FA OT Duane Brown Signs with Jets.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Aug 6, 2022.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Could be a decent addition for this season and would at least give us a serviceable swing OT this year.

Thoughts?

2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Great news that he's visiting and could be great insurance. Hopefully he signs and never sees the field.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Kwon and Brown... Yeah, JD is filling in the areas we were worried about, and not overpaying out of desperation to do it. Now let's see about a DT...

jaywayne12, themorey and KY Jets Fan like this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

37 years old, drafted in 2008 made the pro bowl last year, PFF ranked him as the 30th best tackle his worst ranking of his career, never played RT.

Sounds like he would be great depth. If Becton gets hurt and Brown has problems going to RT Fant could move to RT.

The question is how much? Will it be a Moses 2021 type 3 to 4 million deal with incentives for playing time? Could be a great role model for our young tackles. I assume Fant played with him and Saleh knows him from his time in Seattle.

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This hopefully gets done this weekend. Would be the perfect depth addition.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yeah, the more I looked into it, the more I don’t think he’d be a swing OT. He’d be the backup LT.

If Fant gets hurt, Brown slides in at LT.

If Becton gets hurt, Fant slides to RT and Brown slides into LT.

Either way, I like both of those scenarios a lot more than relying on Max Mitchell, Edoga, or McDermott to play any meaningful snaps this year.

Hopefully JD can get this one done.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets should sort out an option from among the young guys on the roster. It's not like they're lacking in options.

8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Yes, they are

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

We don’t have a third OT amongst anyone. Mitchell and the guy we picked up from the Eagles are not tackles or capable of backing up either guy. This signing or someone like this is an absolute must. If we do away go. I don’t see any weaknesses on this team if everyone performs to expectations

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Excellent first move by JD. Hope we sign him

jaywayne12 and Noam like this.
  11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

apparently he was on the sideline of the scrimmage talking to woody, jd, saleh and others. seems like something is going to get done soon.

LAJet likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Still there. This sounds like it’s going to happen.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think Brown signing with the Jets would be big. It obviously helps the OL depth, but it also would mean outside players believe the Jets are on the right track and can win. Otherwise, I don't think he would have interest.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What happened to Max Mitchell? I haven't heard much about him, other than he's good at pumping up the crowd.

Jojo likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

don’t know, but I don’t like the idea of relying on a fourth round pick to play meaningful snaps if someone goes down … not crazy about our tackle depth and it’s the one thing I was concerned about after the draft…

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The jets don't need MORE depth behind their two starters at OT, they need SOME. Right now they don't have any. Sign Brown but ONLY IF he is in decent shape.
    Douglas brought Ryan Kahil out of retirement for about $8M in 2019 and he absolutely stunk.

Acad23 likes this.
  17. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

even tho he did stink hard to fault him for that move and trying to get some bodies there with a former decent player. He just didn’t have anything in the tank left. Hopefully since Brown was still good last year at 36 and had a good year, he’s got something left

ColoradoContrails, Borat and FJF like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely. He took a desperation shot to fix the absolute POS OL left by his incompetent predecessors,after free agency and the draft, where all he had was a last minute reach to help a putrid situation.Since then he has, far and away, instilled a much needed emphasis on creating a strong OL more so than anyone since the great drafting days of Mangold and Nick. Kalih was a calculated high risk move as we entered preseason with swiss cheese up front.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Well... it's great to be in "team build" mode rather than "talent strip" mode.

Maybe Woody & Co. finally decided to let football people make football decisions.
    I do like the way the Jets are going about this... high character coaches & players and addressing areas of weakness on the field.

Seems different from previous regimes... like we're setting up for long term success... unlike '09/'10 for example.

Now it's got to bear fruit in the win column... and there's the rub. We have to wash away the Jet stench and learn to win.

I wish I would have saved the Tampa game from last season on my dvr... that game exemplified the leap we need to make
    to not be an automatic win for opponents.

Jets79, REVISion, LAJet and 3 others like this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You know folk are struggling with it all when they have to go back to 2019 to slag JD off, desperate stuff.