Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well if Douglas and Saleh are using your yardstick (A. Smith), maybe he'll be judged a bust by them. I don't think they are though, especially as regards judging last year as "bad". There was a lot of promising signs from Zach among the struggles. So yeah, he didn't prove himself last year, surrounded by a sub-mediocre cast and rookie coaching, but neither did TLaw. And so far this year before he got hurt everyone was saying he looked much improved across the board.

And Alex Smith would've been among the best QBs to play for the Jets.

Borat and Noam like this.
  2. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Let's look at the alternative universe if we didn't draft Zach.

- Some probably still wanted Darnold to be our QB and we could have used those first rounders to build an O-Line for him, and give him so much needed help. Oh yeah no more Gase and yet again another new head coach/system.This wouldn't have worked cause Sam just sucks balls. How much does Sam have to suck considering the Panthers have just named Baker the starting QB coming off of shoulder surgery? and to make it worse Sam was in that system for whole god damn year while Baker showed up this past summer.

- We would be drafting a QB in this past current draft. Pickett, Willis, Corral, Ridder all would have been our primary candidates. Who on that list really excites anyone if you're being honest? And would any of those guys do any better then Zach this upcoming season with this team? Who knows, I guess we'll find out.

- Trade for a Jimmy G type of QB. Perhaps even a Baker Mayfield. Jimmy who has injury history doesn't necessarily make this team any better then Flacco and would cost a lot more. Baker is coming off surgery and has certain questions about him regarding maturity he still needs to figure out. Is he really the answer though?

So for most the guys bashing Zach or JD, what would have been the best path taken? I'm asking seriously cause I don't see any good alternatives.

Borat, bicketybam, JetFanInPA and 3 others like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Zach was the clear cut choice as the number 2 QB in the draft. Albert Breer did a survey of 23 FO's before the draft and all 23 had Zach as the number 2 choice. There was a big drop off after Zach to the number 3 prospect. The top internet QB gurus Tim Jenkins and Simms were both quite bullish on Jones but they still had Zach as the top prospect but the people that mattered most the NFL scouts agreed that Zach was number 2. The only choice the Jets had was Zach or Sam. Some of the media went a little crazy in their love of Sam as both Cimini and Kiper said the Jets would greatly regret trading Sam.

#483 Noam, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  4. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I think you've got it all wrong. No one is rooting for him to fail. It's simply being realistic. I would love nothing more than to have Wilson be a top 5 quarterback and win long term with the Jets. BUT realistically, how often does statistically the worst quarterback in the league that was hurt in college, gets hurt his 1st year AND gets a non contact injury in his 2nd year turn out to be great?

Ralebird likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well the best player on the field in the practices last week was Falcons TE Kyle Pitts. In an alternate world where the Jets didn't draft Zach Wilson, he would be our pro bowl tight end in an offense designed to feature tight ends.

As for who would be QBing, we have no idea! A year ago though Baker Mayfield was the Browns golden boy coming off a playoff run and Russell Wilson was a Seattle lifer. My point is who knows who coulda been available.

Russ Wilson in LaFleur's offense throwing to Elijah Moore and Kyle Pitts though sounds pretty awesome to me

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The difference is you have 2 groups of people. One group that said there are two possibilities that he could fail or he could improve. They offer indications and data for of both trying to put the data into context. I am in this group with the belief it is more likely he will fail. Then we have the second group that only offers one possibility that he will fail. They cherry pick data such as 5 pre-season passes and say see he will fail ignoring the larger sample size of all of the off-season. They take data out of context and distort it to reach their desired opinion. It seems it is all about ego to them. They made a prognostication and spend all their time looking for only data to support it. The problem is even is Zach fails they will have been wrong. Their answer might be right but their process was wrong. Similar to someone guessing the right answer on a math test but failing to show their work. They still get an F as their process has failed by refusing to acknowledge any outcome other than the one they hope to have happen.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Kyle Pitts selected #2 overall by the NYJ!

Borat likes this.
  8. JETFUEL1580

I liked Kyle Pitts but I'm not taking him at #2. I'm wondering how much of a difference he would make even if we traded down, but he was a top 5 guy so who knows if he is even there for us. What should have the Jets done to fix the potential QB situation seeing as Darnold was a lame duck QB? Do you draft another guy who a lot are high on or keep the train running. Nobody is dying to come play QB for the Jets from a trade standpoint ala Russell Wilson. Baker ultimately proved he wasn't the guy in Cleveland, also the Beckham resurgence was another slap in the face to Baker's overall ability if we are being honest. he wouldn't make this team any better.

Russ Wilson by all reports wanted the Broncos the entire time and let it be known to Seattle management. That's the report, I don't think the Jets would have been in his top 5, and no one would blame him when considering the Bronco's talent pool overall.

#488 JETFUEL1580, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Really if you look at his play and the way the Jets have tried to use him it's not.

If the Jets were going to play him day one like they did they should have had a tremendous rookie bubble around him to give him the best chance to succeed.

Even the Jets of 13 years ago adjusted better to their rookie disaster than the 2021 Jets did.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Don't get me started bro.

Br4d likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I hear the other universe Jets in Fringe win the Super Bowl every year.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

1. If they aren't, they're as incompetent as I'm afraid they are.
    2. No more promising signs than Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, or Sam Darnold showed as rookies (fewer promising signs than Sam).
    3. Rookie year didn't mean much for Zach or Trevor. Second year does. We'll see what Zach does in his second year.
    4. It wasn't Alex Smith. It was Alex Smith and countless busts. The odds of Zach sucking in Year 2 and becoming Alex Smith are very slim.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

1. What do you base this on other than your opinion? Don't bother, it's rhetorical.
    2. Sanchez, Geno, and Darnold all had better talent around them, and while the coaching wasn't necessarily better, it wasn't an all rookie CS.
    3. Agreed, and have agreed and asserted this - as have most of the other Wilson supporters - all along.
    4. My point about using Smith as a yardstick is that he is - by your own words - an exception, unlike most rookies who struggle their first two years, so holding Zach up to that Smith standard and deciding he's a bust is simply wrong.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

1. Of course it's my opinion, debating our opinions is what we do here.
    2. Sanchez did. Geno and Darnold didn't. And I'd take LaFleur over Mornhinweg and Bates any day of the week.
    3. Sounds good.
    4. The QBs who were bad both their first 2 years, except for Smith, were all busts. And all the successful ones, except for Smith, didn't struggle in both of their first 2 years. I'm not saying Zach is a bust now, but if his second year is like his first year, then he's almost certainly a bust, and we need to move on. Of course, he might play better this year, in which case he may be a good QB, and we obviously shouldn't move on.

15. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

…or we could have traded for Russell Wilson.

BrowningNagle and ouchy like this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahahaha

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

and Deshaun Watson :)

Russell and his celebrity wife were already angling to come to NYC with the Giants. Wouldn’t been hard and we would have the assets.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. JETFUEL1580

Russ Wilson to the Jets was never happening. People don't want to come here to play unless they are drafted here lol. New York Knicks of the NFL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The analysts crapped on this years QBs but after the draft I was calling it the 2022 QB steal. There was a lot of talented QBs and they mostly went in the 2nd and 3rd round.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Are we really writing off ZW already for our third string QB? Typical Jets fan.

Get on board support the team. It is much more fun. Support Saleh, support Zach, support JD.

This Franchise sucked because it has been in Flux for 20 plus years. Then we expect the GM and coach to turn it around in 2 seasons?

Enjoy the process. This is the first time the Jets have done a complete rebuild in my lifetime.

Enjoy our young players, GW, EM, Sauce, Breese Hall, Que to bame a few. This roster is loaded with young talent, sit back and watch the grow it is an exciting time to be a Jets fan.

The first loss this board will be fire everyone and the first win will be we are going to the Superbowl.

#500 cval, Aug 23, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.