The Official Cutdown Day Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's thinking about Matt Moore, who always had great games against us and looked like a nobody against everybody else.

But yeah Morrall was a gunslinger for the Colts when Unitas got hurt and Shula brought him to Miami with him late in his career.

azhar80 and K'OB like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Somebody else said him as well but it was Matt Moore that I was thinking of, a little bit more recent times.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Remember when Ulrich said he only wanted to use those guys for a third of the snaps each? They may need to find room for one or two more.

#243 Ralebird, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets are rotating more than 2 positions on a 4 man line they are losing value big time. Really if they are rotating more than one. There are only so many 300+ lb guys who are good enough to play in the NFL and if you are preferentially reducing their snaps you are likely to be putting a bad product on the field. Like a bottom 5 defense, which is something the Jets have specialized in lately.

SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Considering the Raiders waived him, he's technically not wrong lol

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Nice discussion of how Hogan created Cager as well as some talk about Pinnock and Adams.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I fully expect us to add some depth at OT, S, and potentially DT (specifically a 1-tech kinda guy) today.

Some names I'm keeping an eye on:

Tyler Johnson, WR (Bucs)- Sort of a surprise cut but them's the breaks when you've got guys like Chris Godwin, Mike Evans, Julio Jones, and Russell Gage. Johnson was able to rack up 360 yards in a very crowded WR room last year. He's a guy with a ton of potential and would allow JD to move Mims while already having his replacement in place.

Lynn Bowden Jr., WR (Dolphins)- A guy I pounded the table for in the pre-draft process 2 years ago and after seeing how LaFleur has used guys like Berrios, I stand by it. Bowden missed all of last year with a hamstring injury but flashed a bit in his rookie year for Miami. He could be a versatile offensive weapon that LaFleur could have a lot of fun with. Also, same deal as above with Johnson, this move would allow JD to move on from Mims.

Tyler Shelvin, DT (Bengals)- 4th round pick by the Bengals in 2021. Didn't play particularly well in his rookie year, hence his horrific 28.6 PFF grade, but he's 6'3" 346lbs and is a pure run stuffer. Could be a decent addition at a position that we sorely lack.

Alex Leatherwood, OT (Raiders)- I had a message in this thread about Leatherwood when he was first cut. I wouldn't claim him on waivers because then you're partially on the hook for some of his rookie deal, which is fully guaranteed, but if he clears waivers and is a FA, I would sign him to a cheap deal. It's obvious the Raiders overdrafted him, he was always a Day 2 guy IMO and I think the expectations for him got skewed accordingly.

Kellen Diesch, OT (Dolphins)- A late round draft pick for the Dolphins this year. Very much a developmental OT prospect but one that projects more favorably to a zone-blocking scheme like the one we run. He needs to add some strength but he could develop into a serviceable swing OT at some point. Might be worth a dart throw.

Alec Lindstrom, IOL (Falcons)- A guy I loved in the pre-draft process as well. He's a perfect scheme fit and would allow us to potentially move on from Feeney, or keep both and have additional IOL depth. I think he's a guy that could develop into a plus starter at C and be the eventual successor to CMG in a year or two.

Marquise Blair, S (Seahawks)- Former 2nd round pick by the Seahawks in 2019. Played well as a rookie but has struggled with some injuries the last couple of years (ACL in 2020 and a separate knee injury that limited him to 6 games last year). Experience at slot CB and S but projects better as a S.

Non-Waiver Wire names:

Jaquiski Tartt, S (Eagles)- With the Eagles making a splash yesterday and trading for Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Tartt was expendable. But we all know the saying about trash and treasures, Tartt could come in and be a key rotational piece at Safety for us. The good thing is because he's a vet, he's not subject to waivers. He and Saleh also have some history together from their time in SF.

Danny Shelton, DT (Chiefs)- Though not what he once was, Shelton could still be a serviceable 1-tech for us this season. With similar measurables to Shelvin above, he could also fill our run-stuffing void at DT.

Daryl Williams, OT/OG (Bills)- Started all 17 games for Buffalo last season and was released by the Bills due to his contract and remains a FA. Williams started at RT last year until Week 4 when Spencer Brown took over that role and they kicked Williams inside to RG. I'm not sure if Williams would want to come here and be a back-up, but clearly his market has not materialized like he thought it would so it could be worth a shot.

#247 KY Jets Fan, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Daryl Williams would be good insurance to have. If Fant can't shake the injury bug, Williams is a true RT or If the older Duane Brown gets injured, you move Fant back to the left side and Williams steps in at RT. He is durable and steady, nothing special but thats really needed here

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Kellen Diesch was he the converted TE?

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm not sure. If so, it was probably earlier in his career (maybe HS?).

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I saw the Dolphins cut Preston Williams too--I think he got injured last year but he was looking real sharp in 2020.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Definitely another solid name to keep an eye on.

IDFjet likes this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Good catch on an important aspect Noam.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I was wondering. We can't expect to have three NFL calibre defensive lines. And at the same time as not even having one NFL calibre offensive line.

ColoradoContrails, Jets79 and Br4d like this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I would love to be able to bring in someone like this.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I remember all you college football GURUS in love with this guy. What happened that he could not even make the roster?

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Phew! Thanks goodness he's out of the conference!

SOJAZ, FJF and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I still love him.

I never thought he would be an immediate contributor though. Could be the staff in ATL didn't love him? I'm not sure but I'd still like to bring him in and let him learn behind MCG for a year or two.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.