Sen. Joe Addabbo wants the Jets to come back to Queens

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ROCCO, Sep 29, 2022.

1. ROCCO

ROCCO Active Member

On good authority (take from that what you will) I have been told that the Jets are currently exploring the idea of leaving MetLife Stadium and building their own venue in Queens. The franchise is being understandably quiet about this right now but there are wheels in motion and the idea is being moved along up through the pipeline.

This makes sense on a couple of levels - one of them being how the Jets could afford to do this - while continuing to increase the value of the franchise over the next 3-5 years ahead.

Consider that Woodrow Johnson bought the club for peanuts at approximately $635 million dollars at the time of the purchase - and the valuation of the Jets has increased by 5 times that amount currently. Money will not be a factor in moving this thing along. Johnson has been more motivated since the Bills announced they'd be building a new stadium.

As many know, the Jets own 50% of the Big Air Conditioner, a stadium far too big with nothing in the way of any signature aesthetics, and in reality, the move they made to partner with the Giants has not worked out at all for them and they're more than aware of this.

The Jets currently own 50% of MetLife, however, owning their own "retractable dome" stadium without any other team involved could see the overall value of the franchise sky rocket another 1.5 to 2 billion dollars more upon moving in to their new digs.

The Jets would sell the 50% share of MetLife back to the Giants (who would be doing cartwheels if this happened) and invoke their opt out after the 2025 season.

The new Jets-exclusive stadium would mean an abundance of revenue driving elements for the club, including other sporting events such as The Super Bowl, Final Fours, Concerts, exhibitions, ect, and there's no way that the Jets would be short any number of banks wanting to lend them some dollars to help them get it all done and move this project to the actual building phase.

The new Jets stadium would be built in the reclamation project known as Willets Point in Queens, with the Jets and Mets having their stadiums a walk across the street from each other.

Do not be surprised to begin hearing about all of this in the next few months ahead.

The Jets will keep their headquarters at the state of the art complex in Florham Park, New Jersey, and figure out simple travel logistics on game day weekends traveling the 30 miles or so to their new home in Queens.

The other nuclear option for the Johnson's is to sell the team outright, however, I've been told that Johnson would prefer to cement his ownership legacy by doing what he originally wanted to do when he first bought the team, and that was to return them to New York.

The "New York" in Jets is more than a good possibility at this point.

Of course, this could all fall through, but I'm told Johnson is motivated to do this and he feels that Jets fans will look at him in a different light when and if this project is ever fully consummated.

You heard it here: The New York Jets will be back in New York in either 2026 or 2027.

Hallelujah!

Vida, JetsKickAss, Savatage and 16 others like this.
  2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I would love this!

But first I want to hear more about the Giants "doing cartwheels" for a chance to buy the Jets' out. The general consensus is that MetLife kinda blows, right? So now the Giants are going to pay the Jets an enormous chunk of cash to walk across the river to make this huge splash in a fantastic new domed venue, which will surely be MUCH more attractive in every way than MetLife?

That will make the Giants do cartwheels? I'm not denying this is the reality, but I want to be educated on this.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Not sure if you're the first guy in with good news or just some Johnny-come-lately trying to stir the pot. I said the other day in another thread that the Empire State building was constructed in 410 days, it would be interesting to see how quickly this could be done. I fear the approval and permitting process and the ever ready NIMBY faction could take much longer to deal with than the nuts, bolts, bricks and bathrooms. I've been saying for years that the Jets should return to Flushing Meadows and even suggested a stadium like Indy's Lucas Oil would look great next to CitiField (that was an edit - I originally wrote "Shea").

There are two problems I see, apparently there are people in the city who are looking to build up the Rockaways by building a stadium there which is too remote and too hard to get to for most fans. The larger problem though is the FAA and their regulations that will not allow a stadium height structure to be constructed in the area where the junkyards and chop shops were cleared out. That could be minor though because there is enough space just west of the ball field for a stadium clear of LaGuardia's flight paths and plenty of parking to the east on the Willet's Point site.

4. ROCCO

ROCCO Active Member

The Giants would be doing cartwheels because they would then own 100% equity in ML stadium with the ability to reconfigure the stadium in some ways that would allow them to put a permanent imprint on the facility in addition to reaping all profits from other sporting events at the stadium, not to mention they too would be the exclusive tenants in the building once the Jets go back to Queens. The Giants would call in their entire staff to help the Jets pack up for the move.

egelband and Royal Tee like this.
  5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

They could build down so the stadium is not as high. That's what they did with so-fi. Not sure if this increases cost tho.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This sounds absolutely miserable for anyone who lives in all of the boroughs let alone Queens. Not to mention this will surely be a fun public finance opportunity.

I’d love it though. MetLife is trash.

papapump, Royal Tee and Cman68 like this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well I know there is a big Jets fanbase in Long Island area and in terms of attracting fans, Queens will probably be much better but as a New Jersey resident who lives 2 minutes drive from Jets Florham Park facility and 30 minutes drive to Metlife, I would lose my luxury of accessing Jets easily. So keep Jets in New Jersey damn it. Lol

8. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

You think the ticket prices are expensive now? Wait til we build a modern stadium on some of the most expensive dirt in the world using the highest priced labor and material costs. Not to mention the cash that would be needed to grease the pockets of the local politicians that would opposes this just because they can.

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

A new stadium of our own would likely change our luck. I'm all for it.

papapump and Cman68 like this.
  10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Same here. I live in Fair Lawn, NJ which is about 20 minutes from MetLife. For selfish reasons I hope they stay in NJ.

Brook! likes this.
  11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Fans would have to pay PSL's again and prices would also increase. MetLife may be "meh" of a stadium but I hope they stay there.

12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

True man--but really, guys paying psl fees to this sorry ass franchise must have a lot of disposable income so can't feel too sorry for them. Maybe I'm wrong?

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You are likely right but I’d have to hope that the fan base revolts to the PSL idea and tells the franchise to go pound sand. They did a good job as marketing them 15 years ago as having resale value. I have to guess everyone knows that was a Ponzi scheme by now.

14. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

This is a GOLDEN opportunity. Please don't F this up Woody!!

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

we gave up our seats back in 2016. My brother is disabled and couldn't take the 4 hour constant wind hitting him all day long even on nice 60 degree days. Stadium is a dump. We live 15 min away but if we wanted to make the ride home 2 hours instead of 3 we would have to leave early 4th. Nothing is good about it. Nothing

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I like the idea of a Jet only stadium right across from Citifield. If you've ever been to Lincoln field in Philly, it's right across from the Phillies stadium and near where the 76'ers play. A complete Multi sport area would bring in big money to the city and businesses nearby. Mets, Jets, Wimbledon... Accessible by train, plane and Automobile. Do it Woody. If he pulls this off, all sins forgiven.

egelband, horsehead, papapump and 4 others like this.
  17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

All the way from London? ;)

U.S. Open, of course. And maybe LeBron will want to put a major league pickleball franchise there!

Cman68 and Brook! like this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Long nite...:)

Brook! likes this.
  19. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

They are so pitiful I wish they'd move to Australia

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

If Woody can bring the Jets back to Queens I will stop calling him to sell the team