Addition by subtraction?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets81, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

So let’s say Zach is done for a while (or the season). Does this Jets team become better than they were before his injury?

Will the new skill position players benefit more from a veteran like Minshew or Jimmy G. running the offense?

Are they good enough to win their way out of a prime draft pick to replace Wilson if that’s on the table?

LIJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Minshew could provide some entertainment in a lost season.

Jojo likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not sure since neither unit played well enough to make an informed judgement. DL generated no pressure. OL couldn't run block and pass pro was sketchy at best. The injury just gives this CS another mulligan for '22.

PVO....

SOJAZ, mrmajix, Jets81 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I feel for the kid but come on he was never gonna succeed in NY ... he has more drama off the field and his mentality was not built for NY. anyway when was the last time the Jets developed a QB?? plus the only reason he tried to gain extra yards is because he had the INT in the back of his mind and wanted to leave a better impression. no INT no slide (just my 2 cents) the kid is a terrible football player.

anyone who had high hopes for the kid was either really optimistic (as a Jet fan no idea why you would be) or just plain dumb. as a 27 year long time Jet fan this was to be expected yet I still had hope for 30 seconds.

my initial hopeful win total was over 5 now idk if that's even possible with how bad our D looked. (please don't tell me it was 1 pre season game) it's been the same old story for years and years.

it's amazing how as soon as I change the channel to any other game you see offenses flying all over the field yet here we dink and dive and pray.

boozer32, LIJetsFan, mrmajix and 4 others like this.
  5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah something is fundamentally broken. In today's NFL everyone can move the ball except for us. Everyone gets chunks we pick up a couple yards a play.
    Defense has consistently had pockets that opponents find where there's no one around them at all.

SOJAZ, Jojo, NYJetsO12 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I switched to the niners and within 1 minute a 75 yard TD

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

POV... POV...POV.. makes a difference?

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s crazy to think the Jets become a better team with Flacco than Zach.

It’s only one drive in one preseason, but Zach overthrew an easy out, and then through an absolutely brutal INT. That looked a lot like Zach at his worst from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

The first unit on O & D picked up where they left off last year. Poor pass protection, no push on the run game, bad mechanics by Zach.

On D there were receivers open everywhere. And Quincy Williams should have been pulled after that horrible hit on Hurts out of bounds. There is no excuse for that anytime but it's even worse in the preseason.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Regardless of performance, this is bad for the franchise especially when you consider there’s absolutely no way they handle it correctly.

No quarterback available is realistically going to help this team to the playoffs. The best option was Wilson taking a big step forward.

If they roll a horrible season and he’s done for the year the absolute correct move, barring a Lawrence Taylor being available, is to take another QB in the draft. Let Wilson start next year while the rookie gets his feet under him unless he absolutely blows Wilson out of the water. And your best case scenario is you end up in a Rivers/Brees situation.

What the Jets are going to do though is give him the keys to the castle next year again with no competition or backup plan.

I can’t watch a full season of Flacco. I can deal with the unknown of White.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on. This is a no win situation for us. Way too much speculation going on left and right by the fans, wanting to throw everything out the window. We didn't see enough of Wilson yesterday to start second guessing everything. Classic uneventful start with flashes of proper reads here and there and then a bone headed throw. From my viewpoint the entire team started quite frankly poorly as hell and capped with a massive stupid ass defensive penalty. Discipline by the CS needs to be elevated. Flacco is not the answer to a full season. Bringing in a vet QB does zero for our long term solution. Giving White the opportunity will at least document one way or another his true potential. Drafting both a QB and LT next year should be top priorities. And no, not giving up on either Wilson or Becton but true competition will be part of the plan for starter positions.

Cman68 and Noam like this.
  12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

As much as we wanna talk QB fail there is a BIG PAIR OF BINOCULARS on seeing how JD handles this.
    Saleh is disappointing me rn but he has a bunch of high school kids...that'll take time and I still think he's a guy you want long term to do that job.
    but the GM? This is where you get paid. The egg that was in the basket is showing cracks.....
    What's shakin in Florham...On the phone or checking in w/my 2 dads. o_O

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach is not done for the season.

Minshew or Jimmy G. aren't on our team.

We always win enough to fuck up a prime draft pick.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hate the idea of playing for a top draft pick every year. The ideal place for this team is for Zach to show he's a FQB and not have to worry about the position for at least 10 years. Now, we'll have to wait a while this season to watch him play in a game that counts.

westiedog1, mrjet80 and abyzmul like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think that if Zach doesn't work out, the Jets need to explore veterans via trade or FA next, and stop wasting to draft picks on players with the highest bust potential. I am tired of watching this team fail to develop a QB properly.

It looks like they're in the right place now, but who knows if Wilson will put it all together, and Joe made a mistake (IMO) putting any eggs in the Becton basket. All to spare the guy's fragile feelings, probably.

I'm good with us picking in the middle of the first round going forward. Joe has a good enough eye to find elite talent there. This team needs to learn how to win games with or without Zach Wilson.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails, FJF and 2 others like this.
  16. ROCCO

ROCCO Active Member

I like Saleh, however, I thought his post game was brutal. Yes, you understand that a significant injury was a possibility, but come on man, how about talking up some positives you saw in that game last night? Saleh looked as though he lost his puppy after the game. Positive vibes only?

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You start - what positives did you see in the game?

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

KO return game looked good.

And we will be seeing lots of KO's... :confused:

Cman68 likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It could be a good thing. Wilson obviously was going to struggle weeks 1-4. now he can sit, someone else can struggle and he can come in with low expectations

Jets should be in no rush to bring him back, let him take his time to heal and hold a clipboard

LAJet likes this.
  20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Good post. I want to be picking at the bottom of round one. I presume that's why we drafted Wilson. I don't fault JD for the Becton pick. It was the right pick at that point in time. You can't predict injuries, that's just bad luck.

I agree about Wilson, however, the timeline for finding out about him is still a ways away, unless he's seriously hurt which he doesn't appear to be. There's a lot of talent on the Jets now, we can't be diddling around drafting another QB in 2 years if Wilson fails. After this, the Jets need to go after a veteran or the talent will be wasted.

Right now, what concerns me more than Wilson is the coaching staff. This 2022 team looked too much like the 2021 team on Friday and that shouldn't be.

abyzmul and LAJet like this.