Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I give up. The only person that said Zach is mentally scared of reinjury is you. Apparently you have a hard time comprehending posts other than your own. The dribble about I like my QBs tough, now where is that shit coming from? Has Zach shown anything to the contrary? Mentally ready, for the last time, is when you know your body is really not near 100% capability, thus you compensate your playing ability accordingly, sub optimizing your strengths, avoiding leveraging in this case the weak knee.
    Fact is he is jumping at the bit get out there, he would have played two weeks ago, he ain’t scared of shit. Its up to the CS to temper eager to make sure he is 100% mentally capable to play at the highest level with full range of motion using 100% of the playbook. Medically cleared or not.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The (kinda) good news is if Zach proves to be a dog rather than a dawg... we've added enough decent talent that another
    quarterback can step into a good situation and make some hay.

Of course our defense is still a shitshow... but hey... it's a "process"...

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

For those trying to guess if Flacco will stay in if the jets keep winning

“Zach is the future of the organization, we all know that,” coach Robert Saleh said earlier this week. “As soon as the doctors clear him, we will get him on the field.”

“Well, I don’t want to be a broken record,” Saleh said. “But I’ll be happy to answer that question a million times over when Zach is healthy and ready to go — but Zach is the future of the team.”

ColoradoContrails, azhar80 and Borat like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Isn't that the same guy who two weeks ago said Wilson might start even though he hadn't even run in practice after his surgery?

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

One addresses who the starter will be long term, the other was addressing when Wilson may return from the injury. Was pretty clear unless you just want to split hairs.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, a lot of people knew Sam would be great, and a lot of people knew he would bust. Similarly people knew that Allen would be amazing and others also knew Allen would bust. Opinions were all over the place. There was talk of Allen going top overall in a trade, and Sam was mocked top overall by most until a day before draft. The bottom line is that both QBs were highly rated in NFL circles, which is why they were picked top 7. They had a decent likelihood of success relative to rookie QBs, and ultimately, with some other factors, like Daboll and Bowles/Gase, considered Allen hit and Sam didn't. Then these who predicted this outcome for either guy said they "knew" it. The truth is no one really knew shit at the time. I am really hoping Zach hits, so that the group that said previously they "knew" he would be great turns out to be right. And the Jets win big in the process.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed on the second part, but we can't really discount Flacco's play at the end of the game. Yes he could have done better, but still, this was a darn good game. 300+ yards with decent ypa, 4 TDs and 0 INTs, while leading a 4th quarter comeback win is an excellent performance by any measure. Let's give credit where credit is due: after listless opener, Flacco came up with the goods in game two. And now I am hoping for another good performance tomorrow, with Zach taking over in game 4 regardless of the outcome.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very true. The bold in particular, IMO, was a massive contributor towards developing one and putting him in a position to succeed, versus no development hardly at all , throwing him out there with a pat in the back and say “ Do your job”

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think there is anything to revisit. We know what Flacco is. He was never a great QB, but he had some really good moments throughout his career. He was capable of having a great game or a terrible one, consistency was always a problem even in his glory days. It has gotten worse as he got older. If we get lucky enough for him to perform well in 2 of 3 games Zach is out, including against Bengals, we take this and count our blessings. Then Zach starts in game 4 regardless. There is no need to wait for Flacco to put up a stinker to bench him in favor our actual starter, because it is bound to happen sooner rather than later. I just hope it does not happen this Sunday.

The only way I see Flacco starting over Zach when he is healthy is if Flacco plays well against Bengals, and then Zach comes in and actually sucks for several games in a row and Jets lose these games. I just don't see it happening, but say Jets go 2-1 with Flacco having 8 TDs and 2INTs, then Zach puts up last year's numbers for next 3-4 games with Jets getting blown out like last year. Then we might actually have an answer on whether Zach is FQB sooner than anticipated and might as well put old Flacco back in. I doubt it will happen this way though.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It may have very well contributed this. I remember Ghosts game where even the commentators were angry at Gase saying stop having him throw down the field, help your young QB a little bit with short screen passing. Also, it didn't hurt that Allen got Diggs to throw to the same year Jets downgraded Anderson to Perriman to be #1 WR. There were definitely other factors, and we will never know what would have happened if the Jets draft Allen and Bills did Sam. Maybe ultimately it would lead to the same outcome, at least in Sam's case. But how young QBs are brought does matter a lot in their future development.

First year Zach didn't also have the tools. Leading NFL in drops and having likes of Smiths, Montogomery, Griffin, and Black with Berrios #1 WR in many games and no good TEs in his arsenal is not it. Now though Zach I feel has the tools that Sam didn't. We saw what Flacco did last game. Heck even in the first game, with a slightly better QB performance, we could have won too. Weapons are solid. I am not prepared to say we have Stefon Diggs yet, but hey, if GW plays tomorrow the way he did in first two games, we might have a star receiver on roster too. The point is that framework is there for Zach to succeed, unlike what it was for Sam, who likely would have failed regardless, but still. Zach needs to go out there next week and take advantage.

#1070 Borat, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

First let me just say the hiring of Gase by the substitute owner was the worst HC hire ever. It set this team back three precious years. He should have fired that incompetent GM first and let some one competent hire the HC.Im still angry about that. It pisses me off that an NFL owner of one of the wealthiest franchises just takes a BS ambassador job to boos his ego demonstrating a massive disregard for the well being of one of the most loyal franchises.
    Second, you are spot on about the situation of our QBs. Having said that, when Zach comes back, he needs to worry about his performance and his performance only, short of hoping for some more improvement in the OL, he has every tool in the arsenal to make it with this offense. Cant wait to see how he develops now. He will make a few mistakes, but he need to make a large improvement this year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

A bit is the little metal thing that goes on a horses mouth. Horses Champ. The phrase has been misquoted to the point where either champing or chomping are acceptable. Jumping at the bit still isn’t a thing.

Ralebird, twown and LAJet like this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If we end up getting a team we can be proud of, the hiring of Gase would have been one of the things that got us where we are. Hopefully if we find success you can release that anger.

Noam likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You might be100% right, assuming hiring JD was Gase’s doing.

Noam likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Love it. Point taken. I think Zach has been Chomping or chewing at the mouthguard to play.

azhar80 and KingRoach like this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The best thing is, I am not even sure what he did over here in the UK, he barely got a mention.

LAJet likes this.
  17. Ralebird

I was speaking to the reliability of the information when the source was the same. That is not at all "splitting hairs".

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Give it up.

19. Ralebird

OFF TOPIC.

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.