Mekhi Becton INJURED in practice today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He will get paid and start if we do sign him I think. As old as he is is, he was a Pro Bowler last year and didn't miss a game. If Douglas can also find a trade partner for a starting T and have him on the bench, even better of course, but it might be difficult at this point. No one is looking to give starting tackles away. We are lucky Duane is around still.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah I would have been shocked to see him make it through the season. Still sucks

abyzmul likes this.
  3. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I remember most mock drafts had us selecting Wirfs. The Jets brass had a different opinion, as always.

tomdeb, ouchy, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Nice try but I was banging the "consider trading Becton" drum before he suffered the injury vs. the Panthers. Becton showing up to that training camp overweight was enough red flags for me.

Looking forward to you continuing to act like this wasn't predictable instead of just realizing you're a moron and didn't pick up on the dozens of clues.

5. Jedi mind tricks

Most Jets fans had different opinions as well as I remember. Just how it goes man:(

6. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Bro, there were at least handful of prime players to be had lol. I get your point though. At least we didn't draft Henry Ruggs.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They were pumping Becton to get rid of him anyway. Downside is no equity back to the Jets now.

moving on.

Jojo, twown, REVISion and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jedi mind tricks

Great you win the argument and we all lose as fans.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  9. Jedi mind tricks

If this is true they didn't seem to have a plan for moving on. I'm not even saying you're wrong this whole thing has been weird since he got here. I could see the Jets wanting to move on but they should have drafted a T at 4 or signed someone

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, pretty much everyone had us taking Becton. It's a bit of revisionist history, but Wirfs was playing RT in College. He was projected as a stud RT. Mekhi was projected as LT, and also had no injury history at the time. Jets main need was LT, hence everyone thought we would go LT: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-mcshay-peter-king/136qzh6q586qw1gi0sx0s83vs5

This clearly turned out to be a massive error.

Cman68, Jets79, HomeoftheJets and 3 others like this.
  11. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Just got a notification, he is feared to be out the entire season

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not going to second guess the pick of Becton at #11, in fact I was happy we got him, but I sure do second guess the failure to draft his replacement this past draft or sign one in FA. Whatever the reason for his injury taking longer to heal - it was more serious; he didn't work hard enough rehabbing; he was too heavy - the fact was that he wasn't going to come into TC ready to go. Again, I'm still a big JD supporter, but IDK WTF he was thinking then or now. I do know that he needs to get this OL fixed NOW!

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is correct, I would just add that Daniel Jeremiah loved Becton and it was no secret that JD and DJ had very similar draft philosophies due to working together previously.

I said this before but the Becton saga is Exhibit A of a GM not wanting to admit he whiffed on a pick, to the detriment of the team. JD did the same thing with keeping GVR for way too long for what I'm assuming is the same reason.

Lon Chaney, blackssmagic and Jets79 like this.
  14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Really unfortunate that he came into camp in great shape and had this injury.

Just think he’s got too much non-fat weight on him between his general skeleton and muscle.

FJF and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless by some miracle Becton's injury isn't that severe, going forward, we have to assume he isn't the answer and replace him. Maybe he ends up contributing (he's still on the rookie contract after all), but the expectation has to be that he won't.

16. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Not trying to be a dick, but I suspected that as well.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well given that they now say he'll miss a significant portion of the season I'd say his injury falls into the "severe" category. Anyone who was counting on Becton to be the answer at T for this team can now officially stop counting.

cval, KY Jets Fan, wewantsapp and 5 others like this.
  18. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Link?

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Wow. I really think that's it for him. Sad for him and for this team. What a shame. Would JD have picked Mekhi if it was the Saleh/LaFleur regime at the time? Kinda doubt it, but wpho knows, but if we're analyzing the past I think it's a fair albeit unanswerable query.

Duane Brown seems more likely but can he play RT? I'm telling you though, whether it's sooner or later, I think Max Mitchell will be their RT of the future

FJF and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's why I said "by some miracle." And agreed, the default assumption going forward has to be that he's a bust and we need to replace him.