Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 28, 2017.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I saw a trailer for that while waiting for top gun to start, I thought is that a village of the damned ripoff.

Is it any good then?

2. K'OB

1:30

is the best part of that trailer

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Not a big Stephen King guy but Storm of the Century was pretty creepy.

K'OB likes this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

TCM played Plan 9 For Outer Space the other day. . So bad it was good.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yep. Pretty good so far. Definitely got the creepy vibes down. I've still got 2 or 3 episodes to go though. The wife said to me this reminds me of that Day of the Triffids things that scared me to death on TV when I was a kid. I had to tell that the original novels were written by the same bloke.

K'OB likes this.
  6. K'OB

Don't rewatch day of the triffids ie the BBC version, I did through lockdown and it was utter garbage, how the hell it terrified me as a child is anybody's guess

[​IMG] :D:D:D

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

You and everyone else of a similar age I think. Stuff like that rarely ages well. I rewatched Blake's 7 over lockdown, well, a couple of episodes anyway. Couldn't be bothered after that. Same with UFO.

K'OB likes this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I watched a 2021 Jets highlight film as was absolutely terrified.

westiedog1 and K'OB like this.
  9. K'OB

I remember Blake's seven lol

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: I might have posted on this thread already because I'm a big SciFi/Horror fan.

I like movies in which it takes them 1/3 of the film to figure out WTF is going on. With that in mind, here is my list:

Them
    The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
    The Thing (from another world)
    Forbidden Planet
    War of the Worlds
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    The Crawling Eye
    Journey to the Center of the Earth
    The Time Machine
    Rodan
    Fantastic Voyage
    The Andromeda Strain
    Jaws

I could probably come up with a lot more but I'll stop here around 1975.

13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

14. K'OB

Ended about 30 years ago for me tbh :D

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I saw an indie a couple of years ago called 'The Clovehitch Killer' with Dylan McDermott, Charlie Plummer, and Samantha Mathis. In a way it's more of a thriller, but I put it in the horror category because stuff that really does happen scares the hell out of me.

It was on again recently and I liked it better the second time around. I never thought much of Dylan McDermott's acting chops, but he does a great turn here which really surprised me. I hated him so much in this movie, which pretty much means he was very effective.

It's very loosely based on BTK. Small town Church going Eagle Scout thinks his well-respected squeaky clean image father is a serial killer. And he is. Now I'm not really giving anything away with that because you're in on it for the whole ride. I'm a big independent film fan, and it's definitely worth the watch.

16. K'OB

I watched this last year sometime and enjoyed it

17. jetophile

'The Changed'. The John Carpenter influence is palpable, but I liked it a hell of a lot more than I thought I was going to. Nice little indie flick, bodysnatchers paranoia mixed with heavy handed metaphor but it's good creepy well done fun. It's not a slow burn, they just jump right on into it that there's something wrong with the neighbors. The population. All of us . . . except pockets of the few. Recommended for a rainy night alone. :eek:

K'OB likes this.
  18. jetophile

'St. Maud'. The last 10 minutes, Holy Crap on ice. I shivered and shuddered from head to toe. No lie.

19. jetophile

'The Wind'. Long live independent film! See it for the main character's acting alone. Caitlyn Gerard, I never even heard of this woman, she was absolutely outstanding aside from the fact that she physically fit the part. Tall, wiry, resourceful, strong, stark, beautiful, but hard around the edges.

The Homestead Act of the 1860s, go West young man and all that. There's a traveling preacher who wanders around out there in no man's land handing out Bibles (well, what else), but also self-printed pamphlets listing all the demons and their specific attributes and assignments. Beware out there, keep God close kind of thing.

That pamphlet plants a lot of seeds. The relentlessly howling prairie, the isolation, it played with people's minds. "Prairie Madness", it was a thing, much like Cabin Fever, only it was a seemingly endless wide open space with nowhere to run. To quote Blair from 'The Thing', "I hear funny things out here, funny things!"

It's not for everyone. What I consider a slow burn others might consider plodding. l loved it. It was part post-partem psychosis, part paranoia, part survivalist. Highly recommend. Even if Westerns is your thing and not horror, give it a whirl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but one of the creepiest movies I have ever seen is "Life" 2017, with Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson, et al. This movie has an "Aliens" type plot that takes place on a future ISS, so the atmosphere is even more claustrophobic. However, it's the ending that really socks it to you, which leaves the viewer to ponder what the consequences will be. While I like to see good scifi/horror over and over, this movie creeps me out to the point I'm not anxious to see it again.

#380 westiedog1, Apr 4, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023