Cager

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nyjets4eva, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I honestly don’t see how the converted WR to TE doesn’t make this team? I don’t think he would last on the PS, I would list him as the 4th TE and even 5th best WR right now! I will be disappointed if he doesn’t all I’ve seen is great hands and nice routes so far and he deserves a spot IMO

2. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I liked Cager coming out of Georgia. His challenge is he's not a true tight end (lacks the blocking skills), and not a good enough wr to crack this wr room. That being said, he's known for being a great redzone target who can go up and get the ball. I like him better than Yeboah and hope they find a way to roster him, he'll be valuable as inevitable injuries take their toll.

amuck57 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean they have to carry 4 TE to bring him on. Just not sure how it would work with the other spots. But he’s been making plays all preseason.

4. Nyjets4eva

Wesco looked horrible in big mins not sure what he’s done to keep a spot even in prior years idc if it’s TE hybrid Fb role whatever he plays he’s just not good

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Actually felt bad for Wesco tonight...he knows he on the bubble and played terrible. I think he knows.....

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not a hard choice between Wesco and Cager. Keep the guy that makes plays. Its that simple.

7. Nyjets4eva

yeah you could tell he was pressing, but I don’t think he has ever warranted a spot since being drafted tbh. Now that TE room has been revamped he knows he needs to play well for other teams and his own tape

SOJAZ and Footballgod214 like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Does Cager play special teams?

Yes he should make the team, just wondering

JetFanInPA and Nyjets4eva like this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

With CJ, Conklin and Ruckert all being good blockers there is no room for Wesco. That being said there is little reason to keep Cager on the active roster. he is a developmental player that would fit well on the PS and could be brought up as needed. He is a developmental work in progress player and it would seem unlikely that anyone would sign him.

wewantsapp likes this.
  10. Cman68

Well, I get it that Conklin and Ruckert both make the team. Wesco walks the plank. Cager is a TE/WR and already has shown more than Mims and given the choice between the two, Cager gets Mims' roster spot.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree that Mimms does not make the team but I do not see the point of going with more than 3 TEs or 5 WRs. Cager, Mike White and C. Jackson can sit well on the PS while players like T. Smart, Marshall, Guidry, Dunn or Hardee instead could make the team and likely contribute a lot more.

There are going to be some really painful cuts especially at DL. I would argue they would benefit better by putting players that should go to the PS quite easily in positions like QB3, WR6 and TE4 who will contribute little for better players like an extra DL or DB that will not last on the waiver wire.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

Anyone else think Joe Douglas is on the phone this morning? Probably all morning. Lots of players to get draft picks for.....I'm thinking he gets 2 ones and a 2nd for Mims. Another one for Wesco. Anything less would be a failure (in Joe's eyes!)

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Lots of possible trade candidates Mimms, a number of DL, Guidry, Echols, White, Rankins and more. Probably none get traded but sure he is trying.

Brook! and Footballgod214 like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I will say it no doubt helped any trade efforts that our Jets were the only game playing last night. GMs could watch without distraction

15. Footballgod214

Thanks for the feedback....in years past the GM would be busy deciding who he's cutting. But as our talent improves across the board, JD can get busy decided who he's going to trade.

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Probably the fastest TE also. I hope they find a spot for him. If we had a creative OC (which we do not) They could do some really cool stuff, especially in the red zone 3 TE formations with Cager out wide. CJ and Conklin inline. Or CJ, Conklin, and Rucker on goal line play. A real match up headache.

SOJAZ, Cman68 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  17. Nyjets4eva

yes and hopefully with Mims gone and asking for a trade this should work in his favor tbh. He deserves it even if we have to list him as another WR he can play both

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Cager is too slow to be a WR. There is a reason he is still looking for a roster spot. The Jets signed him as UDFA like 4 years ago.

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

He's been impressive and has made a good case to make the team. And his play has been standing out since mini camp according to reports I've read, so it's not just a couple good catches - he's been consistent this offseason, which is huge. I expected him to fizzle out as the offseason wore on. I believe he plays special teams but not sure in what regard and how strong his play is. Also curious about his blocking; I wouldn't expect much as an undersized TE who recently converted from WR, but if he's even okay or passable, it'd go a long way. If he adds value on special teams, I think he'll make it. Hypothetically though, if he couldn't contribute on special teams and was a poor blocker, it would be a tougher case to keep him as a 4th TE and then you just hope he clears waivers.

20. Cman68

Looked pretty fast in the ATL game..