Morning After

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

I mean... the same thing happened last year when Becton went down. The o-line didn't look so hot the first few games, but then became one of the better ones in the league after playing together for a while. I'm not really sure why bad O-line play early in the season (when they were shuffling players and positions all summer up until 3 days before the game) can be completely blamed only on bad players or bad coaching. Of course these things take time.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Same as before the game. Who cares until Zach plays. Flacco blows and makes this team unwatchable.

I am starting to sour on Saleh though.

NYJetsO12 and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

One concern about the Saleh hire is that people were saying were tired of first time HCs. Groh, Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles, and now Saleh. The only experienced guy we've hired in 22 years was Adam Gase. It like were a bad grade school art project.

ColoradoContrails and cmcm750203 like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The 49ers were a top defense under Saleh for one single year. His first year on the job they finished 25th in scoring defense. His next year they finished 28th. They were top 10 the following year, after they drafted Bosa, before dropping to 17th the next year when Bosa missed the entire year due to injury.

People are incorrectly attributing Bosa's impact to Saleh. Their defense was bad under Saleh until they got Bosa, and it was mediocre the year Bosa missed to injury.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There’s not many corners manning up mark Andrews the way sauce did.
    This is a bad take, playing the ravens requires a lot of zone so you keep your whole defense facing their biggest threat, Lamar . You play alot of nickel with everyone turning and running with their man and lame will set records.

6. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Experienced head coaches don't necessarily have success their second time out either though. Sometimes even formerly successful coaches completely flop; look at guys like Mike Ditka and George Seifert back in the 90s. Wade Phillips had multiple stints at head coach and with talented teams, and he never improved beyond average. And, if you look at most of the successful head coaches throughout the years, most were successful with their first team: Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Walsh, Parcells, Holmgren, Shanahan, Cowher. McVey's with his first team, as is Kyle Shanahan. You have guys like Belichick and Caroll who got it done on their second and third tries, respectively, but it seems like when it comes to coaching, generally a guy has either got it or he doesn't.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Average would be an improvement..

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There is such a thing as zone man.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And who on the ravens outside of Andrews deserves that type of respect?
    Outside of this argument, it was sauce’s first game, they are not going to go revis’09 and just hand him an assignment every week. Let him show he can work in the scheme first then add the extra. It was good first day for the rookie. Nothing wrong with the way they used him.

bicketybam, Acad23 and ouchy like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

51 years here. Trust me there's no time limit on bad management.

I'd love to be able to time travel back to 1975 and have an earnest conversation with 14 year-old me. That'd be enough to ensure that I wasn't on this death march to mediocrity.

Jojo, NYJetsO12 and Brook! like this.
  11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS!!! OOPS capslock

12. Losmeister

do we have any run block rates? (lazyass)

13. Losmeister

mods???

why are BOTH week one threads locked?

Am confused... I though the one was a pre and a post (locked DURING the game)
    and the other was a GAMEDAY thread for posting while the game is in progress,
    So now we have three each week, one pre, one during then a morning after week 1 thru 17?

14. Losmeister

well, i woulda lost my own invented prop bet, whcih was that Ravens would score 24 by half.

As for Saleh...my take is Look at how well the D played 85% of the game.

First we had NcClown, now we have Flacco.... why not just let Woody play QB?

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I 100% expected us be dog shit yesterday and this year.
    We had a nice draft and there is some good young talent in the pipeline, but
    Unless you have a stud QB who can win games alone on their play, you better have
    A solid Oline to run the ball, control the line of scrimmage and give your mediocre tons
    Of time to find open targets you are just not going to be successful offensively.

Those 2 glaring weaknesses will doom this team to be uncompetitive most weeks.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

personally I wanted Daboll and I said so then. My reasoning was to go get an offensive coach and especially one who had shown he could develop a raw QB in Josh Allen. I don’t really know much about him or his style of leadership but the background is what I based it on.

we will get to see first hand if he turns out to be a good coach since he’s right in our backyard…

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You are saying you need good players to have a top defense? Shocking.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm saying the 49ers didn't have a good defense overall during Saleh's time there, and the one year they did was coincidentally the year they got Bosa. Hence, their success seems to be more Bosa's doing than Saleh's.

I just find it weird that people parrot this "Saleh was a great DC/hire!" thing without actually looking into it. Is this going to turn into Becton again where people act like there was no way to see this coming when lots of people did in fact see it coming years in advance?

Ralebird likes this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

lets see ... Tick, Tick, Tick... our HC is feeling the heat...LOL. Your platitudes and challenges are laughable because so far your a losing HC 4-14 soon to be 4-15 and quite possibility 4-15. I give kudos to our DC who at least had a good GP...

Funny, this arrongrant P**** calls us out but refuses to face the fact that his team's play is a reflection on his ability to coach. BTW- I have 50+ years of reciepts for you you pompous twit.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes Sojaz you Brad and myself along with a few others on here are in the 50 year club!!

That in itself deserves some respect from everyone in the Jet world and especially on this Board ..smh

Oh well here we go Season # 51 or 52 (I lost count)with no championship on the Horizon