Quinnen Williams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Lon Chaney, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't know. Maybe it's the whiskey. Maybe it's the excitement of pre season starting. But I really think Quinnen Williams is gong to have a monster season.

Like many, I was luke warm on the pick originally. Not because of the player but because of the circumstance. But QW has produced when healthy and I think he's primed for a break out. Dude is 24 and entering his prime. Has produced even when injured and with the lack of a real outside threat. He looks bigger and stronger than in previous camps.

Here's my take. Williams finishes with double digit sacks and becomes the leader of this defense. Earns a huge second contract and is a mainstay in this jets defense

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I've heard the bullish Quinnen offseason stuff every year since he was drafted. Someone on Twitter even made a compilation of the praise Quinnen gets every offseason - it's always the same stuff. "Best shape of his life, poised for a breakout year."

I'll believe it when I see it.

Brook!, dmw, Jojo and 7 others like this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s strange, but while I am very optimistic for this coming season, I don’t have high hopes for Quinnen. He’s just never been a player who’s excited me. Let’s see what he can do, I would certainly love him to change my opinion of him!

blackssmagic likes this.
  5. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I personally would never draft a DT in the top #10 let alone #3, but I will always support anyone the team drafts. Williams is a talented player, and how good/great he will become is still to be determined. But like someone here already mentioned I want to see it before I believe it. It's been 3 seasons already and I haven't seen it enough yet.

blackssmagic, REVISion and themorey like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Q is top 10 at his position his biggest sin is playing the same position as Aaron Donald.

7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Still a pup at 24 years old.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

slight edit

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Person makes a post at 1:30am. Leads said post with, "I don't know. Maybe it's the whiskey."

I feel pretty confident in saying, it was DEFINITELY the whiskey haha

But to answer your post, I am a little higher on Quinnen this year than I have been in previous years. Seems like every practice, he has at least 1-2 sacks, and this isn't the Jets IOL of old. Tomlinson, McGovern, and AVT is damn good, probably top 10 in the league. The fact that he's beating these guys should give all of us a little bit of optimism for him going into this year.

But, like @REVISion said in his post, we've seen this pre-season song and dance before. Count me in the "cautiously optimistic" camp for Quinnen this year though.

Brook!, REVISion, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

First thing, he needs to stay healthy. He's missed 8 games in three years. I think with a solid group of DEs, Q will have tons more 1v1 opportunities.

Two things to remember: 1. like @Acad23 said, Q is only 24 years old. By comparison Donald entered the league at the age of 23.
    2. Even with missed time, he's put 13 sacks the past two years in 28 games. Not amazing but definitely respectable from an interior lineman.

JETFUEL1580 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think the important thing looking at camp performance are trends and QW is certainly trending upwards and flashing every practice. He has an opportunity especially in this defense with the talent on the DL to breakout. I believe he had some injuries last year? The important thing for him is to stay healthy. I have seen reports that Marshall has had a very good camp which is really nice t hear. DL cuts will be hard.

KY Jets Fan and Lon Chaney like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

why havent they signed him to an extension already? '

Everyone mentioning he's only still 24 and primed for a breakout season, the Jets should be locking him in before he breaks out. Suppose he does break out, he will hit free agency as a 26 year old pro bowl DT. He will get huge money somewhere else

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Maybe he’s not in a hurry either.

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The really nice thing about Q is he has been very patient and said he he is not in a hurry and it will happen when it will happens. He has also said it is not about money and he wants to be here long term, he seems to imply that he will not be chasing every dollar to be the highest paid. So it does not look like a situation that will get ugly and should work out as long as he stays healthy. From a team perspective the FO is like a little risk adverse and probably wants to see him healthy next off-season before signing him long term but they will have to pay him more for waiting.

JETFUEL1580, Leicester Jet and FJF like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Im sure he isn't. We've been in this position before. They aren't in a hurry to sign until theres a trade request

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Q won't have a breakout year because he's bigger. Or because he's stronger. Q will have a breakout year because he's.....in a contract year.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Technically next year is his contract year as the Jets picked up his 5th year option for 2023.

Footballgod214 and FJF like this.
  18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Who cares, can he play RT?

19. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Q will have a break out year as he will have more talent around him, so he won't get so many double teams - if he does, that will leave other free to pass rush

Noam and K'OB like this.
  20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

it's all blah blah blah...lets hope he turns into an elite DT