2022 - Week 5: New York Jets vs Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 2, 2022.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2022.
  1. Jets

56.1%
  2. Dolphins

43.9%
  1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hey... they can beat up on the Colts again next week... :confused:

cval likes this.
  2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The pass has to have a reasonable chance of completion. The TE was engaged as a blocker so there was no reasonable chance of completion.

The call was correct.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yep, I watched the whole thing and looked at key series more than once. The best way to slow down a receiver is to not let him catch the ball. It's nice to limit YAC but not the best way to defend the pass. How many first downs were those two responsible for? I'm not going back through the game to find out but I remember a few. 47 is not bad yardage for a guy who was listed as questionable before the game.

Edited to add: You made me curious so I actually did decide to review the game charts, not the whole video and see that between Hill and Waddle they had at least five first downs on passes as well as the one on Hill's end around. In going back through I also noted that Gardner, Reed and Carter also combined on 91 yards of pass interference (and three more first downs) while "slowing down" Hill and Waddle. It doesn't matter how ridiculous some whiners may think the calls were - the refs get the only opinion that counts. I'd hate to see what would happen if the defense shut them down completely.

#284 Ralebird, Oct 11, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Whiners? Two of the pass interference calls were drop dead ludicrous. Outstanding D all the way and the refs extended the play with a shit call. On the other side of the coin. Miami had two clear PI where the receiver got mauled and the defender didn’t even turn around, but neither got called. The fact of the matter is that neither receiver got much yardage, and that is the only thing that matters against the most productive tandem in the entire league. They more than kept them in check. Much, much better BTW than even the mighty Buffalo D.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Ralebird

Like I said, the refs have the opinion that matters. There are good calls and bad calls and some are outrageous - like roughing the passer Sunday on Brady and tonight on Carr - I chalk them up to nobody knowing what the NFL is looking for when the marching orders seem to change from day to day. (They really need to make that one reviewable if they're going to be so quick to throw the flags.)

On the other hand, PI has always been a judgement call and giving up more than one a game is bad news - that's a coaching deficiency. I disagree with your contention that Miami got away with two if you're looking at Conklin deep on the left side - there's no way he would have gotten back to make the play on the ball that was a yard out of bounds and behind him if he was the only guy on the field; "uncatchable" is still in the rulebook. I reran the video on that during the game yesterday and just looked at it again in another thread a couple of minutes ago. I don't know what other play you had in mind but blaming the referees will never make a winner.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Well... we held Waddle to his lowest reception yardage this year... though the Bengals did pretty good last week.
    But those same Bengals gave up 160 rec. yrds. to Tyreek...

It was the same for their game against the Bills... Tyreek was held to 2 catches for 33 yds. while Waddle had 4 for 102 yds.
    When one has a "bad" game... the other makes up for it.
    Against the Ravens they both went hog wild... 190 yds. for Tyreek and 171 yds. for Waddle.

They got 60 yds. total against us... that's pretty damn good.
    If one looks at Hill & Waddle's season stats it's plain to see they did not get their usual game yardage against us.

How much was due to our defensive scheme or the fact they had a 3rd string QB chucking the ball to them is debatable.

What's not debatable is whether they were slowed down. They most assuredly were. ;)

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What, I have no clue what you are talking about? The ball hit the back of the defender helmet and the face of our TE while he was pushed out of position. The other one was on Davis. But putting that aside. Please tell me one thing. Are you seriously a Jets fan, and if you are, do you enjoy just dwelling in the negative.

bicketybam likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Now that's a silly question... :rolleyes:

10. Ralebird

You see, I don't care at all about the Bengals vs. the Dolphins and I don't care about the Ravens vs. the Dolphins; my comments here have been regarding the comment I responded to claiming the Jets "slowed down" Hill and Waddle, which looks to be true if one only looks at a single stat - their receiving yardage. Watching the game told a different story and it was even more surprising, after checking more completely that they caught every single pass thrown to them and also they collected 95 yards (and three first downs) in penalties from the Jets defenders while getting at least five other first downs, one for every other catch.

So seventy yards receiving (not sixty), 95 yards in penalties and another dozen or so for Hill running the ball brings your sixty to an actual total of yards they got to over 175. Throw in at least eight first downs some of which extended both of Miami's TD drives and there is no reason at all to be crowing about how they were handled. It's great that the Jets won but no real Jets fan wants the team to be exposing themselves that way, unless they think the stats matter more than the results.

#290 Ralebird, Oct 11, 2022
  11. Ralebird

I don't know which plays you're talking about, I've been talking about penalties while defending against Hill and Waddle. The calls have been made and no amount of complaining, warranted or not, will change them. Neither will changing the conversation to calls or non-calls against Miami. I did throw in a response to what I thought you were talking about as far as calls the Jets did not get. If you really want to take this further, tell me when the plays you're talking about took place and I'll take another look.

Yor last sentence is not really worthy of a reply but I've been a Jets fan probably since before you were born and the only thing I "dwell" on is the reality far too many claiming to be fans want to ignore; excuse making, blaming referees, injuries and anything else has never changed a score - deal with it.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It's exhausting, isn't it?

13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Hill came into the game averaging 119 receiving yards per game and over 15 yards per reception. Waddle came in averaging 95 receiving yards per game and over 18 yards per reception.

On Sunday:

Hill: 47 yards with a 6.7 average.

Waddle: 23 yards with a 7.7 average.

Both were well below average and "slowed down" by the Jets.

KY Jets Fan, NY Jets68, Borat and 3 others like this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Interesting take to have, but it just sounds like you’re looking to find a negative.

by any measure, holding those two to under 100 yards combined and well below their average per catch is a positive. A very good positive. Yes we sacrificed the running game for it, and I’m sure at least some of it had to do with them having to play a rookie QB, but man how you can you not see this performance as a positive thing?

I fully expected at least one of those guys, or else Gesecki, to go off, and none of them did. We held them to 17 points. All in all pretty good D and better than I expected.

in the end, those two receivers are too good to be held to no catches at all…I think we had a good game plan, we made our own luck with a solid blitz to start it off, and never let those two guys beat us. If they were going to beat us, it would have had to be someone else to do it. Very Belichick-like…

KY Jets Fan, Borat, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Imagine if he and a few other posters, for the last 1.5 years, made these same exact unrelenting identical posts where Zach is always bad, JD is awful and the Jets suck, and only their opinion matters and is valid, regardless of what happens. How exhausting would that be? Hypothetically, of course.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am starting to think one of the Zach haters has to be Brady Quinn trolling this board.

Noam likes this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

They sound too reasonable to be one of our Jet haters.

ColoradoContrails and Lon Chaney like this.
  18. Ralebird

Not looking for anything, just responding to someone with an over the top opinion. Also not seeing it as a zero positive. When ten passes are thrown to two guys and all ten are caught resulting in at least five first downs which led to two touchdowns there's no reason to start fitting anyone for gold jackets. 95 yards in penalties for three plays on top of that doesn't help. You have pointed out the tradeoff in the running game. There's a balance to be had here which some guys refuse to acknowledge, if they're even aware of it or are only cherry picking stats.

And yes, I'm fully aware that looking for balance and grounding commentary in reality will no doubt brand me as a "hater" by some who have nothing else to offer. So be it.

#298 Ralebird, Oct 11, 2022
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

A passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. A realistic chance of completion is defined as a pass that is thrown in the direction of and lands in the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver. Officials may judge that the QB doesn’t have to meet these requirements if he is hit while he is in the process of throwing the ball.

Bridgewater was hit. You could see the ball being jarred from his hand and it was nearly a fumble. It was a judgement call that went our way for once.

#299 ouchy, Oct 11, 2022
    Ralebird and Lon Chaney like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Just proves: "There are none so blind as they who will not see".

While I have yet to put anyone on "Ignore", I have learned that I actually don't have to respond to every comment. Sometimes the best response is no response.

Noam likes this.