Morning After

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Corey Davis continues to drop passes which is an ass biting sting, I can't personally tolerate much more of...put Mims in, let him have at it REGULARLY, to see him get better, because he will if he plays.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's actually quite sad, but I felt nothing after the loss. I don't know if it is maturing with age or just becoming numb to all of the failure and losing.

It is sad because I used to care and believe in the team so much. I would get hyped up expecting a win, so a loss was crushing. Now, I have no expectations (even less without Zach).

3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Speaking of "Same Ol' (insert expletive(s) here)", what the hell was with all the fullback draws out of the shotgun? Christ, for a second, I thought my namesake was back in charge of the offense?!?!?

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s just called reality, I’ve gotten the same way as I’ve aged and matured. We know they aren’t there yet but when they are that excitement and inevitable disappointment will come back.

The Dark Knight and Jojo like this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It was just one game so I can't jump to too many conclusions. Lets see next week. That said there were glaring, even confusing, problems.

On offense our gameplan was performed but not executed. It relies on getting the ball out quick to someone in space and allowing them to make plays. We did what we needed to do with the quick passing. But nobody ever got separation, which was puzzling. Wilson and Carter had a few good jukes, and that was it. Do we really not have the talent to execute a quick passing game? Some of it is on Flacco but just as much was on the WRs, OL, and maybe MLF.

Also, we spent the 10th pick on a WR, which means we expect him to be a center piece. Why did he get so little action compared to Berrios and Davis? He was made for the quick passing game.

Also, Cater looked like a much better runner than Hall. When will Hall look like the top RB we were promised?

The o-line stunk. From what I saw Mitchell was a big part of the problem because he was always given help from a guard or TE. This put pressure on McGovern, AVT, and Fant, and they didn't hold up. The middle of the line was a problem as pressure up the middle was way to frequent. There was no pocket to step up into. Honestly is felt like the opening game at Carolina last year. Our offense is never going to be effective if they don't improve.

On defense why did we spend the 4th pick overall on a DB just to use him in zone schemes? You don't use the 4th overall pick on a shut down corner if this is the plan. This was the second instance in this game where our draft didn't reflect our gameplan. WTF?

Our DL did its job. They stayed in their lanes and shut down the run. Against teams with less mobile QBs they should get more pressure. But most teams we face will have better RB and WRs than Baltimore so its still a question of how they will perform.

Hopefully we make the right changes against Cleveland, who barely survived Carolina and should be beatable. Start White, call up Streveler. I'm in the camp that agrees we dont need to see more of Flacco. If were going to lose, lets lose looking at younger prospects.

#45 ouchy, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  6. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

People are clinging to "well it WAS the Ravens" they didn't strike me as a playoff team tbh but time will tell. Now if they finish 3rd or 4th in their divison we will look back and say boy we really really really were bad then

ouchy and Jojo like this.
  7. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I am tired of these results and if I could I would get better ownership in the building asap...but you can't point at the Ravens record last year as an indicator that we could beat them. The Ravens had a typical 'jets' year last season, losing a lot of the key pieces on their defense and losing their QB. Their 2021 is pretty much our last 10 years injury-wise but at least they had QB play early on in the season to start off hot. The Ravens are back on all cylinders right now, the only question mark in my mind was if Flacco had enough veteran savvy in him to keep things interesting. We certainly found out yesterday but we should have known, Flacco isn't some hidden gem. . .the NFL knows what he is and we should have known better.

There is no point sugar-coating it, this franchise the last decade has been a tire fire and the most laughable team in the NFL. However, unlike most years I have high hopes that these early draft picks can produce. A lot of young guys looked like they belonged...not including our punter.

As a fan of this team, to reduce my greying hair from falling out I have no choice other than a)not buying any tickets or merch to support/condone this team until they prove they left the 'trash heap' phase of rebuilding and b) view things through a long terms lens, which although I am tired of doing until we get a quarterback that can elevate the team sustainable success is a pipe dream.

The assignment this year is the same now as it was coming into the season, seeing if we have a franchise QB on this team. I was encouraged by some of his games late last year but it needs to be on the next level this season. Doing so means he will be around average, and our team has enough to compete with average QB play IMO. The supporting pieces are there, 2nd year in the system...to me if he doesn't show more this year we need to cut the cord.

Been a fan for 20+ years, how much longer is this curse going to last?

KY Jets Fan and Jets79 like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It's one game and the defense gave us a whole lot to look forward to. They were playing lights out up until they were gassed from being on the field every 5 mins. The biggest problem is safety... Joyner is terrible. He was terrible in preseason and terrible yesterday. Parks should be called up (should have never been cut) or Tony Adams needs to see more snaps. Reed and Sauce were top tier. Not gonna call them Revis and Cro by any means but WRs had absolutely nowhere to go when they were in the Reed/Sauce zones. DL was fantastic as well.

Offensively, same shit different diaper but this at least feels like a different brand of diaper. We have some serious playmakers. But why the fuck was one of the best ones barely on the field in the first half? Garrett Wilson needs meaningful snaps. Why would you not turn your 10th overall pick loose when he's got the ability to do so? Just a baffling decision by the offensive coaching staff.

Flacco is fucking horrendous, he should have been out of football three years ago. He can't evade any pressure at all which leads to a sack or a bad throw or a checkdown that probably wasn't even caught. At least Wilson can roll out and let the great playmakers we have do their thing. With Flacco, you're hoping every route is complete within 3 seconds and that the WR is open or else the play is over. He can't start next week and if he does then the coaching staff is either stupid or stubborn.

Edit: also the guy who thought Flacco was a competent backup QB should catch a lot of shit for this situation we're in. Absolutely within anyone's rights to criticize the front office for bungling things.

#48 BroadwayAaron, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    SOJAZ, Jets79, KY Jets Fan and 8 others like this.
  9. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

SOMEBODY has to win that division! They all looked terrible yesterday.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I felt like that is what I was indicating in the post you quoted.

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

My guess is it was due to it being his first game as a pro.

First NFL game and he had 6 carries. We threw the ball 50 times. I think you need to give him more than one game. [/Quote]

Mitchell actually graded out pretty well.

Again, first game ever and I thought he played well. He had an outstanding pass breakup on what was a sure TD. Overall I thought the secondary played we outside of the blown coverage TD.

MoWilkBeast, FJF and cval like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

IMO the Ravens looked like they came out flat and played flat most of the game. Yet we still never had the lead.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. Jaybranch23

Jaybranch23 Active Member

totally agree with this - Flacco had a bigger impact than what people on here are saying. It was made worse when the jets fell behind. Going to be tough until Wilson returns (and hopefully will make a jump from last year)

King Koopa and bicketybam like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Rookie receivers who didn't go top 10 were making plays all over the league yesterday. First game means nothing in terms of reps. That's Robert Saleh logic.

I'll give him more time. Just wondering cause he looks pretty average skill wise.

How many snaps did he go one on one? Not many from what I saw. There was a continual double team on the right side, while everywhere else was breaking down.

Sauce played fine. But did we use the 4th overall pick on a zone corner?

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was there and it looked like the Jets defense played very well for the most part which made the Raven look like they played flat. But we see what we want to see I guess.

MoWilkBeast, cval, Noam and 2 others like this.
  16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Good post. Well, I'm a guy that's already lost his hair, so I can watch this team with impunity.

Here's the bottom line. Teams that play the Jets are going to do (and have been doing) the same thing on defense. They play to stop the run and clog up the middle passing lanes. They put the Jets in passing situations (3rd and long) and then bring the house. In essence they are saying "if you're going to beat us, you'll have to do it by throwing deeper than 10 yards, because we don't think you can." Until we get a QB that can make teams pay the price for overplaying the run on early downs, nothing much will change.

ColoradoContrails, SOJAZ and Noam like this.
  17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Strange to be a Jets fan these days.

I yell at the TV on bad plays, calls, etc.

I cheer at the good ones.

I always expect them to lose so they can’t disappoint me anymore.

18. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

All we can do is see how they rebound. I can threaten to be done all I want, but after all these decades it hasn’t worked yet.

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Flacco is Flacco. He needs a good pocket to do his job. Give him that and he is fine. White can move much better but is an inferior passer. Therin the dilemma till wilson back. There is no good option. So with these guys, the jets face teams with better qbs. Still, the jets could have won the game if no mistakes. They were not outclassed. Just outplayed

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. Hectorfor3

Hectorfor3 Active Member

It's funny, I'm also in the "expect to lose but cheer the good stuff" zone. After so many decades I have zero expectation that something good is gonna happen cause the Jets regularly mess up the small and big stuff. Minor case in point, does any other team make a critical first down and then fumble backwards (Conklin) for negative yards to screw it up? I'm sure they do and we've done way way worse but for some reason that play exemplified the Jets for me yesterday. Then later we force a fumble, a Jet is right there and the Ravens somehow get it back. You'd think that laws of average we'd even out but after watching for so many years we are on the short end of those types of plays probably 75% of the time (or at least it feels that way!).

So to summarize, the morning after feels like it most often does.....shitty, knowing that it's most likely a preview for next Monday lol