna have something cooking
    Buffalo #2 defense

KY Jets Fan, SOJAZ, dmw and 6 others like this.
  17. NYJ1970

I agree. But it's no secret that opposing defenses plan to stop the Jets offense hasn't changed. EVERY defense the Jets face this season will make every effort to stop the Jets running game. If/when that happens we'll need ZACH to step up.....

18. NYJ1970

I don't know the correct spelling because I don't want anything to do with what you have going on....

19. NYJ1970

I'm not looking for that either but I do not believe 10/18 for 110 yards will be enough for us to win.....

Lon Chaney likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The passing game is not just about the QB. Just ask Aaron Rodgers. We talk about our weapons but we still do not have a dominant WR. GW might become one but he is far from it rt now. We have a bunch of very good WR's but still young and improving.

I have been hard on Corey Davis for dropping passes but he has turned his game around since GW attracts the best corner.

JetFanInNE and ColoradoContrails like this.