Deshaun Watson Traded to Browns

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Br4d, Feb 20, 2022.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont care if he's suspended or not. Fuck the Browns, Fuck Clemson, so I actually would think its funny if he did.

But I have a hard time believing the Cleveland Browns would give him the most guaranteed money ever if they thought he was going to be suspended for a long time. I suspect they got some assurances from the commissioner's office before signing off on the deal

2. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I'm kinda feeling that there will be some kind of headline suspension of a year to protect the product and allow the NFL

But it'll come with the downplayed option for a good behaviour reduction if no more cases arise/it all gets settled/DW completes a short course on how not to be a pervert.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The NFLPA is expecting to get a minimum of 17 games, if not longer. He's fucked.

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I expect a suspension of more than a year, which will then be appealed and reduced to one year. It was blindingly obvious from the beginning that that is what Cleveland expected, given the ridiculous contract with a $1 million salary for this year. Given this contract and the way they treated Mayfield, it seems that they had no expectation of competing this season. What will screw them over completely is if Watson isn't one of the very best QBs in football from 2023-2026, because they can't release him if he isn't (dead cap of $220M, $165M, $110M, and $55M in the four years, respectively).

KingRoach, FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

By 2024 Watson will be 24+ months from his last game action. It'll be interesting to see if he managed to maintain his peak playing performance over that span.

If he wasn't a QB I'd say odds were well below 50-50 on that. As a QB the variables change since they're not particularly heavy nor do they require extreme muscle mass, quickness or reaction time to be great.

It's notable that Leveon Bell went from one of the best RB's in the NFL to below replacement level in considerably less time away from the field.

It's possible that Watson should treat a suspension like a significant IR event and do physical rehab as if he was trying to regain function. That process is likely what allows injured players who miss a lot of time to step back in as if they hadn't missed a beat.

Watching his diet would be a smart move also.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I believe the contract rolls to the next year if he is suspended the entire year. When they first did the $1M first year I was guessing that his side thought he might get less than a year suspension and that way wouldn't lose much since it would be less than $100k a game. I think the league should mess with him and hold his suspension until next season but make it 16 games so it will cost him a little more than $43M

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I had not heard that, and if it's true the Browns look even stupider (since the only thing they have going for them if Watson doesn't come back as one of the best QBs in football is that they get to use up one of the seasons of the contract). As I said earlier, I suspect that Watson would win an appeal of a suspension for more than a year, which would just be more evidence that Watson's team completely put one over on the Browns.

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I had thought I read it but that might have just been for those taking the season off during Covid. I have not been able to pull anything up about it so I may have been wrong.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The idea of a ready-made franchise QB is something that makes teams go temporarily insane.

Acad23 and Since1969 like this.
  10. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

11. bicketybam

RochesterJet and LAJet like this.
  12. bicketybam

It looks like he most likely get a year suspension which I expect him to appeal. The question then becomes whether he sues the league or not regarding a suspension which according to you would be without due process. Tick tock. Looking forward to the outcome.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What makes a one year suspension most likely?

I never said anything at all about Watson suing the league being "without due process." What are you talking about?

14. bicketybam

I quoted you where you said that.

Rusty Hardin is no slouch in the legal world and would probably be happy to contest any decision made by Goodell and company without due process.

15. Ralebird

Right, the lack of due process in the appeals situation may be a reason to sue the league, as I stated. Watson suing would not be "without due process.

What about your first statement - that Watson will "most likely get a year suspension"? What makes you say that, or is it simply how you estimate the situation?

16. bicketybam

It's what the league expects as well as the NFLPA. Also, anyone with a shred of intelligence expects it as well.

17. Ralebird

It's what the league is asking for as a minimum, not what they are expecting. Where has the player's association announced what they expect to see?

If that's what you're expecting, it would negate your final comment.

18. bicketybam

There has a been a link posted that states the NFLPA expects a year. You can go back and find it.

19. Ralebird

You made the claim - you find it.

And do you not see the difference between the league requesting at least a year and their expecting it?

20. bicketybam

Your position all along has been that he would sue if he gets suspended. Why don't we let that play out and then you can eat your words with your chicken dinner.