Fant placed on IR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Sep 27, 2022.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yup, I wanted Dean myself and he fell and fell and fell and not played, not easy being a GM.

Of course, the best GM's are the hindsight ones, they are always great ;)

Lon Chaney likes this.
  2. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I want to point out being on ir does not mean you are lost for the season.
    I want to point out that brown can come back next week and Fant a couple of weeks later. They may not but they are elegible. All this grief about what could be a temporary situation. Plus the recent sigings. The season is 17 games. This is week 4. Lets see how many games we are without a competent tackle (they all might stink but they are supposed to be competent)

cval likes this.
  3. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I actually thing it's fairly easy to be an average GM. The typical guy who watches college football religiously and has ESPN's draft site bookmarked, would have similar or better results drafting than 50% of the league. The hardest part of being a GM is not talent evaluation, but instead understanding the contract and salary cap rules.

4. K'OB

I think I'll stick with JD for now :)

dmw, azhar80, stinkyB and 3 others like this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I’d say still less than we ended up paying 37 yr old Duane Brown out of desperation once it was apparent Becton wasn’t playing.

Jets79 likes this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Agreed--I don't see us improving on him and he's getting better--long term GM would be great.

K'OB and cval like this.
  7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it

8. Unhappyjetsfan

It's worked swell for you so far.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Doubt it all you want.
    But he did in fact sign for considerably less than we paid Brown.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. JackBower

Because? He wanted to play for a contender. He said this. I'm just not sure where the grey area is. If someone wants to think more money would have changed that they are absolutely entitled to believe it.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Dean is being groomed. TJ Edwards is playing at an all pro level right now so Dean has to sit.

K'OB likes this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

for me, the grey area is that people say all kinds of things OTHER THAN I want to play for whoever pays me the most. That you never hear. Yet that is exactly what happens most of the time.

my contention is that had we made a serious offer to Moses, I’m sure we could have signed him. Would it have needed to be more than what he took from Baltimore? Maybe so. I’ll even say probably so. The only real question is HOW MUCH more.

that’s it.

and my next point is that I would’ve been just fine paying him more than what Baltimore is paying him to keep a decent player on the team instead of relying on Becton to stay healthy for 17 games at RT.

just my opinion, but I do feel pretty strongly that money ALWAYS talks, ESPECIALLY when it comes to players and contract, and all the talk about wanting to start or wanting to play for a contender is just plain bullshit that sounds nice but doesn’t really trump a good contract.

13. JackBower

I have heard a lot of players say, and choose, destinations that offered less money. Some take less money to play where they grew up, some take their favorite teams growing up, some choose winners

Kirk Cousins had a bigger offer on the table from the Jets, but choose the Vikings because he thought he win more faster. Moses is on the record saying he was interested in a contender because of how long he's played and not been on a playoff team. It's not getting his logic.

Not super interested if figuring out how much money would have changed Moses mind. There's no way to know what's even close.

#73 JackBower, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    cval likes this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agreed…no way to know…I’m sure there is a number that he would have taken but it’s all moot now anyway

JackBower likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Regardless, Brown was an awfully expensive 37 year old signing who hasn’t played a game yet. I posted the list below at the end of April.

I don’t feel like looking everyone up but as an example - Cameron Fleming won the Broncos right tackle job outright at 2 years/$7.5 million. JD should’ve done a better job earlier in the process finding a swing tackle. Brown also handicapped the team in that he’d force Fant over to the other side.

Most of these guys are still out there but this was well after free agency ended.

We ended up with the third highest paid average per year tackle available on the market. See below.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/tackle//

ConcordeChops, JackBower and azhar80 like this.
  16. K'OB

Well, it has actually, just because you refuse to see it isn't my problem tbh.

When was the last GM you seen at the Jets that could navigate the draft and trade rooms like JD?

Everything he does regardless of whether it works looks and feels professional, a professional GM again something not sighted in Jets land for a long long time.

This squad has more talent in it now than it has for 10 years plus, granted things need to click in place but we are not far off turning the corner all depends on Wilson and the CS, the latter is the biggest unknown.

bicketybam, cval and Nyjets4eva like this.
  17. JackBower

Great post. I guess we wont really know how it pans out until after Brown plays.. But there's a pretty good bar that's needed to clear.

I can't expect a GM to nail everything in an off season, but I felt good about the line depth when the year started, before Mehki got injured pretty much right away. I crushed Mehki for a while, but I trusted Fant if he had to take over LT which didn't work.

#77 JackBower, Sep 29, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  18. Unhappyjetsfan

Tannenbaum, and before that, Parcells, and before that Ewbank. But comparing Douglas to previous Jets GMs is kind of a worthless activity because the Jets might have the league's worst history of drafting and personnel moves.

Apparently Douglas is awesome but we're still one of the worst teams in the league ... why? Every fan thinks their team has improved its talent. They know they have talent when their team actually wins games. We don't win games (and we haven't the entire time Douglas has been here).

19. K'OB

Who said he was awesome?

I said professional in the way he moves through the draft and trades but yeah awesome.

Tannenbaum, 57-65, 7 seasons
    Parcells, 29-19 the much loved and worshipped Parcells managed one playoff place in his 3 seasons and cost us one of the game's best QB's
    Ewbank, 71-77-6 in 11 seasons, two playoffs but crucially won the big one.

Still, for all your claims it is hardly a plethora of constant success, is it?

If you need to see the team winning things before being able to see that some of the players have talent then that is on you and your blind blinkered eyes.

You keep with your site name, it is the one thing that makes you happy after all.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He really believes he would do a better job than JD.

K'OB likes this.