Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Defense is more important for a catcher than their offense. Alvarez is not even remotely close to being ready defensively.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Why wouldn't Nido throw through on the attempted stolen base in the 9th with a two-run lead? The worst thing that could happen is for there to be a throwing error, and the runner would go to third, where it still wouldn't mean anything. Gary, Keith, and Ron totally misunderstood the situation.

Mets win. Hopefully the Dodgers finish the win over Atlanta, and raise the lead back up to 5 games.

3. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Still a lot of game left but the Astros seem to have the Mets #

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

They could be the best team in baseball.

dawinner127 likes this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Really need deGrom and Max back. I can't take this shit anymore.

6. NYJFOREVER

The Mets are a good team, not a great team.

They need to add two bats and two relievers before the deadline if they really want to make a run for a World Series. They don't hit homeruns and don't hit the ball hard for singles and doubles in the gap. No consistent offensive production.

7. bicketybam

I think the Mets can beat anyone in the NL. Their biggest competitor is the Dodgers and they haven't played well this year.

I'm not sold on the Braves. No way the Mets finish behind them.

8. statjeff22

They'll probably still be in first place on the 4th of July, but I wouldn't put my money on that for Bastille Day. This is a team with plenty of holes.

9. bicketybam

If it weren't for the Yankees playing well above their talent, the Mets would have been the best team in baseball for the last 2 months. I get your trepidation because I can relate as a Jets fan, but they are going to win the division. If I was betting I'd have them in the world series. I think they are the best team in the NL.

dawinner127 likes this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

This lineup is too inconsistent. They struggle to produce without the flukey hits. They don't hit homeruns save for Alonso and Lindor, and they don't hit the ball hard. They need 2 bullpen arms and a DH at the deadline because JD Davis and Dom Smith are not it.

The Mets are good, they aren't great, Hopefully June is just a down month and they pick it up.

11. statjeff22

Plenty of teams have been as good or better than the Mets in the last two months, not just the Yankees. The Mets had a winning percentage of .593 in May and June; the winning percentages of these teams were better: Yankees (of course) .745, Red Sox .630, Astros .679, Braves .630, Dodgers .611. The Padres' record was also similar (.582). More to the point, the Mets are .500 in their last 24 games (when their schedule got tougher), with obvious holes consistently leading to problems for them. Unless Scherzer and deGrom have Cy Young second halves, in my opinion a more likely outcome than them winning the division is them getting into the playoffs as a wild card, and then hoping that all of their starters and Diaz are at the tops of their games at the right time. As @NYJFOREVER said, as currently constituted they're a good team, but not anything more than that.

12. dawinner127

Gained a half game last night after ATL got slapped around by the Phillies.

Gotta take care of business these next 10 days with Texas, Cinci, + Miami on deck before we go up against ATL.

13. NYGalPal

14. statjeff22

Wilpon got burned by Bernie Madoff, but of course the ridiculing of this miniscule payment of $1 million completely ignores that the Mets used the money they saved to sign Mike Hampton, which got them to the 2000 World Series. They then traded him to Colorado and got the pick they used for David Wright. Those more than made up for these piddling annual payments, but the media love to perpetuate this ridiculous story anyway.

15. dawinner127

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

17. NYGalPal

I don't think calling up Francisco Alvarez would be the worst thing.I know not ML pitching but he's showing power which the Mets need. Won't known until you know. They make these guys out to be so emotionally fragile. If it doesn't work out send him back down. Doesn't mean that he'd be ruined.

18. dawinner127

Thank you for posting this. Awesome stuff

19. NYGalPal

I don’t see any team offering more $ than the Mets. Don’t see teams wanting to give that kind of $ considering his age and inability to stay healthy and actually pitch. The Braves in particular. I mean they didn’t even want to sign the face of their franchise.

I’m more concern with what will the Mets do if he has to sit down again than if he actually pitches the rest of the way. Though his inability to stay healthy would still be a concern if he pitches the rest of the way. This is gonna be a tricky one!

20. bicketybam

Cohen has so much money he should just roll the dice on deGrom. No way he lets him go to the Braves.