Who thought Zuerlein was a good idea?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GQMartin, Sep 11, 2022.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The writing was on the wall with this guy.

I hated the signing and hated that he won the job.

Statistics were showing he was regressing. Last year he was horrible with extra points. Also, he mostly kicked indoors throughout his career, and we think he will be able to kick at MetLife?

JetsFan and Royal Tee like this.
  2. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

This is another head scratcher. The roster decision by this staff need improvement.

GQMartin likes this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Same guy who thought our O-line didn't need to be further addressed.

4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

JD drafted a lineman and signed 2 pro bowl lineman this off season. He can't predict the future, fuck him right?

K'OB likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He was a better idea than what we thought were good ideas since 2017.

6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Why hasn't he been cut yet?

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I was a Pineiro guy because he made all his kicks last year when he joined us

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold couldn't be more wrong. He is the first guy in 10 years that actually recognized the need for it and did something about it. His two predecessors left an absolute dumpster fire Now we blame him because the top guys got hurt. Same all shit.
    Love people coming out of the woodwork now with the kicker. He brought in competition and he won. What should he have done different? Oh wait we should have paid the guy four years ago, shoulda coulda. May be they can provide names of better kickers available this year for us instead of the proverbial hindsight at the first miss

PJ4Ever likes this.
  9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I posted this in the "Jets sign K Greg Zurlein" thread in March:

This kind of competition at K never seems to work for us--Pinero did enough in real game opps and unless he looks like shit coming into this season he earned the job.

#16IDFjet, Mar 26, 2022
    Edit Report

PJ4Ever, Ralebird and Borat like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jason Myers had a kicking streak going of 37-straight at one point with Seattle. 4th longest in NFL history.

Fuck you, Macc.

#10 abyzmul, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    Jets79, PJ4Ever, Royal Tee and 2 others like this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I wasn’t really a fan of EP, he had this low line drive thing going. I always felt he’d get a few blocked. But he didn’t have a great camp honestly. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt for now. EP kicked in great weather yesterday. Greg had to deal with a slick rainy ball. But maybe the Jets made yet again, the wrong decision on kickers….

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The problem is that Greg is getting old, turning 35 this year. He is a declining player. He used to be automatic on extra point. For the last two years, he was at 91.7 and last year 87.5. FG were 82.9 both of last years. This is not too bad, but again, declining from before. Pineiro is turning 27, and could have been the kicker here for a long time. He did very well last year, improving from a good season in Chicago. Total for the two season he played he was at 86.1 FG and 92.3 extra point. These numbers, considering he hit 8 of 8 for the Jets last year and 9 for 10 xPG, should be enough to just keep him. I thought for sure we keep him.

It's OK to face some competition too, but did Greg "win" the competition, as Saleh said? Greg hit every kick in preseason, and so did Eddy. Greg did get more attempts, but Eddie scored every point he got too. In camp the reports where they were neck in neck. If so, why not keep incumbent younger guy who is ascending instead of descending older player? Even if in training camp they were close and maybe even Greg hit a couple of more balls in non game situations, they are trending in opposite directions. This way you solve kicking problem for a while, not just for one year. You also know Pineiro did produce more in last two years than Greg did in actual games. And Eddy produced for the Jets!

I am hoping this was one bad game, but it could be that Greg is deteriorating due to age, much like Duane Brown, who didn't miss a game for two years, and ended up on IR after a week of practice.

#12 Borat, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    IDFjet likes this.
  13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I've been a Greg the Leg fan for many years but since he hurt his back with the Rams about 3 years ago, he hasn't been the same.

We are on the same page regarding Pinero-- he was fine so just roll with him.

Plus we got burned cutting Myers and we finally found a K who was decent and then we cut him--its just bad business.

Borat likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Where did you get the info Eddy had a bad camp? By all accounts both of them had really good camps. The difference to me was the Greg was old and Pineiro was young and had better numbers last two years. If camp is close, last two years of actual production should count for more, particularly when one of the guys kicked the lights out for us and is much younger, while the other declined even from the previous year and missed key kicks causing his previous team to waive him because of poor performance in actual games.

Who cares if in the camp Greg may have done slightly better? It was very close and real games over last two years should count more as well as age and the trajectory of both players. I don't see how Greg can do better at this stage of his career than he did for Dallas last year. And that performance caused him to be waived! Eddy on the other hand kicked ass last year and is ascending. This was a no brainer honestly.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought originally when he first kicked for us. Line drives, but he made the kicks. Then I found out from fans who went to the game that it was quite windy that day. Then I thought, wow, a kicker who can adjust to bad weather.

16. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Zeurlein helped Saleh win one of his fantasy leagues last year.

17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Who makes the call here? Coach or GM? Also, I gotta imagine ST Coach has an opinion......

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's so frustrating. We went through a kicking carrousel since imbecile Mac didn't retain Myers. JD kept having kicking competitions, and we got guys like Ammendola, McLaughlin, Castillo, Ficken, Vedvik, Kessman. I may be forgetting someone. What's common among these guys: none of them actually did well in real games recently before Jets picked them up. They were failures, but Jets were desperate, found them, they kicked OK during competition, got the job, and then continue sucking in real games like before. Pineiro was different in a sense where he actually had a good year for the Bears, and the only reason why he was available is because he was injured in 2020. And the guy actually kicks well in real games for the Jets.

So what do the Jets do now that they finally found the guy. Bring in old vet past his prime, who was just waived because he declined and missed critical kicks in real games to compete with the guy who finally stabilized kicking position in real games. They go neck in neck, and Greg does slightly better on practice kicks. So, Jets completely ignore the fact Pineiro has a superior record in recent year in real games, the fact he is 26 and was ascending coming off a great year, while Greg is 34 and descending, coming of declining year, forget that Pineiro stopped multi year multi kicker carrousel, and waive him in favor of old Greg. Great move! This is not exactly Mac level stupid not resigning Pro Bowl kicker, but pretty fucking dumb nevertheless.

Jets79 and IDFjet like this.
  19. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

What's Pat Leahy up to?

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

In general, I don't think the strategy of finding cheap kickers, having them compete, and picking the best guy is a bad one. That's basically how we got Nick Folk, who was great here. We got a great year from Jason Myers off the scrap heap. I would rather do that than draft a kicker and have to live through their growing pains (cough: Braden Mann).