The Official Cutdown Day Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2022.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Always the first guy to do exactly what you don't want to see

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Eh kinda misleading. He was tied for INTS (2) and FF (2). So sure he “led” the team but the team also forced the second lowest amount of turnovers in the league.

He’s a terrible safety. He can run really fast to the ball once the ball is back on the ground but while the ball is in the air or before it’s even thrown he’s running around like a chicken with his head cut off. He was playing with third and fourth stringers all camp and preseason. There’s nothing that says he should have made this roster outside of Douglas’s ego and pride.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Everybody matters. Football is a 36 man game (11 offense/11 defense/15 ST's) and with the injury rate it's really like a 45 man game minimum. Having a hole anywhere causes everybody else to have problems.

This is why Belichik doesn't believe in stars. He wants to be able to keep a deep roster full of competent players and he doesn't want the bottom 30 to be hangers-on. He wants them to be pros who do their job, collect their check and just win.

We all laugh at some of his day one and day two draft picks but he knows exactly what he is looking for. Even when he goes on a splurge in free agency he is buying the mid-tier guys who are dependable knowing that he's going to wind up cutting some of them a few years down the road as new options emerge from the draft.

The Jets on the other hand buy high in free agency and take enormous risks in the draft and then we wonder why things keep breaking down like clockwork.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That's a very odd statement for a coach who has risen to god like status on the performance of one guy.

Acad23, themorey, FJF and 2 others like this.
  5. Br4d

Well the reason that worked is that Brady was rarely paid like a star.

However post-Brady the Patriots are 17-16. It remains to be seen if Belichik can pull it all together again before he retires. He did make the playoffs last year with a top 10 offense and a top 5 defense sans Brady.

Hopefully he's gone in a year or two and we have one less roadblock in our way.

wewantsapp likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

So what you’re saying is the Pats need a star?

FJF likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not to mention success Belichick has had by bringing in several disgruntled stars over the years like Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Darrelle Revis, Stephon Gilmore.

westiedog1 and FJF like this.
  8. Br4d

They went 10-7 last year with a rookie QB and good offense and defense. My guess is the Belichik plan is intact. He made yet another bewildering 1st round pick this year.

9. ramjets29

ramjets29 Member

The amount of time people are spending trashing the decision to keep a backup safety on this site is crazy. He's probably #53 on a 53 man roster. Joe D and Saleh admittedly agonized over these decisions. They said publicly they had 6 safeties worthy of a spot on the 53. I may not be a fan of it but if they believe in Davis' upside and the character he brings to the room, not to mention the value he adds to Special Teams, then I'm all for it. Thankfully we have Parks on the PS ready to take his job if he continues to regress. I say let's move on. We had 7 guys on the team claimed thru waivers - not to mention a few more guys who signed w/ other teams prior to the last cut down - the transformation is incredible. Kudos to Joe D.

Ralebird, KingRoach, themorey and 2 others like this.
  10. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Tbh you didn't read my post properly, did you?

I guess the big clue is the

'he may well be shit'

part ;)

So like I said he may be shit but he did show something, said in reply to somebody who said he had shown nothing.

Not in the slightest was it advocating a berth in the 53 :)

KingRoach and Noam like this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is incredible that we have some talent on this team and the cupboard is not so bare that our cast-offs are decent bottom of the roster players for other teams. It has been a long time since this team is not viewed as depleted of talent. With that being said it needs to translate to wins to be incredible.

I keep hearing this season depends on the play of Zach to be successful, which I am not denying, but I think it is more critical to wins that our defense at least moves to the middle of the pack.

Ralebird, Jets79 and Noam like this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree the play of our defense is more important than QB play. If the defense plays well the roster is good enough to be competitive while asking very little of the QB and can withstand poor to average QB play.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

No I read it properly I’m just saying what he’s “shown” isn’t all that much especially when you just watch him with the naked eye.

K'OB likes this.
  15. K'OB

True but 2 INTs out of 5 and 3 FF is still more than nothing and that is all that I meant :)

Borat and KingRoach like this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The argument for Davis is that he was drafted as an extremely athletic raw prospect who was learning how to play safety. He was not supposed to play year one. He got injured did not have an off-season last year or the year before and got pushed into playing both years before he was ready. Not an ideal way to handle a developmental prospect but those are the circumstance's. From JD's eyes he wants to give him a year on the bench to sit and learn. An opportunity he has not gotten. My guess is he being kept for his upside and that they view Adams and Parks as similar propsects to Pinnock. But, I think they got too cute hoping Pinnock cleared waivers. From a realistic point of view we have all seen Davis now for 2 years and I think most of us believe that the odds are greatly against him developing into a useful player. Hopefully the CS and the FO can prove us wrong but it seems like a waste of a roster spot chasing an unrealistic hope. But then again they have more knowledge and are a lot smarter than all of us except of course those that criticize JD in every post. But, I would still bet he will not be on the team next year.

17. K'OB

Again true but again I am not arguing a case for him to be on the roster.

I was simply replying to a poster who said 'he hasn't shown shit'

Very soon I am going to regret replying to him ;):D:D:D:p

KingRoach and Noam like this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I find myself yelling "SHIT" whenever he's on the field if that counts for anything....

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think that applies to most of us.

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Hah, I agree with you. No one is arguing that he should be on the roster. Not you or me. I almost did not add my reply as I did not want to waste time explaining in subsequent posts that I am not a supporter of Davis. We are just saying hey this is the counter argument even if we don't agree with it.

K'OB likes this.