The offensive line is not good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 26, 2022.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What were the odds on the scum winning the Superbowl when they down a ton in the 4th.

All that being said the Jets hit a gold homerun and all the talk of the Browns blowing it by scoring that TD needs to be put to bed, the odds were well in their favour of victory but who can legislate for sheer luck or a fix ;)

2. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I think JD built this oline perfectly for Zach. He’ll be running for his life making off platform throws all game long

twown likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

GW, EM and CD better be working on the scramble drills this week.

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Meh...

Who is working on anything in Jetsland?

The Johnsons scam of providing a defective product to ticket holders seems to be working fine

I give credit to those faithful to the cause

Because I would never subject myself to that level of heartache in person at MetLife ...its machochism:/

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

oh, who would've guessed......

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Good riddance

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It is what it is. Max currently has a higher PFF rating than either of those guys. Most people here on this forum only want results, and now that we have some in our favor, we should dismiss them? Sure, it’s only 3 games in and I’m not ready to say I’d prefer Max to either of those guys but it’s also a good indication as to how well he’s played so far considering his expectations. Max has also gone up against Garrett, Clowney, and Hendrickson at various points so it’s not like he’s out there playing against bums.

JD is in charge of building the entire team. The OL is a big part of this team, I grant you that, but if this unit hadn’t lost its top 3 OTs they’d be a very solid unit. It’s hard for any GM to acquire quality depth on the OL, let alone be able to sustain losing what we’ve already lost and still trot out a semi-capable unit. JD deserves some credit for that IMO.

bicketybam likes this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm satisfied with how Max is working out for a 4th rounder. But no way I'm going to say we should have taken him over the first rounders yet. Both Clowney and Hendrickson got hurt in their games and played less that 50 snaps, and we give Max a lot of help. Like I mentioned, ideally we would have taken Max and a tackle in the 1st. That's actually building young depth.

This is like during the offseason people were saying its a good thing we traded up for AVT cause Minn. took Barrisaw with our pick 24 and he got hurt, and didn't look great when he got in (in a sense people were saying the same about Sewell). Barrisaw is developing into one of the top OTs in the league, as is Penai Sewell. Its a longer trajectory to know who is good, and we both agree, its too early to judge.

The rest is rebuilding philosophy. I'm sold on building out from the front, but a lot of posters here aren't.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I just used those guys to make the same point you tried to make with Neal and Parsons. Max hasn’t been going up against chopped liver this season. He’s gone up against quality DLs and has produced better results than Neal or Ekwonu. We’ll see if those results hold over the long term but as of now, he’s been better.

It’s easy to go back with hindsight and tell everyone what should’ve happened but when you go back to when that draft happened, AVT was the only logical pick. Becton was coming off a rookie year where he looked really good and had *only* missed a few games (3 to be exact), we also had Fant who we had just given a decent chunk of change. Seemingly at that point in time, we were set at OT so Darrisaw (not Barrisaw) wasn’t really that much of an option for us. That wasn’t really the case at IOL though.

I agree with your philosophy and I think JD does too. It just appears that the way he’s going to go about that is different from what you would do/would have done.

ouchy and bicketybam like this.
  10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

ask yoursefl why that is...and you know the answer don't you.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Mitchell is a guy it is easy to root for. He shows real fire, has a good football head on his shoulders and shows flashes of real quality play. He still needs work, of course, but he was always meant to be more of a developmental project. I think he could be an answer at right tackle for a long time.

REVISion and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  12. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

He should be cut TODAY. That's how bad he is.

13. HackettSuxTNG

Again, he had FOUR picks in the top 75 of this year's draft to bolster the OL, and he spent NONE of them doing so. How can you say it is hard to acquire quality depth when he had so many opportunities to do so?

14. HackettSuxTNG

While we are all focused on wins and losses (as we should be as fans), the biggest travesty of this offensive line is that it will prevent us from getting a clear evaluation of the maximum potential of Zach Wilson. We risk the chance of not knowing his full capability because he will be too busy getting pulverized to properly be appraised.

15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

He also picked OL in the first round the previous 2 drafts and signed a high level FA this off season. Let's also not pretend that CB, WR and DE weren't holes that needed to be filled this year. However, I would contend that they didn't need to trade back up to get JJ and you can definitely argue that maybe OL could've been taken over Hall.

I think the biggest issue here was the misjudging/mishandling of the Becton situation.

REVISion likes this.
  16. HackettSuxTNG

OK, that's fine. This team absolutely had other gaps to fill, no question. But you can't sit here on one hand and argue that its hard to acquire OL Talent, while on the other hand the GM chose NOT to use a single one of his top four picks in the draft towards the OL. That is my issue.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

LOL, we have three first-round draft choices on the OL. GW, Sauce, JJ, BH- Who would you have not drafted and then who would you have drafted instead?

JD did not make a mistake in the draft. He made a mistake not bringing a backup tackle soon enough. Now we know Fant has never been healthy and the questions with Becton he needed to address this sooner. To play the what-if game if Duane worked out we would be calling JD a genius the way Max Mitchell is playing.

18. HackettSuxTNG

How are they working out?

Right or Wrong, JD had the opportunity to improve the OL. If it is so difficult to acquire OL talent as was suggested earlier in this thread, than why not take advantage of such a rare opportunity to do so?

Again, I am not questioning the choices that was made in the draft. I am questioning the statement that it is more difficult to acquire OL talent. If that is the case, why not use ONE of four picks to do so?

JD made a conscious decision not to acquire OL talent. That's just a fact.

ouchy likes this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Max Mitchell? I am not sure what you are arguing then. Should or should he not have drafted and OL with one of the first four picks? if so whom and how are they working out with the team that drafted them?

20. HackettSuxTNG

I think that at the time of the Draft, there was definitely enough questions about the reliability of Mekhi Bechton that the OL should have been included in the first four picks.

I would also argue that as good as Garret Wilson appears to be, if the offensive line was properly staffed, multiple wide receivers could be generating similar results he is producing right now.

ouchy likes this.