Cut/Extend Mike White?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ROCCO, Aug 3, 2022.

1. ROCCO

ROCCO Active Member

I read a story yesterday on how Mike White's tenure with the Jets could be coming to a close https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/07/31/ny-jets-mike-white-days-coming-end/ with the thinking being that with a veteran in Flacco as the #2 White might be considered a luxury the Jets cannot afford in the way of cutting a player who could help in other areas. While I think the website that printed this story provides top-shelf Jets coverage I cannot disagree with this contention more strongly. White is an intriguing player who showed last season that he could be morphing into a quality NFL QB. I'll say this, if given the choice between White and Flacco, I'm taking White at this point without thinking about it. White has much to prove but his upside exceeds that of Flacco. Thoughts?

Spelled "White" wrong in the headline, apologies...

jackie1013 and egelband like this.
  2. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

We have a really strong backup QB situation with Flacco and White. If you're going to carry 3, then these are the guys. But if you're only going to carry 2, Flacco is the better backup for now, and he is in a much better position to mentor Zach. However, I wouldn't cut White -- if you only want 2, then let White get the bulk of reps during the preseason to show him off and then wait for the right opportunity to trade him. In the first few weeks of the season, someone will end up with an injured QB and be desperate for a decent option, and Mike White is a really good backup plan for someone out there. JD knows how to get good value for a trade.

I'd like to see us trade White and McDermott and use the cap space to upgrade McDermott.

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

he's intriguing... if something/someone can be gotten that has impact NOW... i can see a trade... i'll follow his career either way

cval likes this.
  4. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Trading or cutting White would be a same-old-jets move. He'll go somewhere else as a backup and wind up throwing for 4000 yards when the starter gets hurt. The only reason you would cut White would be if you were so uncertain about Wilson that you were worried people would be calling for White to start after a few games; that's not White's fault, that's the front office and coaching staff's fault.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The article does make a few good points. Mike White had the lowest average depth per target last year and the highest interception rate in the NFL. Consider also that games White played last year were pretty much the only games last year that Carter and Moore were healthy and able to play at a high level and the only time the OL was healthy and somewhat intact as the OL and the 2 rookies both had a learning curve to start the season missing the pre-season and learning a new system. The second argument the article makes is White will be a FA next year and he can leave if he wants. Is it really worth carrying a 3rd QB and cutting what might might be a very good player? Those are valid questions.

cval likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I like Mike White but it does not make any sense to me to carry Three Qbs. Either he or Flacco has to go and I do not think Flacco is going anywhere. I would try to trade him but Joe D has time he does not or should not do anything right away.

Noam likes this.
  8. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

indeed, he shouldn't RUSH HIMSELF, but if an GOOD opportunity presents itself quickly,
    he should act quickly as well. imho

cval likes this.
  9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Which is my point. He can wait for the right opportunity.

Losmeister likes this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Saleh talked up Flacco a lot today, calling him a starter in this league. And it does sound like he's had a great camp. If JD got a 6th for Blake Cashman, Flacco could yield at least a 3rd... (mostly kidding)

I think it would be hard to keep all three ultimately and I'd think Mike White would want a chance to be a backup anyway, but would love to find a way to keep him on the PS

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Mike White gets cut, the Bengals should pick him up ASAP to protect themselves! :cool:

KY Jets Fan, stinkyB and cval like this.
  12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You did Waht?

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

SOJ 2024 worst case scenario: Zach Wilson a free agent with low demand. Joe Flacco retired. Mike White leading ______________ to a Conference Championship.

14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

My gosh would that be frustrating. Whatever happens.... lets not let it be that.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well, he needs to get back the 5th we had to use to get him back the last time.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If the JETS werent coming off years of losing and were considered a legit contender, then Flacco is the no brainer. To me he looks like he's going through the motions to keep collecting a NFL paycheck.
    If they were to move on from White, it better be by trade as someone said. The guy was a later round developmental prospect... who looked great one game, and shitty the next which is to be expected.... it's not like Zach has solidified himself as a franchise QB

Ralebird likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

While Coach Saleh may love to trade White for a starter, Joe Douglas is saying "Um...Flacco is probably gone into the sunset after this season. Then what?"

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Then they get another back up, do you think White is going to sit around rejecting offers from other teams in the off season hoping the Jets make an offer?

I understand there was not much to get excited about last season but people act like he came in, won all the games he started while throwing 20 TDs and no INTs. Besides the one game he had an 0-2 record, 2 TDs and 6 INTs, completions under 59%. If they can get a draft pick for him then they should jump on it.

SOJAZ and KingRoach like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They should trade Flacco not White

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I like Mike '400 yds. vs. Cincy' White however, Flacco's (relatively speaking) 'only 37' and has a slew of NFL starts under his belt including a SB win (game MVP) and unlike Mike White was a noted (big arm) talent coming out of college.