Becton Looks Great

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jul 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Actually, the BS section of this forum is supposed to not be political. On all subforums, as in life, I much prefer civil discussion to any talk or threats of weapons of any kind.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I believe there’s a whole lot of room between doing everything in your power to bounce back and being lazy.

Just like there’s a wide distance between being confident and being concerned. I’m not confident, but I’m certainly not concerned.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I’ve never been to the BS section, I just saw a post where you mentioned something about politics on here and presumed you would recognize that quote as it was said fairly recently. The quote when it was given was solely pertaining to talking behind ppls backs. I solely referenced it to let you know that it would be much more clear if I legitimately mocking/insulting you.

4. Stevied

So someone who isn’t doing everything in their power or what’s required to comeback would
    be called what?

5. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

The staff has been pretty blunt in making it clear that they wished Becton was at OTAs and that his weight was not where they wanted. They know how to make it clear when there's something worth making clear.

Noam likes this.
  6. Stevied

And to me, added with everything else, they have. Guess you and I just see it differently.

7. Ralebird

I don't remember anything about talking behind someone's back in the other forum; feel free to look it up if it's important to you. It's not anything I care about.

I just don't understand why in responding to me you mentioned a reporter making something up or googling for a timeframe when I spoke to neither.

8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

An average human

Ralebird likes this.
  9. Stevied

Thats right, you didn’t, and I didn’t say you did. I said I saw you mention something about posting something pertaining to politics, that’s why I referenced the quote. Because I thought you might recognize it, and be familiar with its context.

I referenced 3 explanations, to see if any of them were explanations you thought might hold water.

10. Ralebird

Do you have a point to all of this? You did ask me how I consider reporting and I responded to you. Perhaps you might answer the same question.

Two of the things you mentioned I had not commented on; the third was "etc." Maybe that trifecta should have been directed at those who had mentioned them.

11. Stevied

Sure, I’d be happy to. Like most people, I’d prefer to see it myself, talk to the person directly, be in the room, so on and so fourth. But that’s not likely to happen. So plan B is I evaluate the reporter based on what they’ve said previously, if it makes sense to me logically/what I’ve seen relating to it, and if it’s more or less signed off by other folks.

Again, I didn’t say you did, and I didn’t mean to give you the impression I said you had nor did I want to limit your responses to those. They were just a few examples I thought of him my head, but the question was meant to be open-ended.

12. Ralebird

So, to get directly to the point of contention, do you believe there was a definite timeframe when Becton was supposed to be recovered from his knee injury and on what did or do you base those beliefs?

13. Stevied

I can’t remember if they said 4–6 or 4-8, and I know the word, “expected” preceded whatever it was.

Give or take a few weeks, and barring another report that came out disputing it, I chose to believe what I read/heard from folks who cover the team and the team itself. Why wouldn’t I right? They’re there and I’m not. If I saw a similar amount of reports with different information I bought, I would (will) change my mind.

14. Ralebird

I asked someone else earlier, maybe you'll answer - have you ever heard of a doctor giving a recovery prognosis timeline before having seen how much damage there was to an organ, joint or other body part? And did you ever at any point in the past ten months see a report that was attributed to a doctor at all, even unnamed, or did you just assume that was the process before putting out a Tweet? Did you ever see any of those who made early claims, even with disclaimers like "expected" and "minimum," update or repeat their claims?

In the absence of any of that it appears from what you say here that you read something that originated between the time of the injury and the time of the surgery and have not wavered from those timelines since the middle of September. You ask why wouldn't you? The best answer is to look at the calendar; you, not Becton, are eight months late.

15. Stevied

I actually have, remember the Brees San Diego shoulder injury? ESPN the magazine had an article that said Dr. Andrews did just that. Obviously he ran an MRI afterwords to confirm everything and plan it afterwords.
    My own surgeon outlined I believe 3 levels of Labrum tears and the typical length of recover each tear has, provided that’s what the MRI showed.
    But absent of that? I haven’t knowingly, but I’m not sure I would. I also haven’t knowingly heard of too many instances over the years, be it directly attributed or otherwise, where the original diagnoses have changed in any big way pertaining to original diagnoses/reports. From my perspective, it happens, but it’s far the minority than the majority.

I don’t believe (or can’t recall) I saw any reports directly referring to a doctor, however given past history of those who reported the injury related news, I don’t question those who were reporting that, were deriving that info from what NYJ management and/or team told them.

And I have seen folks say and imply that their original reporting was right pertaining to the timeframe provided. The only thing contrary I’ve seen was from Becton’s trainer (which came in April), who didn’t cite anything other than his opinion. I’m of the belief that if the original diagnosis was incorrect, a corrected diagnosis would have been relayed to us. Hence, I’m of the belief that if it was off, it wasn’t by anything significant.

You’re right on the extra 8 month part, where we differ is what’s causing that delay.

#95 Stevied, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  16. Ralebird

I think you have to understand the difference between a diagnosis and a prognosis - they're kind of like the difference between a weather report and a weather forecast. The report, or diagnosis states what has happened and the forecast or prognosis predicts what will happen in the future. Sometimes it's not clear what has actually happened until further examination can take place; Xrays and MRIs are pretty good but in the case of unknown collateral damage the surgeon wants to get inside and see for himself. I've never seen any statement from anyone regarding what that looked like.

I don't believe that less than 24 hours after the injury any doctor had the time to diagnose the injury and predict the outcome with complete accuracy and communicate that to Schefter. What I believe happened was he ran with the best information he had and put in a disclaimer that was widely ignored and continues to be to this day. Of course, we never saw anything from any doctor that confirmed anything claimed by Schefter or Rapoport and Schefters announcement of when the surgery would take place was off by a day or two. His accuracy is less than 100%.

Obviously the two month recovery forecast was wrong because now it is ten; I'm not at all surprised that Schefter and others have not called themselves out on their incorrect expectations and claims. I don't know why you think we differ on what has caused the lengthy recovery because I haven't opined on that at all and don't have anything at all of substance upon which to hazard a guess. I don't believe anyone in the general public does.

17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Round...

Like a circle in a spiral,
    Like a wheel within a wheel.
    Never ending or beginning,
    On an ever-spinning reel.
    Like a snowball down a mountain, or a carnival balloon.
    Like a carousel that's turning running rings around the moon.
    Like a clock whose hands are sweeping past the minutes of its face.
    And the world is like an apple whirling silently in space.
    Like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind...

Acad23, Lon Chaney and MoWilkBeast like this.
  18. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

"I told you so" = "Ain't nobody gonna block me"

19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I seem to remember it as 'Can't nobody block me', which sounds more like a question and the answer, as it turned out, was 'yes, quite a few people can.'

HackettSuxTNG likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We're acknowledging that the 4-8 week thing was a rough timeline, and that it may have reasonably been longer. What we're questioning is why he's still not practicing 40 weeks later, when his knee is 100% now by all accounts.

I think the answer to that is pretty obviously his weight, which some people still want to inexplicably bury their heads in the sand about. We have Mogriff running around here saying "Becton is 370 and has been for some time." meanwhile we've had 4-5 different beat reporters and Becton's own nutritionist say he's around 400 lbs.

Sorry but it's just not excusable to still be that heavy this far removed from the injury. He's paid millions of dollars per year partly to stay in shape, and he's shown a repeated inability to do it. By all accounts he's been overweight since the end of his rookie year (disciplined by the team for it then, showed up to the next training camp overweight, got hurt and gained even more weight...).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.