Mekhi Becton INJURED in practice today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I think Saleh has a graduate degree from the Aaron Boone School of Media Relations.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Becton once again is on the news front and center for the wrong reason. I feel bad for him, first and foremost, because his future and his livelihood were on the line, but worst for for the Jets, since we were counting on him to hold up the fort on the RT spot. Be that as it may, I hope JD pulls out an ace and bolsters the position more. Having said that, time to move on.Lots of good stuff coming out of training camp, so I refuse to cast a large shadow across all the good work we have seen from the new players in total in training camp and start once again second guessing every selection by JD on account of Becton and the 2020 draft.

bicketybam, chandler and Noam like this.
  3. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

As disappointing as it is, in the back of our minds we all knew this was going to happen. I hate to admit it, but I am not surprised at all. Honestly, I'd rather this happen now at the beginning of camp then right smack in the middle of the season when the line was starting to gel. This at least gives us time to sign a couple replacements and let them work with each other through training camp, and hopefully be ready by september.

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm happy Sauce (or we just calling him Ahmad for now?) has looked great by all indications and optimistic he becomes the high end corner he looks like he has the potential to be soon because if not, passing on Icky for him would be brutal.

But I do feel good about the line from LT through RG and Becton was always the biggest question mark. To feel good about 4 spots on the OL is pretty good! I'm hopeful that they'll be able to sign or trade for a viable hold-the-fort RT while they see if/when Max Mitchell can get a shot at RT. Or maybe this is the offseason that Chuma, who is a great fit for this scheme on paper, takes a leap (too unrealistic to even speculate, right?). Curious if anyone already on the roster emerges or who they bring in.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah but its practice man

6. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Isn't he a multi-millionaire?

7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Is AVT an option at RT? I recall he played some tackle in college

might be easier to get another RG

IDFjet and tomdeb like this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I posted that earlier. Move AVT to RT and play Herbig at RG. Not too late--We still have not had a preseason game. As I mentioned, AVT is versatile and D. Woody came into the NFL as a center for the Pats but was an absolute stud for the jets at RT.

ColoradoContrails and IDFjet like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm sure he was hoping for a long, successful career as we did, not just cashing in on his rookie contract so he can open up a restaurant.

bicketybam likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

TBH I do think we could get Jenkins from the Bears - maybe even for Mims. But Jenkins is another endless injury case, hovering around bust at this point. He's already missed 7 practices this season. I think we'll sign Brown, and be damn glad he was available. But injuries are going to happen as the season progresses and we need to sign more capable big bodies than just 1.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

He got $18 million guaranteed. He will have no money worries for he rest of his life if he's smart. I absolutely was hoping he would have a long and successful career, with the Jets ideally, but the guy is fine financially. He's rich.

LAJet likes this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is a great example of career risk and how it can have a real, tangible impact on how well a GM runs a team.

Being a GM is about assembling a good team but it's also about keeping your job. Publicly "admitting" to a mistake by cutting a guy, trading him, or acquiring his replacement is tough. The optics of taking Ekwonu at 4 to replace Becton, two years after taking Becton at 11, would've been awful.

What's really inexcusable though is that no half-measure was even taken to insure against Becton. Ekwonu would've been a full measure, but we didn't even show urgency in signing anyone in FA or taking an OT with the Jermaine Johnson pick. Did we even seriously consider Reiff?

Let's just hope this doesn't turn into a GVR situation where there's a glaring hole on the line which has a clear negative impact on Zach.

ColoradoContrails, Cman68 and Jets79 like this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Especially Iowa linemen

they breed them special there seems like

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

interesting point about the high ceiling vs high floor argument. Strategically I would think it depends on where the team is at.

so for a rebuilding team like us with a shit roster I would say go for the high floor guys first…bring some basic competency into the building before you start taking riskier players

we now have the benefit of hindsight and clearly Wirfs has been the better player, but I do recall the question of LT vs RT… we needed the LT and Wirfs was and still is a RT. And to be fair Becton didn’t have an injury history in college. I don’t beat up JD too much on that choice at the time.

I DO beat him up for not having a plan THIS year though because all the signs over two years show that Becton can’t stay on the field consistently. I wanted to first keep Moses and then when we didn’t I thought we’d be going OT at 4 … that’s what I wanted at the time and I regret it even more now.

granted JD can salvage the situation if he brings in Brown or another competent OT I guess and then go draft a tackle next year… it still sucks that we have to do that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

So, Saleh just said that Becton's season is most likely over. That's two seasons in a row now. I think it's safe to say that his career is pretty much over as well.

ColoradoContrails, Cman68 and Acad23 like this.
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

It's going to take a lot for him to get back again, I am sure he will try again but maybe the docs will tell him his knees aren't cut out for this sport

18. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I have sympathy for players who dream of making it, but don't. So first-up I feel sorry for Becton as he won't have the career he planned. The one saving grace for him is that he will be financially secure at least. The incident that caused it looked really innocuous. I'm afraid that makes me think that he is unlikely to rehab to NFL standard. The injury sounds serious and unfortunately he looks like an injury bust. If some of that is on him, by remaining overwight last year, then I suspect he is not monitored closely enough and that is a further concern. Their projections must have been positive or they'd not have passed on both Neal (who I didn't want) & Ekwonu.

I watched WFAN this morning and both the HC and GM seemed accepting of it. "Sick for him, but next man up". They'll have signed Brown within the next day.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Cman68 likes this.
  20. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Coach Saleh is great at handling all those questions from the media. He really feels for his players. Quality guy.