Please help cure my offensive line paranoia...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 30, 2022.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

With a unit like the offensive line, one really bad player can unhinge the whole thing, in the same way that four solid sand bags won't be able to stop a flood if the fifth is just a piece of tissue paper. Improving just that one spot can create a functioning wall/offensive line, so just because a line looks bad doesn't mean you have to look to replace all or even most of them.

REVISion likes this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

To me it really comes down to Becton

if he stays on the field, then I think our OL will be at least average if not slightly better…Fant did well at LT, our two guards will be solid, and our center as well.

the problem for me is that I have little faith in Becton being able to stay on the field, and having lost Moses, we are looking at McDermott, Edoga, or a 4th round kid at one of the tackle spots…that’s what worries me

I’m actually more concerned about the tackle than the guard spots…

so I’m hoping we pick up some OT insurance this summer

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's a big IF though. Don't forget, we had Becton AND Moses last year. Becton got hurt and can get hurt again. Missed a few games in full or in part two years ago too. Got hurt twice in training camp last year. And you know how long it takes for "big human" to recover. Fant got hurt too end of year. He didn't miss many games because it was year end, but the injury was pretty serious and would keep him out for longer had it been earlier in the season. Fant also was injured before. I feel like Tackle is a huge question mark still, and may be worse now with Moses out.

We do have Max as a sub to replace Moses, but I am worried about that position still. Guard sport is solid if we resign LDT. Work on OL is not done yet. Adding Tomlinson and 4th round pick Max, while losing Moses and LDT (if he goes elsewhere) to me is still not enough.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I think it was in the post-draft presser that Joe mentioned they are looking over other teams' rosters to try to find solid players that the other team may want to trade away for cap reasons, and Joe mentioned the Moses situation last year as an example. This is one of the advantages of not overspending so far. Assuming we make a few appropriate cuts, we have plenty of space to hire another solid OT depth player.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I actually think it's in good shape. I think Fant is a very solid starter at LT with upside. Mekhi is a question mark but if he's on the field, he was very good his rookie season (and the preseason snaps he played). Connor McGovern is a very solid center. Laken Tomlinson is a Pro Bowler and AVT is already a solid guard and plenty of reason to think he'll continue to get better.

I don't even think depth is bad. Max Mitchell should be able to backup either OT spot (and maybe interior also) and comes with plenty of starting experience in college playing at a high level and projectable to this scheme. Conor McDermot apparently held up okay as a backup and Edoga, who might be on the way out, at least is veteran depth. On the inside, Dan Feeney can play multiple spots and fared well in spot starting duty. GVR was not good and still may be cut, but if nobody better is available, he's at least experienced depth. And they'll have a chance to add more depth if needed as the offseason progresses and they see how players are looking in camp and preseason

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

I think Brees Hall could be the game changer. First down production has been a killer for us over the last few years. I've seen enough second and ten and third and eight situations. Hopefully we will see more second and five and third and two downs which will give us more offensive flexibility. He has shown he can handle 20-25 carries a game.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Max played in SunBelt, not much experience against P5. McDermot and Edoga are not confidence inspiring. If they have to play, we are screwed. Max is a decent prospect, but we need someone else at tackle and resign LDT. Right now I agree with the thread author, we are one likely injury away from being in bad shape at Oline.

ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  8. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Think about what our run game could look like. Suppose we get Becton healthy. While he struggled to contain Lawson of the Edge during fall camp, Becton was a beast in run blocking as a rookie. And we have a pro bowler at left guard. And we brought in a couple very good tight ends in FA, and Ruckert -- while a little raw in the passing game -- is supposed to be an exceptional blocker. Running Hall and Carter on the left side could be pretty exciting.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

injuries played a big factor to WR, RB, and O-line and QB. all of that had a huge affect. as long as we stay relatively healthy the o-line should be a top 10 unit in the NFL

10. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Paranoia is sadly now reality…

11. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Run blocking wasn’t bad, and I wonder how much of this was on Flacco not being able to move. That said, lousy day for the O-Line. Any idea who in-particular was at fault on it?

12. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Fant got dominated multiple times, and had a holding penalty. Flacco held onto the ball forever. The interior broke a few times but I didn't see who was at fault.

13. HackettSuxTNG

No question Flacco's immobility was an issue. I fear that Wilson's inexperience will cause similar problems for this offensive line. While Flacco lacks the quickness to get rid of the ball fast enough, does Wilson have the field generalship to do the same?

This team needed an offensive line to maximize the amount of time possible for an inexperienced quarterback. Today clearly demonstrated that they still cannot get the job done.

14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

According to Cimini Mitchell’s performance yesterday ranked 26th out of 61 with a 92% success rate and ranked about 8% higher than Fant…..

Still early of course but that is a pleasant stat considering it was the Ravens…good for the rookie.

LAJet likes this.
  15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Seems like Tomlinson was the worst OLineman yesterday which is very disappointing.

Could understand Fant with his juggling act going from sside to side but Tomlinson has to step up his game big time, he was a pro bowler and arguably our best offseason addition.

Borat likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That was pass block win rate. It does not account for overall pass pro performance and certainly not for overall performance. Overall according to PFF he was 58th out of 60. This may be a bit harsh, but still, overall, this was not a good day for Max, even though as you said, he had some moments.

That one is really surprising. I can understand why Max sucked since he is a 4th round rookie playing his previous game in Sunbelt. There is some possible upside there. I can even understand why Fant sucked, given he was not practicing LT until last week. Though the problem could be deeper than that, but at least there is a plausible explanation. I don't understand why Laken stunk like absolute shit. I mean he didn't have to change position, he is still LG, he played in the MiLF system before coming from 49ers. Practiced all this time, wasn't injured. And was beat like a drum individually. This could be very very bad, given he has a 3 year deal. Very surprising. Hopefully this was one off, but could be that he dropped off a cliff after 30...

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Fant basically had to flip from left to right to left tackle within a short period of time. Hoping he plays better with a full week of practice at left. Curious what happens when Brown is healthy.

Tomlinson needs to be better. He's only 30, so he should have enough in the tank.

mrjet80, KY Jets Fan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thanks for a good Post

All the replies are just a bunch of BS excuses for a 4 year GM who promised Sam Darnolds family we would have a solid OL...was that a boldfaced Lie? Poor performance of the players he signed ? or both? My faith n the GM has gone from the 12th floor when he started down to the 5th TBH

I really liked JDs last Draft (everyone in sporting news gave him an A) but you are so right to point out he failed in this area

And the evidence? Just look at what happened at the home opener ..ugh

As I posted before I see 16 losses until PROVEN otherwise

19. HackettSuxTNG

It's REALLY hard to call this "paranoia" anymore.