Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Let’s be real here, Flacco had a nice game which was certainly helped by Cleveland dumbfuckery. He didn’t do anything special and an argument could be made that a better QB wouldn’t have needed the miracle finish.

Bottom line, Zach starts when’s he’s ready(hopefully WK 4) whether we are 2-1 or 1-2.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed. I think they will find out he is more than capable. Once he returns and succeeds, we can finally stop having discussions like this, but he needs to prove it on the field. (and stay on the field)

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Whats in people head is that were in a rush to see how good Zach is. He could have a mediocre season and he'll still be our starting QB next year. He'll be here for a while. We wont start making replacement plans until 2024. We don't "need" to see what Zach is ASAP. If he has even a little discomfort in the knee week 4, I'd sit him.

Ralebird and twown like this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It's a fair point BUT, the schedule gets noticeably "easier" after 10 games.

I can foresee people using the schedule as a negative if Wilson performs average or better vs. the latter competition.

He needs experience (wins, too) against tougher competition which not only builds his knowledge base but also forges confidence "you can beat anyone".

#1024 GQMartin, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    ColoradoContrails, Brook! and ouchy like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not that it's perfect by any means but PFF has flacco top 5 in the NFL gradewise

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That kind of proves it really.

stinkyB and cval like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

We wouldn't be having this discussion if it was a given that Wilson is better than Flacco and it is no given that Wilson was substantially better at the end of last season. Mismanagement has been the key word in how the Jets have treated Wilson as he was clearly not prepared to start playing quarterback in the NFL at the beginning of last season.

Jets79, ouchy and NJJets like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If he has a mediocre season, then for sure he should be back next season. Mediocre of course being a 2/1 TD/INT ratio and a passer rating not much below 90.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And about 225 yards a game; the 170 he had in his late season last year doesn't cut it.

Jets79, HomeoftheJets and Acad23 like this.
  10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

This times 1000. It’s funny because it seems all the Zach fans are all suddenly fine with Flacco starting and letting Zach learn and heal. That was the move last year, now we don’t have time. We need to see this kid prove himself now. The last thing in the world this team can afford is going into next season still wondering if Zach may or may not be competent and banking on a prayer that he is. It’s time for Zach to toughen up and go prove he’s worth what we’ve invested in him.

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Zach fans? We are JETS fans that want our number 2 drafted QB to succeed and give him time to develop. We expect miracles out of our QBs and expect young Qbs to look like seasoned vets by their second start. How successful a young QB is has a lot to do with circumstance. SHitty o-line, shitty weapons, Shitty defense the QB looks really bad. The opposite the young QB looks competent.

Just look at Burrows's numbers under pressure. I think Zach needs to get out there but he needs to be healthy or the media and fans will crucify him. Zach is still better than Flacco but he does only have 12 starts. Watching Pittsburgh without Watt last night is the perfect game for him to return.

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Umm, Zach is NOT better than Flacco. Zach may have potential to be better, but he is not better than Flacco right now. Zach needs to be on the field. The sure fire way to NFL purgatory is the keep putting off a questionable QB’s requirement to prove he’s worthy of being a starter in the league. This isn’t 1985 anymore, we don’t let QB’s sit and learn for years. They cost too much, and their 2nd contract will be way too big to make decisions based on potential at that point. We need to know for certain with confidence that Zach is our guy by the end of the season. If we’re unsure we either need to draft competition or sign a much more competent FA and make Zach earn the job in year 3. Zach was awful last year. You can sugarcoat it or point to a couple broken plays as hope but no doubt about it he was awful. Joe Flacco has played worlds better in 2 games than anything Zach string together. Zach needs to put his big boy pants on and get out on that field and show that he’s worthy.

Jets79 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

LOL... PFF is definitely not performing at 110%

#1033 stinkyB, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    The Waterboy likes this.
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am not going to rehash all the crap that was spewed this off-season. I think Flacco is a fine back-up and nowhere near Zach's talent level at this stage in his career. Flacco has had a great career won a Superbowl and came from a small school himself. Did you actually watch Flacco play these last two games? We need Zach out there ASAP.

I agree with you that Zach needs to play but I do not think it is his decision not to. The Jets will not play him until the Doctors release him. I was the first to say he needs to suck it up and play but as I stated I do not think it is his decision.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely. If he is both physically 100% and cleared, but more importantly he is also mentally 100% ready and confident then he needs to play. I think week 4 could be ideal because the Steelers are more susceptible to the run and more vulnerable to a mobile QB, particularly without Watts.
    But the kid need to be ready to the challenge in both mind and body. Can't afford to see ghosts as his predecessor.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Whether Flacco is better than Zach right now is irrelevant. Flacco isn't our future. The most important thing for us to do this season, by far, is determine whether Zach might be the guy for us at QB. We have to play him ASAP.

17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is, by PFF standards, Joe Flacco is... elite?

18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I agree, when he’s healthy he needs to play out the season for better or worse. I have watched Flacco play and I agree he’s not very good. But right now, today, he is playing better football than Zach ever has. All Zach has is potential to be better than Flacco, and he needs to be on the field immediately when he’s healthy so we can evaluate and see if he’s capable of turning his potential into actual results. If the end of this season leaves us with questions about Zach then we need to at least ramp up the pressure to show him he’s gotta shit or get off the pot.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Flacco is not going to make this team good enough to win the SB this year, so robbing Wilson of experience we will need from him to determine whether he can just to hopefully make a playoff push jeopardizes the team’s ability to become a contender.

Wilson needs the experience this year, and the team needs a clearer picture of him to determine whether he should be our QB into the future. Even if he sucks and we miss the playoffs it is better for the team to learn that now rather than make the playoffs and lose with Flacco.

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.