Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jojo, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

I want to see what becomes of this defense team meeting with Dj Reed. I would EXPECT, that they come out firing on all cylinders, not just vs Steelers, but carry into the next games.
    Seriously, this defense scheme is totally shit. We couldn't even figure out to use COVER 2 repeatedly, like the other teams did vs cincy to beat them. We ran it TWICE. I have no idea what they are actually trying to do defensively. Mess.

Ulbrich will be fired...he should be let go, he has ZERO clue. We do nothing consistently, on defense.

dmw and boozer32 like this.
  2. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

If they did not come out on fire after what should have been a franchise altering miracle win, then I don't see how anything would motivate these over paid stiffs to play well. Hope I am wrong but I see them making TrueBiscuit look like Big Ben allowing 400 yards and 30+ points Sunday.

boozer32, SOJAZ and Jets69 like this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I can blame Ulbrich for game day calls but for the game plan Saleh has to be held accountable as well.

This was the down fall of Bowles l, he has to much faith in his friend Defense of Coordinator.

Saleh has to realize that Ulbrich has not earned that right. Ulbrich can help with strategy but Saleh should be calling the defense.

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The problem is not the defensive play overall. The defense is mostly playing well. It is the breakdowns and big plays. Saleh is right with 4 new members of the secondary there will be breakdowns and miscommunications. This season has always been a transition developmental year. With young talent and 13 new starters it will be developmental year with flashes of good play and agonizing mistakes. The defense is vastly improved over last year but is still it's own worst enemy. Hopefully the defense and the team will progress as the season goes on. As a fan this year is about patience and looking for progress. There are plenty of signs of progress on both sides of the ball the first 3 games. what we should want to see is a defense and offense that are both playing on average to a high level by the end of the season, less mistakes and progress by our young players. Wins/Losses was the never the measure of progress this year.

Fans, especially fans that have suffered like Jet fans have, will overreact to every loss/win and simply have no have no patience or concern for the big picture. If one is going to enjoy a year like this one has to change their expectations and enjoy the good while accepting the mistakes. That is what young teams do they make lots of mistakes. 1977 was our last true rebuild before this one and 1977 was a great year to watch the Jets. While the record was awful it was obvious to anyone who watched the 1977 Jets that by the end of the year the Jets were a different team. Hopefully we can say the same about this team by the end of the year.

#4 Noam, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Your post makes too much sense.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I have heard this exact excuse for a minimum of 3 years in a row at this point.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

3 years?

This goes back to 2018 at least.

8. REVISion

Yeah, I was trying to be generous.

Br4d likes this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We will see how Saleh adjusts his defense OR how players learn it over the course of the next 14 games. This year has always been and always will be a developmental year. They do need to improve in the win column from last year though.

My main gripe with Saleh is his insistence on rotating our best defensive linemen in and out of the game. Why are Quinnen Williams and Carl Lawson playing less than 70% of the snaps? Aaron Donald plays 95% plus snaps a game. Yes, I know it's Aaron Donald but the point still stands -- Keep your best defensive players ON THE FIELD. Jermaine Johnson played 29% of snaps vs Cincinnati. TWENTY NINE!

The Jets do the same thing offensively with their WRs. The Jets are not good enough to have Jeff Smith taking snaps in a game. If you run 11 personnel, put Davis, Moore, and Wilson on the field. I won't turn this thread into an offensive related one so I'll stop there.

I think Saleh is too stubborn for his own good. His insistence on jamming cover 1 and cover 3 schemes onto our defense in a league where cover 2 defenses thrive and rotating our defensive linemen will be his undoing.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The really scary thing to me is that it is going to stretch forward probably until 2026 at this point. Longer if the Johnson's don't fire JD and Saleh after this season.

Assuming regime change after this year it will take until 2024 to flush the trash and get things really started. If JD gets to do next year's draft we'll be in reset mode through 2025.

Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  11. REVISion

Yeah, this season probably ends with an Ulbrich scapegoat firing and Saleh and/or JD getting an undeserved extra year.

HomeoftheJets and Br4d like this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I really really hope that's not what happens

That's a nightmare Groundhog Day scenario..that we see Season after Season

How can anyone here stay a Fan???

If The GM doesn't do something drastic before the last game is played he will be the embarrassment of the NFL

Remember how we all believed JD was so highly thought of in NFL circles when he first got here?

To me he is plus 2 for 3 on the draft class, -1 for QB and -3 for Coach selection

The Jets, Douglas the whole organization will reach new levels disrepute and hillarity in the local and national media

How does anyGM deal with that ??

13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm done supporting this team and that includes message boards. In solidarity we should all leave the forum! Do it!

Noam likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As always I tend to agree with you in your assessment, but having said that, there is no excuse for the DL poor performance against the pass particularly on third down. None. It is not a communication issue. There is also no excuse for unnecessary game killing penalties. That’s just discipline. Saleh needs to take a more active role on play calling. Im still not convinced our play calling is solid.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My apologies. I will do my best in the future to overreact to the emotions of the moment and demand ring of honor busts when we win and for everyone to be fired when we lose.

bicketybam likes this.
  16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

N, nice post well thoughtout and hope your right regarding the team but the progress you see... However, reality paints a different picture because under this CS their record is 5-15. Furthermore, under our GM his overall record is 14-38. Take a look at the following and tell me you see progress?

Team Results
    ">Lg Job Title W L T Win-Loss Percentage of team
    New York Jets NFL General Manager 7 9 0 .438 0 0
    2020 New York Jets NFL General Manager 2 14 0 .125 0 0
    2021 New York Jets NFL General Manager 4 13 0 .235
    2022 New York Jets NFL General Manager 1 2 0 .33
    Total 4 Years 14 38
    2019-2022

I guess it depends on prespective...I see an undisciplined team that lacks situational awareness... But what is the most gaulling issue for me is.... What is the team idenitity? We all understand that they want to build a winning culture but how is that possible when the only consistent thing is the losing.... let alone builting a a culture that promotes winning.

Win more then you lose, stop the double digit loses - which is eerily reminiscent of AG tenure- and then maybe you get better fan support. Until then, I am highly doubious of this CS ability to coach much less create a wining culture.

HomeoftheJets and Noam like this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I vow to only buy counterfeit Jet swag! :mad:

[​IMG]

Pepsiguy5 and bicketybam like this.
  18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Turning around a losing culture is extremely hard and the odds are against any coaching staff doing so. I would argue it is even harder in NY where so much attention is given to every mistake.

I am with you I am doubtful as to our ability to succeed. I won't believe it until I see it. But, I do not deny the improvement and the young talent. This team is miles better than the 2020 team and the 2019 team. The 2019 team only won 7 games because they played an extraordinary once in a lifetime schedule of terrible teams.

This team flashes but they make mistakes. That's what young players do. Will they put it all together at some point? I think it's up to the offense. Zach Wilson and MLF will need to find ways to sustain scoring drives. They certainly have the talent on offense. How long will it take? With 13 new starters and so many young players I cannot imagine it happening over night. My bet is they will make us hate being a Jet fan a lot this year. But the pieces are there for future success. Will it ever click. I hope for one game this year where everything clicks on both sides of the ball. The process as to how the team has been built is sound. But, we still need a lot of luck or find a way to get average QB play.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Did you watch what Saleh said about this? He disagreed with that stat and explained his view pretty well. Do you think he was mistaken? Why?

20. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Slapping the label "excuse" on his points don't make them any less valid.

Noam and bicketybam like this.