Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Meniscus tear is tricky. Trimming some of it now will probably shorten his NFL career. But letting it heal on its own will put him out longer.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

A lesson for some of us not to rely on Twitter for injury updates. And yes I got roped into it too. After 30 minutes last night almost this entire board had Zach written off for the year.

Cimini was leading the charge reminding everybody of Jets QB preseason injuries in years past. Now he’s in the “Great news” bandwagon. Hack…..

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You ARE an optimist at heart, after all.

azhar80, BacktoQueens, jonnyd and 2 others like this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

was this the same as the Sanchez injury in his rookie year? I want to say he only missed a game and a half ….

5. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Surprising positivity on the board this morning. If past is prologue I was sure it would be fire the coach, OC, GM etc. Go Jets!

azhar80, Noam and mrjet80 like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I didn't get to see the game yet, but I recorded the rebroadcast. Saw some highlights and what struck me on the injury play was Jordan Davis the beast. He throws McGovern out of the way, Tomilson tries to chip him and just bounces off, and then he runs Zach down. The non contact injury might have been better than actually getting tackled by the guy. Glad he ain't in our division. Look at this:

He's looking like a steal at 13, and they got Dean at 83.

IIMeanDeanII and azhar80 like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Flacco should start week 1 if Wilson can’t get a full week of practice in leading up to the game.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Trimming of meniscus does not make it stronger - weaker actually, because you are removing part of it. Depending on a tear, if very little is removed, there is no point to do repair and there is little to no reduction in stability long term. A larger trim could cause future recurrence. That's where the second opinion comes in. Hopefully there is a consensus that it is very minor and the meniscus will be close to 100% long term.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are right, he needs to be very careful careful in the future. But honestly, I am looking at this play, and Zach didn't do anything crazy. He juked out Dean, it was an athletic play, but this was a non contact injury. Could have probably ran for a TD if he didn't get injured or at the very least for big first down gain.

FJF likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

maybe somebody will teach him to fucking slide.

papapump and Poeman like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I for one couldn't be more relieved.. I hate to see any player, period, particularly a kid, in his early 20s, that day in and day out puts out 100% plus effort and does whatever is asked of him to become better at his craft. Same goes for Becton for that matter.. Injuries are part of NFL life, I will accept that, but we sure had more than our share over the years. Im happy for the youngster to return to full health first and foremost.
    I'm not going to sit here and say Wilson is our savior, not even close, lots more needs to be proven, but by God I want to give him and Becton and the rest every chance to prove it on the field one way or another. .We dodged a mayor bullet here from a health perspective, hope we learn from it. Time will tell if we got our QB or not. I sure as hell will not pass judgement over two series in pre season one, no more than with the good practices he had this year.
    I just want for our team to be healthy enough to prove it when it counts.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I agree Davis and Dean are great picks. But in all fairness, McGovern held him for several seconds, and could have done it for longer. He gave in only when Tomlinson stupidly pushed Davis into McGovern trying to help. And even then Davis didn't cause the pressure at all, it was Max. As far as finishing play, Zach was gone, the only reason he caught up and touched him is because Zach fell due to injury. Davis wasn't stopping Zach, and neither was Dean. Watch the play again, put stopwatch, and tell me if he really beat CMG. I don't think so.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The harsh reality is that Zach doesn't have the body to play football the way he tries to play. The only season since his junior year of high school that he wasn't injured was the cupcake season before the draft. One healthy year in the last 5 seasons. From here on out we are going to have to worry about him being hit and its probably the beginning of the end. Fingers crossed he can beat the odds but this is a common scenario.

IIMeanDeanII and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets best chance at competent QB play this season was LaFleur having a coming to Jesus moment about Zach not being able to run his offense and adapting the offense to what Zach could do reliably.

The next best chance was a season-ending injury to Zach giving LaFleur a chance to work with another QB and maybe finding somebody who could run the thing.

Predictably the Jets instead got a short-term injury to Zach which will forestall the moment of reckoning for LaFleur and also prevent him from developing a rapport with anybody else. Then we’ll get Zach on the field again in September and things will just roll right into the crash ahead of us.

Only the Jets...

IDFjet and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I do see this as possible reality, but injures have not been major. He didn't miss much time, even with these injuries. That gives me some hope. He should tone it down though to start with and let's go from there. Also this puts further emphasis on protection. We probably need to sign another decent OL before the season.

ouchy likes this.
  16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I had to watch this a few times to try and see what you did, still didn't see it. It looks like Davis had a bit of leverage on McGovern and was trying to throw him to the side but thenTomlinson hits Davis, that gave Davis the extra momentum to push McGovern to the side. McGovern still had him blocked for 3-4 seconds, how much longer do you think he should be able to block him?

azhar80, themorey, jonnyd and 2 others like this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am no doctor, but read some about it. Basically think of meniscus as a padding between connecting bones. Any injury to it is considered a tear, no matter how small. If it is small, you just go in arthroscopically, trim that "padding" a bit to align, so when it heals, it is in a right spot, doesn't stick out. Then it can heal on it's own in a few weeks. Depends on how small. Since you removed only a little bit of padding, you should have no future problems and basically get full function of the padding back. This is the hope for Zach, as it looks small on MRI. When they go in there, they will know for sure exactly how small, and that will determine how long exactly it will take to heal. Smaller, the faster.

If tear is large, you can usually see on MRI. Then it is not a good idea to trim large part of meniscus, since in the future the padding will not work well and bones will come into contact or close to contact, and that can cause problems. So, in this case you repair/suture the padding, and then trim to align. This repair could be season ending. That's where I think second opinion comes in, they just want to make sure indeed everyone agrees it is not the case, and only small tear is confirmed. This is rather standard process.

So, let's hope second opinion confirms it is minor, they go in tonight or tomorrow the latest to trim very little, and Zach can return to practice in a few weeks.

#37 Borat, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What? He didn't even get hit. This is a ridiculous take.

19. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

You’re kind of a miserable human being aren’t you?

20. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

My only thought was same old Jets, another 2 win season here we come. Glad its not serious

cval and abyzmul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.