FIRE CHUCK ULBRICH

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 11, 2022.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If Quinnen’s upset about what Ulbrich said, he’s got even thinner skin than some of you guys accuse Becton of having. Ulbrich praised Quinnen the whole press conference but because he said that sometimes Quinnen’s “sucking air” on the sidelines, it’s supposed to be some big thing?

Much ado about nothing IMO.

bicketybam likes this.
  2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I dunno. It's one thing when the media, or fans call you out. It's another, when your coach does.
    The guy wants to play more, & his coach tells the world he can't, because he needs a breather.
    In my world, he's trying to deflect criticism onto his star player. Not sure that's smart, or appropriate.
    It's the kind of thing a player remembers, when free-agency beckons. That's my concern.

Lon Chaney and Nyjets4eva like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Quinnen wants to play more.

Ulbrich says he can’t play more because he gets gassed.

Saleh said Quinnen was in best shape of his life.

sounds like a bullshit, cop out response to a rationalize a terrible rotation scheme

IDFjet, Poeman, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Literally the question before the one that ignited this sh** storm, he was very complimentary of Quinnen, called him a “game wrecker”, “he’s a problem in the run game, he’s been extremely disruptive there”, “even when he’s not making the play, he’s eating double teams, he’s getting knockbacks, he’s creating penetration”, “from a rush perspective, you have to account for him, that's a rare thing for an internal guy like that". "Gotta continue to get him more opportunities and a big part of that is winning on 3rd down, the better he does on 3rd down the better we'll do collectively on 3rd down."

Watching the presser, I got the sense that he was just being honest and trying to answer the question that followed the statements above.

Rosenblatt asked him after he sung Quinnen's praises for a solid minute or two, "I know you guys use that rotation on the DL obviously everybody shuffling in and out but when you have someone playing as well as Quinnen is, like you're saying, is there any thought to like keep the hot hand out there kinda thing and let him get more snaps?"

Ulbrich: "That is the instinct for sure. There are these critical moments in game..."why is Quinnen not out there?!?" and you look to the side and he's gasping for air. Just gotta be judicious with it. Gotta absolutely use him as much as we can and as much as we can in critical moments, for sure. But I still think there has to be a level of rotation. He plays at such a high clip and he goes so hard that sometimes more is less or more isn't necessarily as good because now you're not seeing the speed, the explosiveness, all the special stuff from the athletic standpoint that he brings."

He absolutely could've worded it better, said something like, "you look over to the side and you can see that these guys we just took out are obviously still tired" or something similar or even just not single Quinnen out but I just don't get all this outrage that I've seen on here and on Twitter about what he said. It's a fact, 300lbs guys get tired in NFL games and have to be taken out sometimes. If there are those that don't understand or can't comprehend that then I can't help them.

At no point during the presser did I see a coach who was throwing a guy under the bus, but when you take a clip of him saying "You look to the side and he's gasping for air", it's very easy to take that quote out of context and run with it. I encourage everyone to actually go and watch the full presser and hopefully you'll see what I'm saying.

5. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I agree with the author IN TIME. I do not think he should be fired right now. We've got to give him a chance and IMO he hasn't gotten enough of a chance since getting suitable tools to work with. There's NO good reason or excuse why this defense is playing as bad as it is. Are there major injuries? No. Does he have talented players to work with? Yes. This isn't the OL where they lost 3 tackles in a 6 week span. So my timeline looks like this:

1) If Ulbrich cannot the defense playing better I think he should be fired at the bye week. He's got the talent and he's not putting it together. With that said he deserves until the bye week.

2) Assuming Ulbrich gets fired, Saleh must get the defense playing better. If HE cannot get the defense going then I think he should be fired at season end. He was hired for his defensive prowess. If he can't get that going at least then he shouldn't be a HC.

6. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

How about if Q is "SUCKING AIR", OK, thats THE COACHING STAFF FAULT..100%

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I disagree with your 100% comment. In no world is someone’s conditioning 100% reliant upon what a coach does or does not make them do. If Quinnen is gassed, he’s gotta take some responsibility and get into better shape. I do agree that the CS would have some responsibility as well but at worst it’s a 50/50 split.

But again, he’s a 300+ pound dude going up against other 300+ pound dudes every snap he’s in there. It’s only logical that he’ll get tired eventually and need a breather while he’s “sucking air”.

Out of curiosity, did you blame the CS for Mekhi’s conditioning earlier this year too?

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I don’t think this coaching staff was throwing Quinnen under the bus at all. I thought about making a “Quinnen Williams is fat” thread as a joke like the ones we used to have on TGG but decided against it.

Quinnen needs to be on the field more, as does Lawson and Jermaine Johnson. The main talking point the Jets use to rationalize their rotation is that is keeps their players fresh for late game situations. That’s all well and good but when you’re not even competitive going into the 4th quarter, something has to change.

9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The only way our defense is going to get better using the current scheme is to get better players. It’s a defense that is extremely primitive that can be “run by monkeys”, straight from the coach’s mouth. It’s not an intelligence based defense meant to confuse opponents, it’s based on aggression with premium players all over the place. The book is the same no matter who’s reading it. Until we have multiple superstars on D there’s not going to be much improvement. Firing Ulbrich is like changing the voice of your GPS from male to female because it’s getting you lost. It makes no difference. The answer to having a great D is to heavily slant resources to fill the D with superstars or change the entire regime and hire someone who actually believes in scheming for success.

burf likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Valid criticism that I think most of us have. Quinnen should be playing more. IMO, he should be playing as much as he possibly can with how disruptive he’s been through 3 games.

I just don’t think the rotation is going to go away. In theory, it makes sense but that doesn’t make it any less frustrating to see Nathan Shepherd out there on 3rd & 4 because they just took Quinnen out.

#70 KY Jets Fan, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

What the CS should have said is "we need to do a better job getting our players in a position to succeed". Any public negative comment about a player is total bullshit. This DC we have is just dumb in regards to his mouth.

Lon Chaney and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

With the way camp and preseason is now a days it might take a few games to get into football shape, especially for the big guys.

Jojo, Lon Chaney and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed. There’s a thin line between honesty and diplomacy. The coaching staff has done nothing to prove that they effectively call out players in the media especially considering the messy sideline action last week with the player in question.

Quinnen has been a good player and hasn’t taken the leap to being a great player. This is the exact profile of a guy that is going to demand a massive contract from the Jets rather than wanting to stay around and then go collect in free agency anyways. Especially when he clearly doesn’t see eye to eye with the coaching staff.

IDFjet and Lon Chaney like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Quinnen is too deep into the league for this to be a thing. It’s the chicken or the egg. Is he capable and being held back over some nonsense or is he being held back because it’s truly in the best interest of the team so he gets gassed too quickly?

Players are not actively conditioning during the season for the most part.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I disagree, playing a full game is not something you can simulate especially with the reduced practice time. Working into the season makes sense. With that being said we are in week 4 and there are no excuses.

16. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Firstly, I'm so tired of the bus analogy everyone uses. I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree about Q having thin-skin in relation to U's comment. It's his coach, & the coach is saying, in effect, that sometimes in critical situations Q is unable to play. That's something any player will get upset with. But moreso, it demonstrates an absolute, almost religious belief in scheme/rotation above what a game situation warrants.
    And that's antithetical to winning. Maybe U needs to read up on Saleh's 60% BS... hey, Q isn't sucking air, he's got tons in-reserve & only begun to fight. These coaches are fanatics, not about winning, but of being right in their thinking. I mean, in game one LaFleur didn't utilize GW, because in his view, GW didn't know the full scheme. So, give him things he knows, he's a freakin' playmaker. I can go on, but you get my drift.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

F*ck you and your context.

Momma said the devil was in the details and I will not allow the devil control over my mind. /s

KY Jets Fan and bicketybam like this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why are people saying he gets gassed?

Ulbrich never even said that.

The way it scans is ...

Reporter, You need to play Q more

Ulbrich, I want to play him more but after 10 plays in a row, I look at him and he needs to take a play out to recover (the same as loads of players)

This really is being made into Everest from a tiny molehill.

Of course, he is trying to justify their stupid percentage rule but in no way is he going after Q but no doubt after a big thing has been made about it then it will become a problem.

The guy had just finished praising Q to the heavens.

Fucking ridiculous take tbh

edit fixed the missing n's having keyboard issues lol

#78 K'OB, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    KY Jets Fan, bicketybam and Mogriffjr like this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs and the offense can't put sustained drives together.

No wonder players are 'gassed'... :confused:

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

it’s like the opposite of a Belichick defense, where the whole is much better than the sum of the parts…Belichick’s D works with players that are good but it doesn’t need superstars…this defense needs at least one or two stud pass rushers to really work, and we have zero. We have a few pretty good rushers but not a single dominant guy like a Mack or a Bosa or a Miller. Until we get that, we will be what we are.

ColoradoContrails likes this.