Article: "He has the 'It' Factor"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Yes because that would be a huge leap from last year's disaster. And quite frankly, even though I liked the pick at the time, I'm a little bearish on Zach.

3400 20 td 15 int is what Taylor Heinicke put up last last. That's where I see Zach in year 2.

Noam likes this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree with you Lon. I liked the Zach pick but I am also bearish on him too. It is tough for a young QB to succeed on a bad team and until I see Zach play consistently well from within the structure of the offense getting the ball out quickly and on time I will continue to argue that odds of him succeeding are not great.

But in the alternative, we don't need a great improvement just progress, particularity in getting the ball out quickly and showing that his decision making clock has sped up. If he can play at the level he did the last 7 games without a healthy OL and skill players that likely will be good enough with his improved supporting cast. But, again being a Jets fan I will say I won't believe it until until I see him play consistently well game after game.

The important thing here is to have patience which is especially hard as a jet fan. Zach and the team are young. There will be a lot of growing pains this year and hopefully both will be playing at a high level by the end of the year.

cval and Lon Chaney like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they didn't draft Zach Wilson to play the checkdown QB. Not only did they already have a QB who could do that in Sam Darnold & Mike White, they coulda found others for peanuts to do the same. When you invest the no.2 overall pick in a QB, you need him to be better than a check down QB

FWIW he sucks as a checkdown QB, he misses the short stuff anyway

Lon Chaney likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have not had a lot of talent at QB. The talent they have had was flawed. The young guys have all been rushed onto the field early.

Basically the Jets do all the things you'd expect a bad team with QB problems to do and the results are what you'd expect.

This is *all* self-inflicted. We've had about 15 years of playing silly games and winning silly prizes.

Also, he did not play nearly flawlessly after he came back. He just stopped throwing useless picks. His completion percentage and YPA went down also after he came back from the injury.

#24 Br4d, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wonder if this thread can get up to 50 or 60 pages of useless back and forth like all the other Zach Wilson threads have achieved? Then we'd know for sure whether Zach will succeed or not.:rolleyes:

KY Jets Fan, RonPi, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

17 games with those numbers would make for a long season featuring a boring offense.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. Lon Chaney

You expect more?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  8. Lon Chaney

Let's talk about Bectons weight?

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes technically they weren't checkdowns. Dumpoffs would have been a better word choice. My point still stands.

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

We figured out Schotty, CC. It takes a many-paged village.

ColoradoContrails and abyzmul like this.
  11. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

What's the difference between a dumpoff and a checkdown?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yes, I do.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What I'm saying is Wilson was throwing short pass after short pass that had no chance of being intercepted but were also holding the offense back. So while it wasn't like him having an open receiver downfield and incorrectly checking it down, it was still him operating with a giant pair of training wheels that LaFleur put on him so he wouldn't keep turning the ball over. It worked in that sense, but he can't do that this season and deservedly keep the starting job.

#33 HomeoftheJets, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Do you have film to back this up or is that your perception? Zach was checking the ball down to avoid pics because ML put training wheels on him.

Zach gets criticized for not checking down enough then gets criticized for checking down to much? Yeah but you don't have an agenda.

The kid can't win with this crowd. You know what was wrong with Zach last season? He was a rookie going through rookie growing pains. Not only that but his o-line struggled his starting receivers were young and injured. Throw game changing drops on top of that and you get what you get. Let's not forget our great defense.

People act like when Zach was out we went on this incredible winning streak. This was not the case. We won one game in Zach's absence and it took a hall of Fame performance and lucky play by the defense.

Zach played as expected last season with what he had to work with. The plan was for Zach to grow by playing. We certainly showed we could not win without him.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A safe play designed for the receiver to get YAC vs a short toss because you're not finding the receiver down field....

#35 stinkyB, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yep. And what good is that strong arm he got drafted so high for, that he showed off in shorts and a T-shirt, if he can't be trusted to use it in a game?

17. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

So you were not one of the "suck for Sam" contingent I assume, right? I agree to a point about poor drafting, that much is obvious, now all of a sudden Sam Darnold was a "shitty player"? All I am saying is imagine what Darnold could have been had he not been subjected to Boring Bowles and dumbass Gase, arguably 2 of the worst HC's in NFL history.

18. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

This is the first i could think of. His talent was on display through the year. I remember plenty on the money bombs that were drops as well. This year could be exciting

19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Absolutely

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Bowles gets a bad rap around here. He was far from the worst HC's in NFL history.

I was all for Sam until he proved that he sucked. Just as I am all in on Zach until he proves he sucks. This team did not ruin Sam, they did not put him in the best situation but they did not ruin him. When I imagine what Darnold "Could have been" I see the same QB in NC as I did in NY. Sam is what he is it seems.

Jets81, JETFUEL1580 and Noam like this.