Hypothetical Poll: What would you trade Becton for?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Jan 17, 2022.

?

Minimum pick for Becton?

1. 1st only

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. 2nd or better

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. 3rd or better

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Multiple late rounders

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Other / Player

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Put him at guard, he wants to be a road grader.

AVT and Becton at the guard spots, Fant & Neal at the tackles. Let’s line up and pound the rock

stinkyB and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Mahomes and Becton did not have the same injury.

They both had a patella dislocation, but Mahomes had a torn MPFL which doesn't take long to rehab from if you don't get surgery, which Mahomes never did. Becton had a torn MCL and damage to his meniscus which required surgery to clean up.

Those are two drastically different injuries.

KingRoach likes this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Hence the 4-8 week timeline when Mahomes returned in 2. The latest reports we have say Becton will "probably" be ready for OTA's. No matter how we slice it he has taken an exceptionally long time to recover from this, and we have evidence that part of that is his own fault due to gaining weight.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Becton had bad luck in 2021 because all we heard in Training Camp was that he was being dominated by Lawson in practice. He did not look good in the new system, etc. Then Week 1 shows up and he instantly gets hurt, and never returns. So it was basically non-stop negative energy. That caused some fans to give up on him pretty quick.

The truth is he was just having learning pains like a lot of the offense was. One day it would have clicked and he would have returned to his borderline-dominant style from his rookie season. No doubt he would have at least improved during the year.

If you are the Jets now, I don't think you worry about his ability on the field. He will get it. He will line up next to AVT and they will be a dominating left side. What you worry about is his durability. He will recover from this and be ready to roll in 2022, but what if he gets hurt again? What if a 2 week injury takes 5 weeks to heal? Those are problems they will have to deal with.

To answer the OP's question though, I would need a 1st Round pick and I would also need to know that the Front Office or Coaching Staff did not want him. Becton is too young to give up on. Especially with all his talent.

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Teams are also going to factor in how often a QB gets hit/hits compared to a lineman. A knee injury like Becton's or Mahomes' is much worse for an offensive lineman than it is a QB. To add to that, the Jets training staff appears to be hilariously bad. This same training staff thought an Elijah Moore quad injury was going to be 3 weeks, but wound up being 5 weeks.

Becton is the type of guy who is going to have to workout like a maniac his entire life to keep weight off because of ridiculous size. When he was recovering from his injury and surgery, he wouldn't have been able to workout the way he was normally, it's just an unfortunate situation.

Let's wait and see what happens in 2022 before we start writing off Becton for good.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

What potential did anyone really see in Mims? 350yards receiving in 8 games? Thats potential or is that J Smith type numbers if he was targeted as often?

And I keep reading it here, but how was Becton not in shape last year? He came to camp in much better shape than in his rookie season after working with a nutritionist in that offseason, as he is now

7. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I don’t base potential off just stats, especially when a team is an void of quality starters as much as we have been for many years. When he made plays and had good games I saw the potential ijs

8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Hmm. It sounds like you’re in the “don’t trade Becton” camp as recent as a few months the ago.
    #Revisioninst History

9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Wrong or right, you get probs for "Revisionist History." Very nice.

(Next time, don't botch it by adding the extra 'N' at the end of Revisioninnnst.)

#29 twown, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  10. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Lunch at Taco Bell.

Seriously, though, I don't see any good opportunity to trade. If he misses two out of his first three seasons, no one is going to trade much for that. It doesn't cost us much to keep him on the roster, and he has huge upside when he can contribute. Otherwise, let him go at the end of his rookie contract.

If the dude can't get and stay reasonably healthy, I don't think anyone will invest in him anyway.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I don’t usually point out typos (and I try not to edit) but I feel like I woulda been upgraded to “props” if I’d taken the time to re-read before posting. I guess I’ll just settle for “probs”

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Ouch.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is where I’m at now. Can’t imagine we’d get anything for him in a trade right now.

Might as well keep him at this point but his days of being a penciled in starter at either OT position are over.

OT just leaped up our needs list for next offseason, probably to #1.

Noam likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lemme up the ante from Wilsonjetfan >>Taco Bell, a Bacon Cheeseburger and since he is from Louisville the Coaching Staff and Trainers get an all expense paid trip to the Kentucky Derby:p

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Unless he recovers to play this year the 5th year option is off the table and a viable starter will be brought in next year unless they think Mitchell could be that guy. But, this new injury may now explain why he was not medically cleared from last years injury until May of this year.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I thought he'd end up a journeyman. Now he may not get a second contract which sucks for him. Have to wonder if he took conditioning seriously this second injury wouldn't have happened.

If he's out for the rest of the year and there's evidence he blows up in weight again I think cutting bait is fine. Too much stank.

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Yeah, "Probs"... is a typo. You got me. Sorry.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Wouldve been nice.....

Hopefully Sauce becomes Revis Jr.

20. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I would hold onto him. We could try re-signing him to a bargain deal. But starting left tackle money is out the window now.

stinkyB likes this.