Robert Saleh on Rich Eisen Show

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 20, 2022.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The rush to fire a coaching staff when we are in the middle of a rebuild... the rush to start over again with a new staff that has different schemes and needs different personnel... the rush to do exactly the same thing as we have been doing for as long as I can remember...

Good luck with that.

2. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

This forum has lost it. Why is anybody talking about firing a coach before the season has even started, never mind played out.

The schedule is a huge problem. I thought 4 win teams would get it soft. Not us.

we are young, games will be blown through inexperience.

let’s see how things evolve as the season progresses.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nobody's talking about firing a coach before the season, they're just measuring how much rope he's going to get.

REVISion and KingRoach like this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It's rare that NFL coaches get fired mid season so I would think Saleh has a season's worth of rope.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Saleh ain't getting fired anytime soon.
    He's steady and good with the media... and management likes that.

As long as the win % improves year-to-year... he'll be our Weeb.

Noam likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Saleh's rope has at least one scapegoat firing in it before he could find the hot seat, assuming this season is a disaster of some kind. 2023 at the earliest

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It is pretty rare that a coach does not get 3 years. One has to be as bad as Gase to get fired after 2 years. Which means bad on the field and bad off the field. Saleh is not going anywhere until at least after the 2023 season.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Saleh is easy to root for. I hope he learns and grows as HC.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Barring a complete collapse... I think he'll be the coach for quite a few years past '23.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That may be true, but does that mean that most teams do the right thing by giving most coaches 3+ years?

I would say no. It's usually pretty clear after 2 years whether a guy is a good coach or not. The best coaches often completely turn teams around within 2 years. If the team is bad again next year I don't want us to hang onto Saleh just because he's good with the media.

If we look at the facts of last season - Saleh took a defense that was average the previous year and produced the worst defense in franchise history with it. One might argue that was more Ulbrich's fault than Saleh's, but who made Ulbrich the DC?

The best thing Saleh has done so far was to make LaFleur the OC. We should honestly make LaFleur our HC if the offense performs well enough next year, otherwise we're almost certainly going to lose him to another team given his name recognition and association with other top HCs.

HomeoftheJets and Acad23 like this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

@REVISion ... I think you're on to something in saying that a shit defense might well be if Salehs downfall.
    ... but I think he'll finish out his 5 year contract at least.

Even Rex got that much time... :confused:

12. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Agreed with this opinion. Saleh just looks like a football coach, I also love his energy and his players especially on the defensive side appreciate and play hard for him as well. He can get better and I hope he does.

KingRoach likes this.
  13. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Unless we Adam gase/Rex Ryan fall apart, I can't see this whole regime not getting 3 years.

Last year felt like reset
    This upcoming year feels like growth and I hope that translates into a 12 win team by year three.

On paper the only 'weaker D position' might be safety. The rest got talent added/developmental growth.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It’s a simple scenario. If the Jets finish last place again, you simply can’t bring back Joe Douglas.

So they start fresh, can Douglas & Saleh.

Maybe do it right for once and hire an experienced GM and let him pick his own guy

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If only Acad was half as funny as you…

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sorry but I feel like this is everything wrong with how to judge a coach. It's all surface-level. He just looks like a coach and has good energy? Those are the easiest parts to fake in any job. They aren't bad things, but I don't think they really give us any indication of how good/smart a coach someone is. Most people who aren't Adam Gase realize that being likable and outgoing will help you be a good coach, but they're far from the main things that make someone a good coach.

A good coach is good at preparing for opponents and at managing important strategic decisions during the heat of games. Those are both things that Saleh was noticeably bad at last year. Remember how often it felt like the game had already gotten away from us in the first or second quarter? We got blown out with insane frequency and finished the year with the worst defense in franchise history. Does it matter how hard the players on defense play if that's the ultimate result?

Ralebird likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

But... but... he's got great slogans!

REVISion likes this.
  18. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Well two things about my original post and I don't disagree with anything you said. When I said he looks like a football coach it's a guy who is passionate and engaged with the process. For a young unproven coach IMO, that's very important. It's not the main thing but like you mention from a service level I do appreciate it. Where as someone like Adam Gase came off awkward, a guy who clearly feel in love with his on persona as an offensive genius, and a guy nobody liked or wanted to play for. It was painful as fan losing and watching that dofus roam the sideline as a fan. Again it's not the main thing but from a visual standpoint it does enhance my dislike as a viewer. You can prepare guys all you want, but in those heat of the moment times can you get the most out of them as well. Simple plays here and there can make a game or an outcome.

Secondly, I did mention that he can get better and that I hope he does so we don't have any disagreements about preparation and strategy. He showed really nothing last year, but I'll cut him some slack considering he's a first time head coach and his coordinators are raw as well. That won't be the case this year after 17 games and our free agent/draft. Saleh probably could have hired a respected veteran coordinator on the offensive side ala McVay did hiring Phillips to run the defense when he first got to LA, but I want to see how this staff grows as well and they deserve more time.

#38 JETFUEL1580, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Joe Douglas looks like a bus driver.

Ralebird and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yes, he does.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

abyzmul likes this.