Zach Wilson scheduled to start against Pittsburgh Steelers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Sep 28, 2022.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Many a QB faltered in this league due to external circumstances. Tough. Throw him out there, sink or swim. Period

PJ4Ever likes this.
  2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Yup, & that's a concern to me. LaFleur hasn't exactly shown much of an ability to mix things up. Will he, or will he do a 180 from his Flacco zillion passes, & go too run-heavy? For once, I'd like to see a nice balance between run & pass... & distributing the ball to all the playmakers. In other words, be aggressive, up-tempo & unpredictable... utilize the tools you have to put the D on their heels. Enough with the tentative crap, the Jets have a bunch of playmakers, give them the ball.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It's funny how most Posters here are savvy enough to game plan for the Pitt game..even listing good and bad scenarios IF LaFleur calls the wrong game for ZW. And most of them make a lot of sense eg keep the game fast and uptempo for Wilson

I am looking for a ZW improvement from game 1 this Season ...kid has to show he's better than Joe F and a true # 2 pick imo

For me it will be his progress against his Classmate Trevor Lawrence or other second year QBs for the rest of games going forward

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Mills - is not playing very well
    Jones- has a head a rough start and could be out for the season with an ankle
    Fields - has not played well at all
    Lance - out for season
    Lawrence -Has played well

The only 2nd year QB that has played well thus far is Trevor Lawrence.

Borat, NYJetsO12, Nyjets4eva and 7 others like this.
  5. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Yeah, he has to be somewhat near Lawrence.

Cman68 and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Yeah this much vaunted class is looking like an abject failure so far.

Cman68 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  7. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

As every QB draft class does.

Wilson needs to show a level of progress that I just don't think is possible with the coaching he is receiving.

burf, JETFUEL1580 and Cman68 like this.
  8. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Under Pederson, Lawrence is starting to look like he was supposed to. Still hard for me to take the Jags seriously, but he's been playing very well.

Good or bad, I'm kind of excited to see Wilson play this week. Mostly because life is too short to see Flacc-enstein drop back for another pass.

JETFUEL1580, Cman68 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's always the issue with young QBs. There's too few coaches who actually know how to develop them, and/or they go into situations where the time needed for that and the surrounding talent isn't there.

Given Zach's obvious exceptional physical attributes, and his dedication to learning and improving, it will be a clear failure on the part of the franchise if he doesn't succeed.

Brook!, Noam, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Never be angry about the jets. They are too tragicomical for that.
    Zach ...I root for him but have no idea if he'll come good.

ukjetsfan, JETFUEL1580 and cval like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

TBF three of these teams have done a terrible job supporting their QBs, including NE, who doesn't even have an O coordinator or one play maker. SF already had a solid team in place but Lance got hurt. The Texans tried to, but they have worse luck than the Jets with injuries, and Metchie being diagnosed with cancer in camp. The Bears did next to nothing to help Fields.

The Jets did the most and the Jags second. But with our o-line issues it probably evens us out.

Borat likes this.
  12. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I have a good feeling abt this situation. I think the Injury and the time on the sideline ultimately helps Z Wilson. We seen how he improved last year by learning on the sidelines. Also these last 3 weeks there were plenty of things to learn from Flacco.

I think Zach will play well and show growth. Meaning he will not hold on to the ball, and will not lock on to 1 target. I wish he had a more stable Oline, but injuries happen and he has to learn how to win with a weak Oline. All good QBs mask the teams deficiencies, and give their teams a solid chance to win.

I see Zach Wilson throwing the ball 25x this game. Hoping we use quick pass plays to set up the long plays. If all goes well the RBs will have a big game this week. I wouldnt be surprised if we see Zach roll out a few plays to extend the play, so he will need to use his legs in this game.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Zach is inevitably going to run sometimes. Take what they give you and slide. We don't need you to be Breece Hall.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is an important aspect of his skill set which I think the CS tried to minimize to get him to learn how to stay in the pocket longer, but they're going to have to trust him to learn how and when to run more. One of the things that allowed Buffalo to survive Allen's struggles the first two years was the running threat he presented. I'm not saying Zach needs to run as much as Josh did, but I do think he needs to run enough to make the defense stop and think about it.

NY Jets68, KY Jets Fan, Borat and 3 others like this.
  15. JETFUEL1580

Accuracy is gonna be the most important thing I'm focusing on. I fully expect him to scramble around and for the Jets to run the ball. That's a given. Zach hasn't really thrown the ball down the field all that much due to our lack of deep threat weapons, but I need to see him hit those intermediate routes, and most importantly the sideline throws that we have seen the elite arms make. Zach was thought of by most scouts to have had the best and most liveliest arm in that draft class, and I haven't seen it yet. I've already seen his fellow QB class mate Lawrence, I've seen Burrow, and Herbert especially make these throws constantly. Mahomes and Allen make these throws on an every game basis as well. Mahomes has been since he became a starter. I'm still waiting to see if Zach can blow me away with his throws. I believe he can. Let me reiterate that as I've planted my flag on him as our QB. My biggest hope, and this is probably more of a Saleh and LaFleur issue is that he comes out of the gate firing. I don't want to see him and Garrett Wilson building a connection by week 14. The top young great QB's make those connections right away. I'm not saying throw the ball 50 times, but can we see a few big throws that give us more hope.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

3 words: "Run Zach Run"

17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Agreed on accuracy as a big thing to watch for. He had the yips on many short to intermediate throws, which was not something he dealt with in the past. It'll be a great sign if he's hitting those passes more effortlessly

Brook!, Jets79 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep, good Post with how rest are fairing. Jones had a good first year and after injury he will stabilize I think

I am setting that high bar for Zach cause I wanted TL and we didn't tank enough..after JD chose Wilson I warmed up to him and then came his rookie bumps and injuries. TBH his injury history bothers me the most frankly

But good points taken Cval!

19. JETFUEL1580

Exactly!

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My focus on looking at how Zach plays are:
    1. Is he calm in the pocket or nervous?
    2. Is he decisive and getting the ball out quickly?
    3. Is he hesitating and not trusting his reads?
    4. When he is rushed is he flustered or calm?
    5. How calm is his back foot on his drop. Is he bouncing on that back foot or is it calm allowing him to be ready to throw on time?
    6. Is he stepping into throws or is he getting sloppy with his left foot and not pointing it at the target?
    7. Is he taking easy yards scrambling?
    8. Is he taking easy checkdowns or forcing harder throws?
    9. Is he forming a connection with Wilson?
    10. Is he able to keep the chains moving on 3rd down?

Stats can be misleading. Mainly, I want to see how decisive he is and how calm he is in the pocket. Is he over thinking or playing relaxed?

Context also matters. If you hit a QB enough eventually they start running for their lives and all their mechanics break. The Buffalo game was a good example. At some point hits start taking a toll. Zach and MLF need to find a way to slow the rush and give Zach a little bit of time before we can make any evaluation of his play. Like Chrebet said this off-season it's impossible to judge a QB if they are always running for their life like Zach was last year.

#60 Noam, Sep 29, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022