Studs and Duds week 2 vs Cle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea, this is true, but let’s not undersell it. It was probably statistically one of the better games played by a Jets QB in the last decade.

2. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

From what I have heard he is a good catching TE, but yeah he's been horrible so far. They should ramp up Ruckert on snaps because at least Ruckert will be able to get some real experience and start learning.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  3. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I was at that game in Cleveland and was screaming that he was pushed...

azhar80 and Footballgod214 like this.
  4. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Studs: the O line. When Flacco has time, he can still sling it, and he had time all game long.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Probably the whole defense was a dud. We thought DeShaun Watson being out would help but Brissett barely through an incomplete pass. No big plays, but too many long methodical drives, getting beat on the ground and through the air. The lack of pass rush was awful. With all these pass-rushing DLs, it's deeply concerning that were not able to get anything.

Offense was solid overall. Big game for Flacco, solid work from Hall and Carter, GARRETT WILSON (minus one brutal drop), much improved OL play. They have a great group of receivers and backs. Moore was a bit quiet but I also think GW getting on the map will help him.

And holy special teams. They did it all. Successful fake punts, successful onside kicks, solid returns, solid punting, big time kicking. A special teams performance for the ages. A+++++

Games like this don't come along often, if ever. Let's enjoy!

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe someone else will answer this better, but in our case the neutral zone infraction triggered our oline to jump. Once the oline jumps, the whistle blows. Turns out they blamed our false starts on the defender jumping into the NZ. I think if no one jumped, they'd have let the play continue. I think.

azhar80, KingRoach and bicketybam like this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i agree with your point on pass rush…at least so far through two games, I’m seeing kind of what I expected to see…we have a bunch of “pretty good” pass rushers but not a single great or elite pass rusher….so we get “kinda close” and “almost there” and I’m sure we’ll hear about how pressures are just as good as sacks….we have needed a true pass rusher since we traded away John Abraham.

this defense would be so much better if we had a Von Miller or a Khalil Mack type dude…both of whom moved teams this year. If we want to have a dominant defense, we need a dude like that.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

That is exactly what happened.

Footballgod214 and KingRoach like this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We’ll see about our pass rush in the coming weeks. Can’t really get a great read on it the first two weeks playing predominantly rushing teams with solid OLines. I’ll definitely be concerned if we can’t generate a pass rush vs Bengals especially but Steelers too.

If our OL plays as well as they did yesterday throughout the year the O is going to be tough to stop with all the playmakers.

I do think we need to start featuring Hall more with Carter as the change of pace guy. Hall has too much breakaway potential to only be getting 7 carries.

azhar80 likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Studs:
    -Joe Flacco and Braden Mann. Many fans wanted Flacco benched and Mann straight up released after Week 1. They both stepped up big yesterday.
    -Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall have potential to be stars. Great to see.
    -Max Mitchell continues to hold his own. I don't see why he can't be the Jets future Right Tackle. He should keep getting better too.

Duds:
    -Most of the defense. Jeff Ulbrich is the #1 issue. Seemed like a bad defensive coordinator last year and continues to this year. The Browns offense was one step ahead almost the entire game. Unacceptable.
    -Tyler Conklin. Another drop, another fumble. I had high hopes for him, and still do, but he needs to limit those errors.

Crazy game. I am still in shock. Happy for the Jets win!

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Not sure that is entirely fair on the D in this instance. Virtually everyone pre-game here and in the media was saying the Jets had to shut down the run and make Brissett beat them. That's exactly what they did and they controlled the run quite effectively for 2/3 off the game. Unfortunately Brissett was up to the task and moved the ball well. The Jets then adjusted and were fairly effective stopping the passing game, but Chubb in particular took advantage. At least that what it seeemed to me at the time. They could have played better for sure but I can't massively fault Ulbrich this time. Chubb's a beast.

azhar80 and KingRoach like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Studs

Flacco, far and away was a stud. 300 yards, 4 TDs, all whlle having some drops and bad calls go against him.
    Garrett WIlson - Had a good game. 8 catches and the game winner made up for the drop that originally felt like the dagger. He's playing very confident.
    Laken Tomilson - Really recovered well from last week. He often looked like a brick wall out there.
    Mann and Zurlin - mostly for just doing the harder parts of their job well.
    Qwon Alexander - this guy is outplaying Mosley right now.
    DJ Reed - also played a great game in both pass d and run d. Hits hard for a corner.
    MLF - called a pretty good game.

Duds

IMO nobody was really a standout dud. A few played below average.
    Conklin dropped a few, and missed some blocks, but also had 6 catches. Some of his drops helped us save time on the last drive.
    Fant struggled early but tightened it down later.
    Mitchell gave up a few bad rushes, including a terrible strip sack, but also played solid in the 4th quarter, and had a FR.
    Quincy Williams get a little carried away with dumb penalties sometimes.
    The refs basically stunk.

It was interesting that when Clowney went down early in the 3rd quarter their pass rush basically looked average form then on.

All three of our first rounders got dinged up, but all returned to the game. (I think JJ returned? It was just cramps - no?)

When they called holding on Fant I thought Saleh was going to melt down. If we would have lost it would have been an ugly presser.

Overall exciting win and I'm excited about next week.

azhar80 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It seemed to me like Ulbrich was outcoached by the Browns OC the entire game. The Jets D always seemed a step behind. Agreed, have to give Brissett credit, but in a studs and duds thread, the D were mostly duds to me. I know it is not easy stopping Chubb or Hunt. On the other side, LaFleur seemed a step ahead of their DC too. Guess it was just one of those games.

Jojo likes this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Can’t say enough about how truly fucking awful the refs were…VERY one sided, like the fix was in

just bad holding calls on ticky tack stuff that they did NOT call on the Browns for doing the same thing…a few times our DL had an OL arm across their neck but no holding calls against the Browns

the two illegal downfield calls were also BS

and that early out of bounds call on Conklin (?) that even the announcer (Mike Parrerra?) said he didn’t understand how it was upheld in replay…his foot was right up to the line but not on it and they still called it out

just a disgusting game by the refs

azhar80 likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hindsight is great... isn't it?

Nobody was thinking that Chubb blew it when he scored there.
    You take the touchdown and go up two touchdowns... especially since the Jets had no timeouts.

The Browns still would have had to run plays... where anything could happen and your cushion is only one score.

azhar80 likes this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Special mention to the special teams player that rushed the Browns kicker on their failed extra point.

I couldn't see his number... but it looked like he got enough pressure to cause the kicker to tweak his kick just enough to miss.

azhar80 likes this.
  17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

As bad as that looked, and it "looked" terrible as far as the result as far as that awful strip sack I'm not really sure how much you kill Max Mitchell on that. Maybe I'm just turning into a Max Mitchell fan/apologist but he kind of got his guy out and around despite being in a bad situation. When I watched the replay it looked more like bad fortune where Clowney and Flacco ended up. Clowney got within range of his 15 foot wing span, I mean what are you going to do? Its not like Mitchell got totally demolished.

When your up against guys like Garret and Clowney lets face it. Your going to have a few sub optimal reps. They are just that good.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Flacko should have stepped up in the pocket... there were a few times he didn't when he should have.

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Considering the game he had, how about you spell his name right just for this week? Deal?

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Clowney getting hurt in the 2nd half was so huge. The game might've been different at the end if he wasn't injured

Pepsiguy5 and azhar80 like this.