Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I have found myself feeling uncharacteristically optimistic this season (Jets fan since 1984 so I should know better) but I have to agree with this. All the stone-cold facts are on the opposite side of the ledger.

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the play that lead to this injury shows that Wilson is still trying to play "hero ball". It's preseason and he should have run out of bounds. Even in the regular season, he should have run this out of bounds. He would have gotten an extra 3 yards at most if his move was successful. He has a tendency to put himself in danger of injury. Not good.

Ralebird and RochesterJet like this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Probably a scheduling thing with the surgeon. Plus, he got a 2nd opinion on the knee which probably added another day in there.

That's my best guess anyway.

Borat likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

My brother (Cowboys fan) said the same thing and I guess it's just all about perspective.

I saw a guy just playing football and trying to make a play for the team. I can see how some might think that way but I don't share that opinion.

FJF likes this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't agree. He shouldn't try to fake defenders out of their shoes like a running back. He should be avoiding the rush and running for some yards with athletic moves, but he went too far, especially in preseason. He should have just run out of bounds.

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

And I can't believe that after the succession of stiffs we've had at QB for the last TEN YEARS (about), anyone here would complain about Garoppolo behind center for awhile.

Br4d likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Come on it was a run. The kid was just playing football.

8. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Hell be out more than 2 to 4 weeks...6 weeks is more like it.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting we should segregate the board?
    Maybe two drinking fountains?

I'm optimistic till it's time not to be... unfortunately with the Jets that's a narrow window.
    It's the guys that start every season with doom & gloom that I'll never understand.

Where's the fun in that?

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Slap a brace on the knee and get on the field. :)

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I hear you. But he's the most important player on the team and he has a responsibility to stay healthy. There needs to be a balance and in preseason, the balance tips strongly towards staying healthy for Zach Wilson.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

What do we do if Flacco or White play well and actually win the first two games?

That would be funny... :confused:

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I was underwhelmed by Zach's rookie year. I saw some good moments and flashes and the INT-free streak was a very pleasant surprise and can see the potential, but also a lot of bad moments and concerning things he needs to clean up. My hope is that with more seasoning and time in this system, mutually adapting hopefully, and a much improved supporting cast, there is plenty of potential for improvement. I wouldn't say I'm optimistic because he did not look like a franchise QB in the making last year to my eye, but I'm trying to keep an open mind because it's beyond too soon to throw in the towel on him and will only make me a more miserable fan proclaiming he's a bust already. I'd rather see it play out on the field in the coming year or two than decide already he's a bust.

Noam, KY Jets Fan, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

A reasonable sane approach has no place in this space.

You're an anomaly...;)

JetFanInPA likes this.
  15. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Had to smash some moms before it

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You ride them like Sea Biscuit

Acad23 likes this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He did not even get hit. It was a freak NON_CONTACT injury. If he did not get hurt nobody would have said anything about being a risky play. You know why? because it was not.

He needs to now get on the field as quickly as possible. No prolonged recovery.

Noam likes this.
  18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Stafford was 3-10 after his first 13 games, 55% completions, 19 tds and 21 ints

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I honestly liked what I saw last year from Zach Wilson. I think Joe Douglas made a mistake not having a veteran QB here to help him early, plus throwing him into the fire with a new OC, Head Coach, etc was probably an error. He overcame it all though and looked pretty good down the stretch. Many would point to Week 2 against the Patriots as a low, but I actually liked his confidence and his lack of fear in that game. He was too aggressive, where we see many rookies take the opposite approach, especially against a Belichick defense. I expected him to take a very big step in 2022, but now we have to wait and see if his knee will allow that to be possible.

20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

THIS=100%
    The reason why Zach is splaying hero ball is because he's still missing the easy layup plays. Look no further than the overthrow on the routine stick rout that lead to the interception the drive before. Zach will continue to press until the game slows down for him and he makes the routine throws. For many that have played the position in the NFL, that day never comes.
    My hope is that Zach progresses and learns to throw the ball away, and run out of bounds if he can't make the routine throws. This offense has too many young weapons to waste on Zach's inability to develop.

We may see Mike White before long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.