Fant placed on IR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Sep 27, 2022.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We are only carrying 2 WR's? Wow. Didn't know this.

2. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

thankfully that contract extension we've been reading about for months never panned out. for once the player imploded before we made them insanely rich. guess we'll have to blow it elsewhere.

3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Who else should they have gotten at tackle, in your opinion, last off season to go with the guys we already had and the pick we used on a tackle?

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

How on earth are you supposed to build a team from the onset with triple back up because of prior injuries and the fear of the potential that may be not one, not two, but the three top OT are likely to go to IR at the same time. You simply can not ever accommodate such craziness and balance the roster. Massive reach.

bicketybam likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It’s an unfortunate concentration of injuries no doubt.
    But re-signing Moses should have been a no brainer. We needed some depth and consistency on the line considering the unknowns with Becton.

Jets79, ouchy and REVISion like this.
  6. bicketybam

Moses didn't want to sign with us.

dmw likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

Moses. He was already here and we let him walk.

8. bicketybam

See above

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Dan,

You realize when Joe D went after Brown we had Becton and Fant healthy. And Becton came to camp in good shape. How could he have known all 3 of Becton, Fand and Brown would end up in IR?

You can't plan for that. Otherwise you have to carry less WR or TE or RB or something. Joe D has his mistakes but this isn't one of them in my humble opinion.

10. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Instead of sending a list of free agents, to start I would have resigned Morgan Moses. I think more-so the question is(Before any injury) how do you go into the season with Connor Mcdermott as your backup LT when the future of the team is contingent on Zach Wilson.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  11. BacktoQueens

Then why did he sign with us in 2021?
    If there was zero chance to sign him (which I’m not buying) then we could have pivoted to a different vet for the right side.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. bicketybam

Two different years with two different situations. Your grasping at straws.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  13. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Moses wanted to start.
    Moses wanted to start.
    Moses wanted to start.

(Fant and Becton were our starters in March, with the potential of drafting another OT in April... there was no place for him here).

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

Pretty sure they signed Brown only after knowing Becton was going to IR.
    And Brown being a LT meant moving Fant and shaking the whole line up.
    Injuries were rough for any team, but this position also wasn’t handled well.
    Too much banking on Becton with no backup plan imo.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Cimini's wrong. He asks if we should have had a first round pick as our OT5, but the truth is (unless it was a terrible pick), it would have been OT3 at worse (our primary backup ahead of Mitchell). And the answer to that question is yes, having a first round pick be your primary backup (and possible starter) at OT is definitely something Douglas should have done. It's not like Wilson isn't our WR3/4 and Jermaine Johnson isn't our DE3.

16. BacktoQueens

Same team same position, same unknowns with Becton. It’s grasping as straws not to recognize any form of backup plan for Becton not being available or effective.

Jets79 likes this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well when the hosted Brown Becton was still healthy on practice field. They didn't bring Brown in when Becton got hurt. That's what I meant. Yes they probably were more motivated to sign him after Brown went down.

RochesterJet likes this.
  18. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Well to start, go back to the root of the issue. The Jets took a gamble with Becton this offseason trusting he'd be healthy when he hasn't shown otherwise. It was a gamble that backfired when we aren't really in the best position to gamble(Joe Douglas Blame) This has had a trickle down impact, as Fant never got comfortable in either tackle position. Then the Fant/Duane Brown injury. All of this is unfortunate and bad luck-I agree, but then for the next viable option to be Connor McDermott is just unacceptable IMO. I love Sauce and am happy we drafted him, but I would have been fine with Ickey, just because more depth will help Zach's growth and that should be the only thing that matters at this point.

Can't say I know much about the (2) tackles recently signed, but hopefully they can stop the bleeding

Jets79 likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Please enlighten us with who would have picked in the draft instead and how well is he doing so far. Wilson receiver 3/4? In what universe?

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Here Is my main issue. It's very obvious that Fant has been injuried for the majority, If not all, of the off-season. He hasn't looked right once this year.

THIS alone should've made things a high priority, especially when our starting QB got injured In the preseason.

I like Fant a lot. I think he is extremely good when healthy. He wasn't though, that should've been enough.

We should've drafted another tackle or at the very least, traded for a potential steal on someone's roster at the tackle position.

This Is a HUGE error and It doesn't seem like It's going to end well for us fans.

Fuck them. It's all about the fans at this point. IMO.

We deserve soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better.

Jets79 likes this.