So, what now about Clemens?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I know Pennington had a great game, but does this mean he is gonna start for the jets till 2011 when is large contract expires???

Are we ever going to see Clemens be the Jets Starter?

[​IMG]

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Let's let Eric Mangini sort this one out. His instincts have been very good so far. :)

Remember that Belichik inherited Chad's polar opposite in Drew Bledsoe (immobile, rocket arm, bad decisions) and it took him more than a season and one huge random event to figure out what the right answer was.

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I think that he and Chad will have an equal opportunity to compete for the starting job.

4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

will raise some debate but i think we all know pennys gunna start as long as he's healthy

5. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

Chad really had a good game today and he has played really tough this year. If he comes into training camp ready next year he deserves to be the starter on this team. Everyone is really infatuated with Clemmens when he really hasn't shown us anything. I know he hasn't had the oppurtunities but people act like hes the next great QB when we really don't know. He could turn into another Patrick Ramsey

6. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

His 3rd year he should get his shot, Chad played far too well and deserves the nod next year.

7. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Clemens will be given a chance to compete, but Chad is the leader of this team. Unless Clemens completely blows the team away Chad is not losing his job any time soon.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

damn it, pennington to win a SB must need plenty of assets and he seriously is a dome QB.

9. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

I love how you people still post this even though Chad did everything he could today to win and survived the entire season........Clemens will start when he is ready

10. 1028

1028 Active Member

Chad played great for the most part today. He only started to make mistakes when it was too late anyways, when we were getting desperate and when the game was already lost.

Clemens will start whenever he is ready. To force him into the lineup would be a mistake when we already have a more than competant player at the position in #10.

11. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

12. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

He'll get his fair shot at training camp, leave it till then. Pennington has done a great job leading this team and there was no way that he deserved to get benched

13. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

I think this offseason is much more simple. We will enter Training Camp with Chad as the starting QB and it will be Chad's job to lose. Then we need a RB and better defensive players.

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Chad can't make the throws in the RZ against decent defenses. The Jets can't run the ball in the RZ against decent defenses(or anywhere else for that matter). At least one of these two things is going to have to change pretty drastically for the Jets to have a good offense next season.

15. Chrisn777

Chrisn777 New Member

i just hope kellen changes his number, 6 is not the number of a quarterback. Seriously when's the last time a quarterback that wore number 6 won a superbowl?

16. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

Agreed. Give Clemens another year to learn. No guarantee that Chad survivies another 16 game season without injury. He may get the chance later next season, but I would figure Clemens starts (if he's up to it) in '08.

Would like to lose Ramsey, save cap space there, and put Clemens in the #2 spot with Brad Smith as the #3.

17. SunshineJet

SunshineJet New Member

Penny with 300 yards today, a healty season, did more than enough to keep his starter place. Would be surprised not to see Chad starting again next year. Experience alone is very important, and next year we really have a shot.

18. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

Really, this is an oustanding, sound argument. No holes in it. You are a born commentator:breakdance:

19. Chrisn777

Chrisn777 New Member

i guess you can't speak sarcasm.

20. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Chad Pennington had an outstanding game today, marred only by a garbage time pick. The field goals, in my opinion, were a function of rare poor playcalling and a non-existent running game. I suspect the latter will be fixed in 2007, and the former, as I said, is rare.

Clemens will of course be given a fair shake, but the only way Pennington is not the quarterback is if his body simply gives up on him.