Fant placed on IR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Sep 27, 2022.

1. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I appreciate your opinion, and agree its bad-luck. But Ciminis post "If you're blaming Joe Douglas for #Jets current OT situation, you're reaching." Joe Douglas receiving 0 blame for any of this is reaching in my eyes.

Jets79, azhar80 and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Moses had nothing but great things to say about the Jets leading up to our Week 1 game against the Ravens. He also had words with Saleh on the field during an injury timeout during the game. When Training camp begun, we had Mcdermott and Edoga as our backups.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You can try to rewrite history if you want. Have at it.

Aero likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Brown was in the works to do just that. I do agree with you on this. McDermott should have been upgraded and released.which it would have been done if Brown was activated. Unfortunately, Fant added to the problem. We have shit for luck when it comes to injuries but we are not alone.

azhar80 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets essentially walked into training camp with their starting five (one of which was Becton as a huge question mark), Max Mitchell and the trash bag backups in McDermott, Feeney and friends. He then decided to roll with eight offensive lineman after final cuts.

How is he not to blame some? Yeah he signed Brown and Remmers because he literally had no choice. But we did not have a real NFL backup offensive lineman on the roster.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He was negotiating with Brown before training camp. There is that subtlety.

Borat and bicketybam like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Exactly. Brown came for a physical and they had a structure of a deal in place BEFORE Becton's injury. He was coming here regardless, if anything the fact Becton got hurt made it a bit harder to bring him since demand increased. To have 3 starting caliber LTs injured is not something any GM can easily overcome. Granted two of them were injury prone, but still to have all 3 on IR at the same time is a really bad low probability break.

On the bright side it might explain why Fant stunk so bad first 3 games: he played hurt and wasn't 100%, so there hope he can actually be decent in the future. Still, the guy only had one good season in his career, is injury prone, and is a big question mark, much like Mekhi.

8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I would have fixed the offensive line two years ago when everyone knew it was the biggest problem area on the team. I would have picked Wirfs with the Becton pick two years ago and Penei Sewell with the Zach Wilson pick last year. I also would have taken Josh Jones with the Mims pick and Tyler Biadasz with the Perine pick. As an aside, if I were Douglas, I'd be trying to do everything in my power to trade for Josh Jones right now.

I think I already said in one of the draft day threads that this is who I would have taken in the 2022 draft (if I had the same picks and couldn't trade them) ...

Kayvon Thibodeaux OLB Oregon
    Jordan Davis DT Georgia
    Devonte Wyatt DT Georgia
    Nakobe Dean ILB Georgia
    Daniel Faalele OT Minnesota
    Isaiah Spiller RB Texas A&M
    Jamaree Salyer OG Georgia

#48 Unhappyjetsfan, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Moses stated he wanted to play for a contender and start which was not a guarantee here. I'm not sure if you're the guy that was saying it's always about the money when this was discussed before, but it's just not true. If it was, then we would have to grossly over pay which is also a major problem.

Moses said these things in interviews, it's not a guess into his thinking.

So I'd still like to know who we could have signed

cval likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This discussion and your point was about not strengthen the OL in this years draft. Not about anything else. So you would have taken Salyer or Faalele over whom? JJ, Wilson, Hall? And not take Mitchell? Is that what you would have done.
    We got hands down the best CB to come out in years and the best WR we have had since....fill in the blank. Davis should be trsaded while he still has some value. Wilson is nothing but #1 WR material and then some

cval likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That would be milfo.

12. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Wow....Cimini the voice of reason?

13. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

No, I haven't mentioned money. Trent Brown is a name that got a reasonable contract. Also, Moses had nothing but great things to say about the Jets, so if Saleh was such a "Player coach" it could have got done. And I wouldn't of minded overpaying Moses as we have yet to shell out $ for Fant.

Also, not sure if I missed it in the past, but if you can send the Moses article/video clip on playing for a contender?

#53 JetDan, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Some clarification here. Improving tackle depth doesn't mean using extra roster spots on tackles. It means having better backups than Coner McDermott.

BacktoQueens, Jets79 and cval like this.
  15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Here's an example at the bottom of the article

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/morgan-moses-and-ravens-found-the-right-fit

How much would we would have to over pay to continue to play for a rebuild? Neither of us know, but it's bad business and something the jets have done for years.. over pay to vets. But you are completely entitled to the opinion

16. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Appreciate you sending it, this is more recent than some end-of-season articles I read:
    https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/mo...laying-for-new-york-jets-as-free-agency-looms

I still sincerely think he could have been swayed which is where the compensation comes in. We need to know what Zach Wilson is made of, or we will be right back in another "full rebuild"

At end of the day, we both have our opinions but I will agree this is bad luck but hard to explain Connor Mcdermott in depth.

JackBower likes this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

1 Injured
    2 positive flashes
    3 1 tackle
    4 has he played?
    5 nope
    6 god this is awkward but no games again
    7 confusing one site says 3 games and all the rest say no stats available.

You can GM, get your application form in for when they sack JD

FJF, JackBower and cval like this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Guys seriously

when is it NOT about the money??

how many players have we heard say “it’s not about the money…it’s about the (fill in whatever you want here, but I’ll give a few examples, such as “respect”, or “playing for a contender”, or “an opportunity to start”, or whatever else you want to put in there)

in the end, outside of Tom Brady (and I have my doubts here too because he’s probably been getting shit under the table for his TB12 training stuff) it’s ALWAYS about the money. And if they start a sentence with “It’s not about the money, it’s about…” then you can take it to the bank that it’s about the money. DeShaun Watson is the latest and biggest example of this…the Browns were out for not being a good fit or whatever other bullshit he said, then once they guaranteed the contract all of a sudden the Browns are a great fit after all! Funny how that works.

These guys have short careers and high injury risks. No one is leaving money on the table.

if you believe that then I don’t really know what to say other than you’re being too naive

That being said, there is no way I will believe that we could not have resigned Moses. OF COURSE we could have. We never had to tell him Becton and Fant are starting over him…we could have said you can compete and may the best man win. Or we could have said here’s the cash you’re the RT. Would we have had to pay a little more than maybe Baltimore had to pay? Maybe, sure. Guess what…WORTH IT. I would’ve rolled with Moses and told Becton HE’s the one who has to earn a spot…not the other way around.

in any case, that to me was the first mistake. The next one was not signing a better OT in free agency or using a first rounder on an OT…I’m not the scout so I don’t know which of the three first round OTs would be the best fit for us, but that’s what the GM is paid to figure out. I get that maybe all three may look rocky after three games, and maybe they’ll ALL bust, but odds are they won’t. I will give JD credit for Mitchell who has looked good for a fourth round pick pressed into a starting role sooner than probably he was expected to, so there is that, and maybe JD will have the last laugh here (I sure hope so!).

In any case, I get that having three starting OTs on IR is kind of unprecedented maybe and hard to give JD full blame for that, but honestly he does deserve blame here … there were clear signs of injury concerns, it’s not like this is out of the blue. Becton missed more games than he’s played and took a long time to recover from his prior injury. Fant had offseason surgery so he was coming off an injury. Brown I get has been durable but at 37 years old, it’s not unthinkable to conceive of injury risk maybe increasing due to age. None of this is rocket science.

So I’m one of the biggest JD supporters because I do like a lot of what he’s done, but there is no way I can give a full pass here I’m sorry.

No one is saying he should have five first round picks at OT, but there was PLENTY of obvious injury risk in our OL situation so he doesn’t get a pass here. Or how about this…someone made a comment about should we keep only 2 or 3 receivers so we can keep more OL? So no one is saying that, but how’s about maybe not keeping 18 damn DL, how about that? Maybe we can cut one DL?

Just frustrating but I won’t agree that this is a shocker and we have to give a pass because we have three OTs on IR. There were plenty of signs that this was a risk. And there were other options that could have been taken. We bet on Becton and we lost.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Coming off the injury Fant could be signed for depth if the asking price is low enough but we need to add at least two quality starters to the offensive line next year.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'll have to up my scouting department budget and hire more people.