If Zach Wilson is out for…

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFOREVER, Aug 12, 2022.

?

Do you trade a mid round pick for Jimmy G?

1. Yes

37.0%
  2. No

63.0%
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

More positive news this morning. Hopefully they get the MRI results back soon and we’ll know for sure though.

NYJFOREVER, hornblower, FJF and 5 others like this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Even great QBs throw bad INTs and it was only preseason, but damn that was a brutal throw. And poor situational awareness to not just run out of bounds in a freaking preseason game, but the vast majority of the time that won't lead to a significant knee injury.

If it is a tear, that is absolutely crushing. We need to see how this whole thing is coming together and if Zach is out for the year, we don't even get a chance or an evaluation. And in that scenario, after a bad rookie year and a pattern of injuries, they need to either draft a new QB or acquire a vet to plug and play if the rest of the team starts looking ready to compete.

Hopefully it's short term and we get to see him play the most of the season. But it'll get interesting if the offense again looks a lot better with Flacco or Mike White than Zach. And in that scenario, you also need to be thinking about QBs in 2023

themorey, Borat and Noam like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why is there this thought that Garoppolo (regardless of what you think of his ability) has a chance to come in and drive this team to even a one and done in the playoffs?

I understand we had a good off-season but we didn’t win a division game, we won one road game and had four total wins. We are in the toughest division in football with a group of players that largely haven’t played together.

Borat and JetBlue like this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

A lot of great posts on this thread, and yes I read every one. Here's my take:

1. Was mortified to see Zach perform like the beginning of last year. Oh no, not again!
    2. Was devastated to see him injured trying to imitate Barry Sanders. Not smart
    3. Was a also disappointed in MW's performance though it was better than Zach's. Was hoping White might bail us out for the season.
    4. Can't tell much about Streveler. He was very good, but with our 3rd string against their 3rd string. Probably not the answer, although he looks and plays a lot like Fitzpatrick.

Going forward:

1. I'm not against bringing Garoppolo here but I doubt he would come unless he gets a fair shot to win the job permanently. Which means Zach goes to the bench if he's successful.
    2. If the Jets still have faith in Wilson, then the answer is Flacco. Even though he hasn't won any games as a Jet (who has?), in the games he did play, he demonstrated that he could move the ball. The Jets as currently configured, deserve a QB that delivers the kind of performance that can win games. Flacco can do that. Mike White is still a developmental question mark.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He doesn’t have the luxury to make demands any more. He’s entering journeyman mode and will no longer ever be any ones viable long term solution.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's not over yet. Even if the injury is not bad, yes, still there is nothing good about our QB injuring his PCL for 4 weeks for two years in a row. Part of the reason why we drafted the guy was because he is mobile. But now that they know about the weakness in knee, maybe there are ways to prevent this from occurring. He can still be somewhat mobile but without crazy cuts like this. Wear a brace at all times. Not sure if anything can be done in the offseason either surgically or using some regeneration techniques or exercises to strengthen it, given this is a repeat occurrence. Still if this is only a few week thing, with the brace and maybe slowing down a little as far as super athletic cuts, he may be OK.

This can be very different than someone like Mekhi who missed two years with a serious knee injury, had two knee surgeries and his huge size and weight makes his future prospects bleaker as well. Let's see how the season plays out. There is some hope with Zach yet.

7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Can you really not believe it though? This team is just so exhausting.

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think the plan this year was for Zach to run more and take the easy yards. This might change it in the short term. Not sure the long term.

The bigger loss is the practice time and getting re-acclimated to the speed of the game. He had put together 7 straight really good practices. He is going to lose a lot of reps, sharpness and learning.

I don't know if the knee is weak. Last year was a freak injury with someone falling on him and here his toe gets caught in the turf on a cut he has likely done hundreds of time in the off-season.

The good news is his mechanics were a lot better yesterday, his decision making was light years faster and he was getting the ball out on time. No hopping on his back foot of his drop. Just bam, read his key and the ball is out. He made the wrong read on the INT but I will take that everyday over last years indecisiveness. He looked much better last night in a small sample and it was very encouraging. My opinion is making mistakes are fine those things can be fixed a lot easier than bad mechanics and being indecisive. He looked light years better but again in a small sample.

JRJR, JETFUEL1580 and Borat like this.
  9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That may be, but the Jets don't have the luxury of waiting to draft another QB either. The Jets can win with this team, they just need the QB play to get it done, although I must add the coaching is becoming a question mark as well.

10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

This is where I'm at with Jimmy G, and where are they getting 25.2 million from? Are the 49ers going to pickup more than half of that contract?

If they're going to trade for someone, try for Minshew. He's younger, makes nothing, and he's not a statue who is going to get crushed while this line takes time to gel. The Jets need a gamer behind Wilson if this turns out to be a PCL injury for the second consecutive year.

Side note, I knew White's arm was pretty weak, but last night he looked like Pennington after his 2nd comeback. Anything over 10 yards was a duck.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Mike White had the lowest average depth of target of any QB in the NFL last year at close to 6 yards and unfortunately the highest interception rate. Zach's injury might be MWs only path to making the roster.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d say the afc west is the toughest division but otherwise, I agree

ouchy likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Zach's performance was VERY similar to Green/White scrimmage. The INT is almost identical. This was a quick vanilla play to gain a few easy yards, he stared down his guy, LB saw this and moved to intercept, Zach still threw the ball. It's not great he is repeating same mistakes, not going to sugar coat it. But last time he made this mistake, he put together 5 good days, and even finished the G/W scrimmage decently. His stint was too short to evaluate. He missed one more pass, hit 3 good ones, and had a nice escape from pressure before injury. He is still a second year player, who will make mistakes, but this short stint is not the end of his evaluation. He was ascending in practice, and one INT does not change the entire trajectory. Hopefully injury is 4 weeks like last time, and we will see him on the field early in the year if not in the opener.

If this is a same injury as last year, what that basically means is that he can't really do cuts like this, and his mobility should be somewhat limited and perhaps he needs a brace. If there is one silver lining, Zach learned that now with season more than 4 weeks away and can make an adjustment accordingly. If he didn't injure it now, there is overwhelming likelihood he injures it during the year. Then he will have to miss quite a few weeks mid season, which is way worse than preseason. Just keeping fingers crossed this is a 3-4 week thing. Then there still a legitimate hope for the season.

Noam and Mogriffjr like this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I don’t think there’s weakness in the knee. He ran plenty of times last year. He was being competitive and made a cut that just so happened to get him hurt. Honestly you don’t want guys to not play like themselves, that’s when they really get hurt imo.

hornblower and Noam like this.
  15. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware. His throws looked way more zippy against the Bengals and Colts last year. Last night, he looked like a shell of last year.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If this is same exact thing as last year, there has to be weakness. It's like lightening striking twice in the same spot. First time, yes, could have been a fluke, but now the second time in the same spot - it's an established pattern. Yes, he did run a lot last year, and he injured it. He ran again now and injured it. Not saying every time he runs he injures, but the more he runs the more chances he will injure it.

If you look at Becton, originally everyone thought first injury was also a fluke. But later he had knee cap pop again and we learned that Becton has a knock knee condition, where he is more prone to this injury, further exacerbated by his weight. So, another guy in the same exact situation (or if Becton weighted less) probably doesn't get injured or at least not as bad.

In Zach's case we may not know why he is prone to this, like we found out for Becton, but based on the outcomes, he just is. If same injury, the good news (fingers crossed) is that relatively speaking it is a minor knee injury. But you don't want that to keep happening, so some sort of adjustment does need to be made. Can't keep doing the same thing and expect different result.

#156 Borat, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If he is OK then he plays the year and if he doesn't look like the answer we look to draft Young or Stroud - if he is not OK then go with Flacco or White and get a top 4 draft pick - there is no point whatsoever in trading for Jimmy G and ending up with a 6 win season

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

From what I recall last year, he was able to practice pretty quickly. He was not able to practice with ones because others had to start, but maybe this time he can as the season is 4 weeks out. Still, he will definitely lose practice time at least a couple of weeks, which is significant, but after initial brutal shock, I am now hopeful he can get back to practice in two weeks; have a good practice eventually and start either 9/11 or 9/18.

Might not be terrible to see Flacco kick his old team's ass, then Zach returns full strength week 2 :)

hornblower and Noam like this.
  19. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

As long as the injury isn’t serious, I’ll worry about the play if he’s still doing it week one. I thought that was what preseason was for.

FJF and JetFanInPA like this.
  20. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I agree. But I wonder what was the point of calling that play to begin with. After a stuffed run to the right side, the Eagles had all of
    their defenders close to the line on both the strong and weak sides, and they obviously were not expecting Wilson to throw deep,
    and Wilson throws a short pass into tight coverage. He's got to chuck it away or throw it deep, but was that called (hope not) or is he just
    afraid of the rush (hope not). The Eagles seemed to have Wilson's tendencies down pat.