Official 2022 Jets Training Camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 17, 2022.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I think you should relax on the conclusions and long term concerns a week into camp. Seems like you want to find reasons to write Zach off, especially with the previous post about him being Tim Couch or something.. Let it play out a little more guy.

#381 JackBower, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Just to add some context to this whole CS/Zach’s growth debate…

From my viewpoint, seems like the CS has already seen growth in Zach’s play and believe it’s only a matter of time before all of us see that as well.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I hadn't posted about Wilson in weeks, except to say it looked like he had some good learning moments last Thursday? Never compared him to Couch either.

Its not unfair or unrealistic to point out that the HC and OC had different timelines for when they thought Zach might show improvement - or that there is nothing shown to hang our hat on yet. No need to tell me to let it play out. I've always been a wait and see guy. When the time comes if Zach plays well I'll cheer, in not, I'll grumble.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

From my viewpoint the spin doctoring is already at mid-season form. What else would these guys be saying at this point, especially with "positive vibes only" being the new slogan. I see Saleh is still wearing last year's "All gas no brakes" shirt - how did that work out?

#384 Ralebird, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Lon Chaney likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't get the concern of a ball in the dirt thrown to a back. I have seen Tom Brady dirt balls thrown to backs in playoff games.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure if the coaches and this message board remain positive, that it will translate into at least 3 more wins.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

reaching North Carolinian elevations

abyzmul likes this.
  8. Ralebird

"You don't know anything about football."

9. abyzmul

That's okay. I'll just use my biting wit to scare away all of the heavy hitters. BAM!

Ralebird likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There were a couple last practice I believe, where he had two would be sacks. Not that it means much at this point.

Noam likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Wonder what D.J. Reed's pick-six take on Zach was 100 yards later?..

[​IMG]

Ralebird likes this.
  12. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time understanding where this idea that Zach has to show improvement in the first week of camp. I don't expect to see anything from anybody in camp except shaking off the rust for the first half, then in the second half *in some actual games in preaseason* I might be able to judge a little if Zach has improved. Opposing teams know his weaknesses from last year so they will target them again in preseason to see if he can handle them, then we might know something. But I expect to see, if he really has ability, gradual improvement throughout the season. Don't you?

Lon Chaney likes this.
  13. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

The concern is Wilson consistently missed wide open short throws into the dirt last season and a lot of us hoped this would be one of the first things he cleaned up this year. It's actually a big worry for me now.

Sidenote: I admit I haven't read every post in this thread but I haven't heard a peep about Jermaine Johnson anywhere. Any news/tidbits on him? Media was hyping up our 3 1st rd picks now all I hear about are Sauce and G. Wilson

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I find it hard to get excited about comments like these. If you're a coach or coordinator and a reporter asks about your young QB's progress, what can you say other than something encouraging? Even if they hadn't seen any progress they'd never say that publicly.

When there's only one reasonable answer a media-savvy coach can give then how valuable is that answer? Not very I don't think.

Not saying Zach hasn't shown progress, just that I don't think these comments are necessarily proof of it. We will need to see it on the field.

15. Ralebird

The idea is probably coming from that group here that has the Jets winning half their games and getting into the playoffs as Zach Wilson moves to the top half of the league in quarterback performance. The guys who post things about some massive improvement he allegedly made the end of last season and that the personnel changes made in the offseason have put the Jets past that tipping point towards success before anyone showed what they could do on an NFL field. Kind of exactly like those who said the same things a year ago.

RonPi likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Oh shit, really?

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The first real test will come on September 11 against Baltimore.

KY Jets Fan and cval like this.
  18. abyzmul

Yeah, his short touch is something that was a big issue, but this is the errant pass that you want him throwing. Not the back corner fade that gets taken 100 yards to the house.

I've read the beat guys saying it's nearly impossible to get a read on the rushers without pads, so I took that as they weren't really looking that hard at them. He might have had moments that they missed, but you do want to hear more about him. Even Bryce Huff got some run.

KY Jets Fan and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with this completely. Last sentence especially. But those expectations IMO are not as much coming from people that expect improvement, or those expecting a large improvement, but rather those that since day one proclaimed Wilson a failure, and they are happy to confirm it at every opportunity. Much as the year of bitching and moaning about Becton and his weight. This season should tell us plenty as to where Wilson future lies, as well as Becton for that matter. The rest is noise

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Nope it is clear that after one day in pads Zach is a bust.