THE Most important key to this game...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2022.

1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think, with a coach like LeFleur, it's always gonna be that way. There's no big picture. He doesn't seem to be able to process a lot at once, so he focuses on one thing at a time. Which is why we see a bunch of plays called to one player, then a bunch of plays to another. A coupla passes to GW in a row. A couple passes to Moore in a row. A coupla passes to CD... etc. I've rarely seen him really mix up his play/player selection.
    Maybe it'll turn out ok, & he's just a stream of consciousness type guy.

JackBower likes this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's weird because other than running WAY too much on first downs, I think LaFleur has done a good job. But my god is he predictable on first down, and it leads to way too many 3rd and longs where the defense can tee off on Zach because they know we have to throw.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Considering poor Tua is out indefinitely because of that brutal injury and bad medical decision...it will be the Jets facing our old Alumni Teddy B who knows how to win football games

Let me come out say the Dark Curtains in my room will be drawn open to the light of day if the Jets slop their way to some ugly win at the Meadowlands ..:)

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have been very critical of the CS but not today.. They did their job, and clock managem not at the end was perfect. Penalties are a killer but players need to step up to their end of the bargain.

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm hoping there Is some extreme long game coming where he flips the script In a crucial moment at some point this season, hits a big play-action In a pivotal moment on first down to help us win..

Optimism still feels like shit. lol

REVISion likes this.
  6. burf

burf Well-Known Member

It's interesting that most of the killer penalties, of late, have been by the vets, not the younguns. To me, that's probably one of the best signs of better days to come, that the young guys are playing with discipline, & a fire we haven't seen in eons. For me, seeing Zach come up big in the clutch, & show calm & fire under pressure, were what I've been waiting to see. Now, watching these guys grow up together, the ups & downs will be fun. Kudos to JD, & particularly the scouting team, for bringing in players with the right mixture of talent, fire, & maturity.

ColoradoContrails, Jets79 and Noam like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nicely said. And a very good observation about the vets commiting the penalties. I have to admit, the unnecessary roughness on CJ was a weak call at best, but we have had a couple of blatant dumb ass calls by the vets that costs us precious points and possibly a game.

8. burf

burf Well-Known Member

It's actually kinda astounding how well the young guys are playing. Usually, it's the vets modelling for the younguns, but it seems the vets can learn a lot of the kids.

LAJet likes this.
  9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Nobody told the kids about the SOJ.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The CJ call was ridiculous... especially since Steeler players were doing worse the entire game and not getting flagged.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The unsung hero yesterday was Lamarcus Joyner who had several key PDs and a huge INT.

Jets79 and LAJet like this.
  12. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that's gonna keep happening until the team starts winning consistently, being the nature of NFL officiating.

Acad23 likes this.
  13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'd give it to that guy we traded up for last year. That O lineman with a bunch of names. He was pretty solid

ColoradoContrails, LAJet and ouchy like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

While I agree with you, I believe he is desperately trying to set up dominance with the running game.He knows and I agree that is the identity this team needs to succeed long term. He has the horses to run it, and is overly patient in trying to make it work. His struggle is the constant variability in the OL and lack of cohesiveness in trying to open lanes.
    I think his game plan is actually quite clever overall and he is a real bright guy, my concern with him is his willingness to change the fundamental schemes right now to fit the talent available. He does appear to be more flexible that he was last year.
    He is trying to establish a trade mark of running first, and doesn't care if the defense knows that or not. Unfortunately, we are not strong enough upfront to impose our will on defenses, like the Titans and other great running teams have done. As of yet we are far from our running game becoming a staple of this offense, and a little more element of surprise particularly on first down would sure benefit our offense. Using Hall more as number one back, and short passes to both backs, or two back formations should be nice to see moving forward.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree. Nice post. I was really happy to see him not abandon the run game and throw 55-60 passes. This whole system is predicated on running the ball and making DL go east and west. Our OL problems are horrific for this offense. He is in a really tough spot trying to make this offense work with 5th string OTs.

LAJet likes this.