Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

To many times I've seen receivers & backs get tackled at the 1 yard line. Sunday Breese got to the 1 and it took 2 TD passes away from Zach. This is where you have to forget the stats & look at the whole picture. Also see what Zach's comp% looks like when he doesn't throw the ball away 10 times a game. Today he improved last week's 50% with this week's 66%.. Also kudos to AVT, just saying we might have found the rite combo on the OL.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Wilson was a game managing distributor today. He hit the wide open targets and didn’t make any bad decisions while he let his playmakers own the game. That’s a big time mature step as last year he would’ve struggled in this type of game.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Zach played well today. Took what was there, didn’t try to force any balls. I honestly can’t remember a single ball that I thought was close to being picked off.

It’s not gonna look flashy when you go back and look at the box score but it was a great step in his development IMO.

Also, as @BudJet pointed out in the OP, if Breece doesn’t get tackled at the 1 yard line on both of those plays, his stats look a lot better. Great day for Zach and this entire team.

Nyjets4eva, NCJetsfan, Jojo and 7 others like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

14/21 for 210 yards and a rushing touchdown is a good game for Zach. Baby steps here. Be consistent.

21 pass attempts for 210 yards is 10 yards/attempt. Good game from Zach.

Nyjets4eva, NCJetsfan, Jojo and 6 others like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

TD passes are a dumb stat, especially over a small sample. That said, Zach looked good today. Not great but good, which is what we need to see out of him throughout the year. If he's good this year, then we can dream of greatness next year.

Jojo, REVISion, Borat and 2 others like this.
  6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He's about where he should be in his second start of his second season. He took some time to shake off the rust last week, which was to be expected, and then played very well in the 4th. He played well today in a game that, as others have said, he probably would have struggled in last season. As long as he keeps making this kind of progress and getting the ball to the young playmakers we have on offense, then this team, at the very least, shouldn't be the pushover it's been the past few years.

KY Jets Fan and Jets79 like this.
  7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Prob had 2 TDs from passing too if Breece wasn't stopped at the 1 two times I think

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I think fantasy has warped the mind of some NFL fans.

mezzavo, PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan and 6 others like this.
  9. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

I’m sure Breece after the 1st game fumble, he’s thinking protecting the ball all times

cval likes this.
  10. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

No turnovers today. Thats the big stat

stinkyB, KY Jets Fan, Jojo and 4 others like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Speaking of the spelling mistake in the title…. I’m not a big made up analytics guy by PFF and Action Network and friends but I do believe that turnover worthy passes is a solid thing to look at. To my recollection, Wilson had zero turnover worthy plays today.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is exactly the type of game doubters were saying Zach needs to show he can do. Now some have raised the bar. That's ok, I have no doubt he'll clear wherever they set it.

Here's some perspective: when they had squandered their big lead, and the Phins had scored 10 unanswered points and got possession to start the second half, previous teams and QBs would've panicked and choked. Zach stayed calm and led them to a rout. He didn't play like a rookie - which he technically is. He made 3rd down throws when they absolutely had to have them.

One great thing about ZW is that while he has great self confidence he doesn't have a big ego, and he puts the team, and winning, first.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

These are very good numbers

#13 cval, Oct 9, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He completed 67% of his passes and didn't turn over the ball. Can't really ask for more.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He did what he needed to today. The TD's will come if he continues to progress.

NCJetsfan, KY Jets Fan and bicketybam like this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He made the Throws he needed to make and played great situational football.

His best throw of the day was to EM on the sideline that EM had his feet planted out of bounds.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Really solid game by Zach today. Loved his rushing touchdown, but that play definitely scared me. I'd rather kick a field goal than Zach get injured, but luckily he came out of the play in good shape. He managed the game really well today.

NCJetsfan and PabloJa like this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The 50 yard throw to Tyler Conklin was pretty good. All Tyler had to do is jump onto the defender like when Hill jumped on Sauce, and he gets a PI call. Actually this one was move obvious as Sauce actually turned towards the ball, so that was a 50/50, while Conklin's defender was turned away from the ball. Should have easily drawn a PI, like Hill did.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Scary play, but this was more than just a game manager. I checked this play multiple times: no one was open, and Zach willed it for a TD. So yes, mostly a solid game management, which is what was needed, but a few big time plays like this one to make this quite a bit better than average game manager performance.

NCJetsfan, KY Jets Fan, LAJet and 4 others like this.
  20. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I'm not one to compare one jet QB to another, but would darnold in a million years ever dive for the end zone between 3-4 dolphins where getting creamed was inevitable?

Zach definitely has guts

mezzavo, KY Jets Fan and JETFUEL1580 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.