Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Did you watch the games? He did play better than Flacco minus the Bills game. Either way, Zach is the starter when he is healthy, Flacco is a back-up. If Zach is not the guy Flacco is definitely not the answer.

ColoradoContrails, Jeff M and Borat like this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Nobody said Flacco was the answer? And no, Zach was not better than Flacco last season, even minus the Buffalo game. People may not want to accept it, but the last two years Flacco has been a very effective game manager in this offense.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this is true. Flacco played well in his one start last year and he was mediocre in game 1 and decent in game 2.

ouchy likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Zach Wilson is healthy Week 4, he should start. Even if the Jets are (2-1) with Flacco. The main reason is Zach needs to get experience.

Just take 3 examples of Josh Allen, Tua, and Hurts. They each have improved the more they played. Even if Zach struggles or the team has to deal with growing pains, it could lead to great success in 2023 and beyond.

In my opinion, Zach will be an upgrade over Flacco, but I am just saying for those who want to ride the hot hand. Flacco might be more stable and give you a better chance to beat the Steelers, but Zach getting that experience matters.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

They made me go look up the stats over the last two years.

In 3+ games Flacco is:
    8 TDs to 2 INTs, 1073 yards

In 12+ games Zach is:
    9 TDs to 11 INTs, 2334 yards

Until Zach shows otherwise it hasn't even been close.

+ means partial game.

Ralebird and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

What were Zach's post-injury return stats last year? That is more of a representation of who he was. Flacco did play pretty well against Miami and Cleveland. No doubt about it.

bicketybam and Borat like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

7 games
    5 TDs to 2 INTs for 1166 yards

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

With all due respect people are all over the map with this whole QB debate. People need to take a deep breath and start using their heads instead of emotions. I will not take sides on the Flacco versus Wilson debate nor will I shit on one versus the other to make myself right.
    Actually I never got to finish my original post and response, I deleted it last night instead, but it posted anyhow without any conclusion. Not sure how it happened, so sorry to all about that.
    My conclusion was simply this "Stats at this stage tell very little of the story", but you know that.
    Total wins/losses over that span were disastrous for both. Zach has yet to show what he can do with this better offense after his rookie year. Hope he gets the chance soon. Without him we have no future. For the present I just want for the Jets to set a winning culture that is contagious to the whole team. We need to transition Zach only when the OC thinks he has the best chance to be successful from the get go. First couple of games will be critical for Zach. Send him before he is be mentally and physically 100% and we will be fucked.

9. The Dark Knight

Yeah, see that looks better. And he can continue to build on that with his new weapons and grasping the offense more this season.

ColoradoContrails, Borat and ouchy like this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It remembers what you type even if you don't post it.

The only way to stop that is to delete it and then put a full stop, it will remember the full stop instead of your original post and could save you making a fool of yourself if you had called somebody out but changed your mind and didn't post it lol

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

As soon as Zach is healthy, he should start, regardless of what our record is at that time. This season IMO is all about finding out what Zach is and I fully agree with you that the only way we get that answer is to play him ASAP.

Either he works out or he doesn't but either way I'd prefer to not get into another Sam Darnold situation where we're going into Year 4 with a guy and we still don't know if he's any good.

As we've seen with Flacco, this offense can be effective if you've got a guy that is capable of consistently distributing the ball to the playmakers we have now.

Can Zach do that? I THINK so but I need to KNOW that and the sooner we find out the answer to that question, the better off this organization will be.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Many thanks. Forgive my ignorance but when you say put a full stop how exactly do you do that.

K'OB likes this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

a period (we call them full stops) .

LAJet likes this.
  14. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I knew Darnold was no good from before he was drafted. Anybody who actually watched him in college and ignored the hype could have figured that one out.

As for Zach, I am a believer in his talent. I am a doubter about his ability to stay on the field. Doesn't matter how good you are, if you cant avoid injury..........forget about it.

My position on Zach, let him truly heal to 100%, but if he gets hurt again and has to miss multiple games, I would be on board with moving on from him if there is somebody we really like when our turn comes up in the draft. I dont think I would be in favor of paying a high price to move up. If the "move on" situation isnt right, I could live with giving Zach a third year FINAL shot.

ColoradoContrails and azhar80 like this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is a good point as well. IMO availability goes into answering the question about what Zach is.

Like you said, if Zach takes a huge step forward and actually becomes an average QB in this league but has to miss 4-6 games every season, that's not a great scenario for us to be in either. At the very least, JD will have to be very active in the QB market and get a guy he feels comfortable with playing a decent portion of every season.

ColoradoContrails and Jeff M like this.
  16. bicketybam

I call them "that time when you don't want to go down."

MoWilkBeast and K'OB like this.
  17. bicketybam

It definitely looks better. What keeps his overall passer rating down is his subpar completion percentage. But he definitely played better after returning from the injury and I'm excited to see what he looks like after a full off-season of study and TC.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True. Conversely, there were a shit load of fans and experts during the draft that categorically knew Josh Allen was never going to cut it because he was inaccurate in his throws. So there is that.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is absolutely true, however Josh Allen is like the one guy that had major issues as a high draft pick that actually worked out.

For every one of him there are several dozen Blake Bortles, Joey Harrington, Ryan Leaf types who could not overcome their physical/mental issues to become quality QB's worthy of the draft pick.

The biggest thing that made Josh Allen was that he realized that what he was doing was not enough to succeed and he made conscious choices that most professional athletes would not have considered. That's why he went from a great physical specimen to a great QB. Also he was a great physical specimen.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True, very true
    And he also had a tutor that pointed that out and help him correct it. That is part of the equation for success. Having someone on top that knows talent, understand short coming and how to correct them. Seems Buffalo had that formula.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.