Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Try not to be too optimistic buddy. You might end up jinxing the team.

2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You really believe this. if Zach had a stellar game everyone would be like i told you so - and now he has weapons All Pros on the OL.

3. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This was probably his greatest strength. He's definitely not your prototypical pocket passer.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well I was waiting and waiting for a supportive Post for my Jimmie G idea...thank you mezzavo!! And well stated ...his stats are great

Garropolo has to be 100 per cent healthy...but frankly at 75 per cent he is still a good take tbh. I have always been a Jimmie fan since our idiot GM Idzik let him slip away to the Pats

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. I think it will depend on doctor evaluation as this was a different injury from last year. This was a pretty sharp cut. He could still roll out and throw or get some yards on the ground and have some mobility without trying juke moves. He should slide more, but doesn't need to turn into a statue. Let's see what happens once he recovers.

To be fair, while Zach did have 3 nice passes, the bad far outweighed the good in the limited sample we saw. The overthrow to Wilson should not have happened. GW was wide open for easy 7 yard gain. This was a layup that he just missed. INT was bad too. Not gonna sugar coat it. Like you said there was some good also, but not enough. With that said, I thought Zach was putting together a really nice second drive. It appears he would have had a rushing TD had he not been injured. He beat Dean and the last guy who was coming from he left was blocked by a Jet. We will never know of course, but that was the point also: the sample set from the game, though not great, is very limited.

This is long, but pretty interesting breakdown. In case you are going for a drive or a workout is worth a listen from JetsXFactor.

The Dark Knight and Noam like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

Just curious Doctor did you ever have to give a Patient the prognosis "you have 6 months to live"???

The Jets are the Walking Dead lol

7. NYJetsO12

So obviously no one on this Board has ever heard the Term "blaming the Victim" ???

Br4d myself and the other older fans are just victimized by this pathetic organization but the happy campers on here just love the Kool Aid ...feh

Ralebird and Br4d like this.
  8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

My unearned Jets optimism disappeared in 1986 with Gastineau's late hit. Now I make them demonstrate success first.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Jimmy G has a 25 mil CAP hit this year. You can't just trade for him without doing some CAP machinations. Similarly to what JD did with Duane, but at a much larger scale. You will have to take on a lot of dead CAP over next few years to do this. That means you will give up draft assets, then significant CAP assets that can be used to sign other players. All while the team is not yet ready for play-offs. It just doesn't make any sense.

If you have a team that can actually contend this year, I can see this move if your starter goes down. But for the Jets is not worth to give up future assets for small short term gain. And btw, Jimmy is also injury prone. His days of FQB are over. We need to figure out a way to find FQB, not give up future assets for someone who is not. Zach is still the best bet for that. If he were to be out and JD thinks he is not the answer, we finish the season with Flacco, and then see if we can use the assets to land a stud in the draft or if you can't and really like Jimmy get him as a free agent at a much reduced price and no draft picks conceded.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

And honestly I think we only have 3 million left on the cap, and the Brown contract hasn't been filed yet. The only way we could sign Jimmy G would be to release Mosley, or go into the red or borrow from next year.

#150 ouchy, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Borat likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The way this works, and why other teams are able to sign players for 100+ mils, while having full CAP, is you restructure Jimmy's contract. Say he is at 26 mil now and we are close to the CAP limit. You restructure him say to a 5 year deal. First year is 1 mil, and a signing bonus of 25 mil. He still gets his 26 mil, and 25 of them upfront. Jimmy likes to get paid upfront. CAP hit for bonus is spread out over 5 years, so this year CAP hit is 1 mil base + 5 mil bonus spread, which makes it 6 mil. So now, via CAP machination you have a 26 mil dollar guy for only 6 mil CAP this year. Then next year you waive or restructure him again. So, you spread your CAP over multiple years.

This makes sense to do when you have a ready to win team and these guys bring you over the top. If they are young or core, you can keep restructuring and pushing the buck down the road. But Jimmy is not a long term answer and we don't yet know if we have a team that can win. Chance are if we get Jimmy, we just waive him next year, and then we have 5 mil less CAP for next 4 years. It's just not worth it for him.

EDIT: And if we are at CAP limit with Duane deal, you have to restructure other players too in a similar way to make this happen, so you can create these 6 mil CAP for Jimmy. Plus give up draft assets. It's worth to do for Deshaun or some other players that are a long term answer or help you contend for SB now, but for the Jets and Jimmy as far as I am concerned it would be a moronic move.

#151 Borat, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  12. NYJetsO12

I am reading Borats bad news ...

It makes some sense..sigh

Again , someone tell me John Idzik ruined our chances with a younger and stronger Jimmie G

The Jets history for me over the last 10 years is just a disgusting blur...who was the Coach under Idzik??? Rex?

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Exactly, which is why I said earlier that what Jimmy G brings on the field doesn’t have the value of the cost. To take him off the 49ers hands Joe would need to get a high draft pick as well in return to offset the cap hit. Would the 49ers rather just pay him one more year or prefer to save some money at the cost of a high pick? I would think they’d prefer just to keep him because no competent GM would give up assets for him without getting back something valuable in return in addition to him.

Borat, abyzmul and FJF like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'll bet the 49ers would be happy to let Garoppolo go for a 4th round pick at this point. Assuming he's healthy in 2022, which is a huge assumption, he's probably the difference between 4 wins and 8 wins for the Jets. It might be a larger gap than that. He knows the system LaFleur is trying to run and has had success in it. When on the field he's been a plus QB for the 49ers, going 31-14 since they acquired him with all other QB's going 8-28 over that span.

This would be the kind of move you dump salary cap at another position to make. It's the likely difference between another washout season for the Jets and some chance of success.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I am sure many here would gloat that “I told you so”. And “he s gonna be a top 10 QB!”. If they feel that, let them. Sure I want better results but we got to be patience to see how this pans out. Let the folks here feel optimistic about ZW and let’s see how he fares. I am still on the fence whether he s a legitimate good QB . I am rooting for him. I am eager to see how the team plays in the first couple of months of the regular season.

16. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Zach Wilson will come back from LA with a fixed knee and breast implants.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Of course they would gladly give him away for a fourth; they’d probably take a 7th just to be rid of him. But to get rid of him a smart GM would demand a 2nd back along with Jimmy G. I just don’t care about 4 extra wins this year if those wins are the result of a QB that won’t be here next year. We need 8 wins from Zach Wilson.

FJF and abyzmul like this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What you thought you saw is not at all based on reality or you would have quoted what makes you think that way. That is no surprise, your connection with reality is feeble at best when it comes to objectively evaluating the Jets. When you stop trying to make a lame excuse for everything screwed up will be a sign you're on your way to dealing with the reality of this team. Nobody cares how many completions anyone has playing catch at practice.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Wilson is not a franchise quarterback; it takes much more than being number one on the depth chart.

20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You should quit your full time job and get into a football department somewhere if you know that after 13 games by age 22.

KingRoach likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.