Jets can OPT OUT of lease at the big air conditioner after 2024

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ROCCO, May 26, 2022.

1. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Don't drink and drive

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The main thing is easy access to elevator service. Yankee Stadium elevators are fantastic. Citi Field's are almost as good. Yet the stadium that needs them the most because of it's height is severely lacking in that area. We know which stadium that is.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No worries - there's three hours of Jets football ahead to help you sleep off your pregaming.

Brook!, AndyDrums and Cman68 like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It is still a tourist attraction of course, it is NYC after all, although as you noted yourself 18% more visits before than is expected this year, probably due sadly to rising crime. However, we are not talking about tourists in this case, but mostly local folks and occasional visitors coming specifically to the game. And one thing is valid: it is much harder and more expensive to get in and out of NYC than it is from much less dense East Rutherford.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

and yet the stadium is still empty from late october - january

papapump, Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
  6. Ralebird

Probably due sadly to lingering Covid complications and inflation. The upward trend of increased tourism will not be ending anytime soon because there's no reason for it; not enough people share the irrational fear some like to claim exists.

You seem to be under the impression that anyone going to a Jets game is coming from New Jersey. City dwellers and visitors can easily get to Flushing Meadows with a Metrocard; Long Islanders and many from points north with only gas money. And when they all do they're not in (shudder) East Rutherford. Maybe that's why Connecticut, Westchester and Long Island residents and those city dwellers don't go to Jets games like they used to.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

More of the other teams fans using the tickets they can get easily on the secondary market.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Getting inside the stadium is an absolute nightmare.

We've tried going in 40 minutes early and still missed the kick off.

9. kulce93

kulce93 New Member

I see the Jets and Giants both getting together to renovate the stadium, spruce it up a bit and improve the gameday atmosphere. I can see them cutting down on seats (82,500 is way too much) maybe add some overhangs and drop the capacity to somewhere between 70,000-75,000.

Would love to see our own place, but I don't feel it will happen. They're pretty well entrenched in NJ now with their practice facility. We'd be hearing a lot more noise from the Jets regarding PR if they were thinking of building a new place somewhere.

I look around at some of the other newish stadiums, Cowboys, VIkings, Atlanta, Raiders, Rams/Chargers and wish it was us. But it'll never be us. Still it's better than Giants Stadium. And calling it JetLife antagonizes Giants fans (which I try to do as often as possible)

Ptflea2 likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There are still 72K who are trying to get in. In NYC if you leave 40 mins early, not only will you be late for kick-off, good luck getting there by halftime. You need to allocate more time than that to come to Broadway show with a few hundred seats, you can forget about 80K stadium.

#111 Borat, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    GQMartin likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Could be a combination of Covid, inflation, and rising crime too. All are facts. 72K is still a lot of people that come to the games, given Jets sucked. Will be packed I hope this year when we start winning. Understandably if you are coming from NY, NYC is easier, but all things being equal, there is a lot more traffic and higher costs in NYC vs NJ. If you think that lukewarm hot dog is expensive and the traffic sucks to East Rutherford, you are in for a shocker if the Jets ever move to NYC.

12. Ralebird

Does "rising crime" really cause you to alter your activities or is it just something you're using to slam New York? Has the crime level in the state of New Jersey secretly declined recently? I don't see a larger increase in either traffic or costs in New York City than in that part of the metropolitan area that is in New Jersey - can you point at anything in particular? Did you ever go to a Jets game at Shea? Have you ever been to Citifield or is all this a product of your imagination?

13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Here is my tip that I've used many times in the past (but not needed to do so recently as I haven't had issues getting in due to people waiting until the last min to leave tailgates)...

I go in through the luxury box section, they don't care if you're going to luxury boxes or not as long as you have a ticket they'll let you in and the lines are WAY smaller..

GQMartin and BrowningNagle like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to offend you - someone else brought up crime, and I just said it is a possible explanation for fewer people wanting to come in along with covid and inflation. My point was merely that suburban East Rutherford is a better place for a large stadium than NYC, because of lower costs, space, and traffic. I will chalk up your disagreement to your love for NYC, however, common sense needs to prevail at the end. Which is why I gave some links showing that NYC is the worse in traffic, food costs, transportation costs, and yes crime than East Rutherford (East Rutherford is actually much cheaper than New Brunswick, which is in the link). These are the facts and common sense. Moving the stadium to NYC just doesn't make sense for all these reasons. Not to mention building in NYC is pretty expensive as well - hopefully you are not going to ask for NYC real estate index, and just take my word for it.

https://www.homesnacks.com/nj/east-rutherford-crime/
    https://www.homesnacks.com/ny/new-york/
    https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...-to-drive-in-study-reveals-wallethub/1990451/
    https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/new-york-ny/new-brunswick-nj/100000

15. Ralebird

I think we've gone way farther than needed here, especially when you feel that comparing East Rutherford, New Jersey, population 9,700, 4 square miles to the entirety of New York City, population 8.4 million, 300+ square miles is somehow appropriate.

Flushing Meadows was a great place to see a Jets game; it is now a great place to see a baseball game, as it was then and I'm told tennis fans like it as well since I've heard of no plans to move the country's premier tennis event elsewhere. And no one ever needed to compare it to New Brunswick.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Of course we are comparing East Rutherford to NYC, that's the whole point: NYC is much more congested and expensive, higher real estate costs and crime (even per capita), compared to suburbs, where the stadium is now. You are the one who challenged the obvious for some reason, but I am glad we are on the same page now.

Not slamming NYC, I like to come there once in a while myself, not saying tennis tournament needs to move, just that the Jets are better off where they are now vs moving to NYC. If we disagree on this, that's fine, but I believe above conclusion is without a doubt accurate for the reasons identified, which I supported with data.

bicketybam likes this.
  17. Ralebird

"Where the stadium is now," is a partially reclaimed swamp. There is a much larger variety of swamps available in New York City. For those who are into swamps, there's something for everybody in New York City and they blow the East Rutherford swamp away.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

With everything more expensive with more traffic and crime, we just covered it. The stadium is just fine where it is. 72K are coming every game, and there will be more when the Jets are actually good, hopefully this year. There is no need to pay through the roof to downgrade by moving to NYC.

#119 Borat, Jul 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's a whopping 5 miles away, Lets not act like its in some far away utopia compared to NYC. You go through a tunnel and you are there

The stadium sucks for many reasons though beyond location. Its just simply outdated. The days of building oversized concrete bowls is over. It was over when they built the damn thing.