The offensive line is not good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fant has been pretty reliable for the past 15-16 games but he was downright awful yesterday. McGovern is merely an average center at best and the Jets have made absolutely zero effort to try to either get someone to push him or groom as a replacement.

AVT has been good. He blows people off the ball. Tomlinson has been pretty bad all year long as was somewhat expected when he no longer plays between two Hall of Famers.

Mitchell wasn’t good yesterday either. We have no depth at any single position. But hey. At least we have a lot of edge rushers.

Royal Tee and ouchy like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how the OL is with ZW under center because he can move unlike Flacco.

It is pretty pathetic how much money + resources we have invested into both sides of the ball and how bad they both are.

NY Jets68, KY Jets Fan, Jojo and 2 others like this.
  3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

we still lack the guys who know what groceries to buy

SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Do we have to do this after every loss? Every game we lose someone is taking an "I told you so" victory lap. We are three games in.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Tomlinson seems to be a bad signing.

In SF he was playing next to the best left tackle in the NFL.

Cutting him after this season means eating the rest of his signing bonus (close to $9 mil) but he needs to play a lot better to justify the $12 mil salary he is scheduled to receive in the next two years.

6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

No question that Wilson can move better than Flacco. The real question is how much additional time does that buy the offensive line, and is the unit good enough to even meet that standard?

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There’s no victory lap and this isn’t about I told you so. You’re just being sensitive.

Do you think the Jets offensive line has played well this year after three games?

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is I told you so. That is not the point, I do not think the O-line is playing as bad as being portrayed. The play calling has been suspect, playing from behind, Joe holding the ball too long with zero escapability, and not running the ball all contribute to making the o-line look worse than it is.

Fiftynine likes this.
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Chicken / egg scenario.... O-line is NOT good, but Flacco just standing there looking to airmail over receiver's heads down the field sure doesnt help.

SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and Jets69 like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

OL has been shit so far. We can blame injuries but the issue to me is relying on Becton was stupid and entirely avoidable if JD had taken a different approach in free agency and/or the draft. But to keep hearing excuses about injuries and time to gel and shit three years into his tenure is just brutal. Unacceptable.

SOJAZ and HackettSuxTNG like this.
  11. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Yeah I seem to remember early on in yesterday’s game at least that Flacco was able to drop back pretty far and had a good few seconds to throw.

He’s not one to step up into a pocket though, or move laterally, which makes things harder for the OL.

And the play selection didn’t give him many options. Not many featuring the TEs. Moore was seemingly used exclusively as a sideline burner. Run plays were called consistently and thus easy to sniff out.

Not to say the OL would dominate if these concerns were addressed, but at least they’d be serviceable.

12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

How many more decades are we going to beat this dame broken record, instead of stating the obvious were just a piss poor team.

But i watched the Bills game yesterday, and they must have a piss poor offensive line, because Allen was getting shelled, but still played extremely well, in that note, the Dolphins and Bills defense is going to eat us alive

SOJAZ, JETFUEL1580 and Jets79 like this.
  13. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Its the same..I saw this movie last year, and year before performances. If they weren't so efficient at being this bad, we wouldn't have to keep wondering and asking.
    Its NEVER consistent, 3 stellar complete games a year, WONT cut it.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FJF and ouchy like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

JD doesn’t know how to do what needs to be done.

Buying declining vets high not only doesn’t solve the problem or push it down the road- it makes the problem worse.

ouchy likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I agree but if they can get it fixed and some how win against the Steelers we are in good shape. If they come out and make Trubinsky look like an all pro I will probably lose all my optimism. I have seen enough good things so far but, It has to get better.

#16 cval, Sep 26, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well yeah 2-2 out of this start I’d be happy with….my problem is I don’t see it happening…I see no way our OL will hold up against a historically good pass rushing team, even without their best player in Watt. Their blitzes will confuse our already shit OL…Zach or no, it’s not like he’s an established QB by any means…he’ll be running for his life.

I think Trubisky sucks, but I think our D sucks more, and the Steelers O will likely be able to do enough to win the game, factoring in a bunch of mistakes by our beleaguered offense…let’s see, how many miscues can we expect to see? Two or three turnovers? A couple picks and maybe a fumble or two? Pretty much the same shit we’ve seen for three games already?

does ANYONE have any confidence in our coaching staff right now? Do we think we’ll get creative on O? Do we think they can scheme pressure from our DL? Do we think they’ll get our guys to stop making stupid penalties?

look, I LOVED the Browns win…and I give the guys full credit for taking advantage of the Browns mistakes (that usually happens TO us rather than FOR us), but that game was a miracle of a win and did not show that we can dominate a game. By all rational reviews, we could easily be 0-3 right now…glad we’re not, but it’s not like we had a convincing win where we dominated. And all the feel good shit went right out the window the very next game…it didn’t even last a damn week.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Going back and watching some of these play calls it is baffling. I am not sure how LaFleur is getting a pass. We need to bring someone in to help with play calling.

SOJAZ and Royal Tee like this.
  19. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Getting tired of those WR screens too?

20. NYsportsfan1962

I'm just surprised that being a former offensive lineman has had little positive impact on JD's selection of OL players over his tenure. Other than AVT, the offensive line has been shaky at best in every position. The Becton decision, and I'll give him a break in drafting him, but the way he was handled this year was inexcusable. When Becton didn't show up in any of the voluntary workouts and then showed up overweight you knew something was wrong and JD really didn't have a plan B.

Not sure what they are going to do if Fant is out this week and still no word on the return of Duane Brown other than IR (is he out for the year?). We may get Zach killed if he has any of his hold the ball too long bad habits. Season on a bit of teetering badly in the next couple of weeks. This is where Saleh has to do some coaching.

SOJAZ, Jets79 and ouchy like this.