Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 28, 2017.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's some kind of message taped to the back... "witchcraft".

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Becoming a fan of "Foundation" on Apple TV.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I want to watch it but was too much of a fan of the books. I remember when the iPad came out I knew they based it on the device that Hari Seldon used to access the Encyclopedia Galactica.

Br4d likes this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Saw 'Halloween Kills'. Kind of jumbled with no cohesion, but still fun. You know what you're getting.

The Jets will be wearing their Halloween costumes on Sunday. Their uniforms.

5. jetophile

This flick was mentioned on page 1 of the thread but without the trailer. Still, hahaha.

6. jetophile

Two fun 70s throwbacks: 'The Reincarnation of Peter Proud' and 'Frankenstein: The True Story' both with Michael Sarrazin.

7. jetophile

Here ya go:

8. jetophile

I never knew there was a 'Poltergeist' remake. The original sucked, and there was a remake?! Holy F that was bad. I couldn't even laugh.

9. jetophile

I watched 'Hereditary' for the 4th time last night. Every time I see it it becomes more unnerving than the last and I pick up a new detail that I missed. It's going to go down as one of the all-time great horror movies.

I've gone here before about this film, but some people actually found it stupid and not scary at all. I can name plenty of reasons why I find it horrifying and I don't scare easily when it comes to horror movies.

Also, some people thought that Alex Wolf did a crappy job. Not sure where they came up with that. Even if horror is not your cup of tea I can't recommend this movie enough strictly because of Toni Collette. Outstanding.

It's such an uncomfortable film from start to finish. Even though the Oscars are a joke for the most part, I can't believe TC she got snubbed for a nomination. In fact, she should have won it. It's best seen in the theatre, but it will still scare the shit out of you in the comfort of your own home. Watch it alone in the dark if you dare.

K'OB likes this.
  10. jetophile

I'd be interested to know if anybody can sit through this without going into a shell and cringing. For anyone who has sat through awful dinner table family rows in their own lives that made your food turn to poison, this scene is almost as scary as the rest of what is actually going on.

K'OB likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Asimov rarely translates well to the screen.

It's his writing style which is nonstop and often in the character's heads as opposed to dialogue. There's also a lot of explaining and background going on and those are both things that screenwriters hate and ignore.

Essentially an Asimov title done to form would have voice-overs all over the place and those go down poorly with most audiences.

That said, I really like I Robot. It comes closest to matching Asimov's writing to the style that screenwriters favor and of course Will Smith does a good job of making the action around him likable, at least he used too.

I guess I also should have said that Asimov was my favorite writer in my youth. I didn't read anybody but him and Heinlein until I ran out of both on the shelves.

MoWilkBeast and abyzmul like this.
  12. jetophile

'The Last Question' is one of the best short stories ever written. I picked up 'Nine Tomorrows' at a bargain bookstore in NYC ages ago and that story blew me away.

Br4d likes this.
  13. Cman68

"TREMORS 1-6". They retired Burt Gummer which I think was a huge mistake in the last (final?) movie..

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Michael Gross is 74 now and Gummer is a demanding part. Can't sit in a rocking chair and do it even with a shotgun on your lap.

My favorite actors are all retiring these days. Bruce Campbell signing off on Ash Williams just totally sucked.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Cman68

True.. I didn't realize Michael Gross was that old. I'll say this.. They sent Burt out in style.. Now I just hope they retire the franchise.

Br4d likes this.
  16. jetophile

17. jetophile

'Peeping Tom'. I know this looks like C- movie schlock (which I love, don't get me wrong), but don't be fooled. It's actually an excellent psychological horror film. Sex, voyeurism, saturated colors and serial killing, how can you go wrong?

The main character had a fugged up childhood, and you guessed it, he becomes a fugged up adult. He's obsessed with cameras and filming. His thing is filming or taking photos of the terrified faces of his victims right as they realize what's coming. The camera becomes an extension of his twisted personality.

The film was absolutely vilified and pulled from theatres but has since had a Renaissance. It's one of Martin Scorsese's favorite films.

More, if anyone is interested . . . but probably not. : /

^I think Scorsese was also involved in getting it re-mastered and preserved. I saw it in '83 (I think), and loved it. Of course Scorsese mentions one of my ultimate films of all time, 'M'. Anyway, a great way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.

EDIT: Aurocorrected to 'Sleeping Tom', haha.

#357 jetophile, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    MoWilkBeast likes this.
  18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm not a big horror movie fan but the movie that scared the living shit out of me was the Exorcist. Holy hell that movie gave me nightmares.

My ex-wife is a huge horror fan. She claims the Conjuring is beyond scary. I wouldn't know because there is no way I would ever watch it.

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Great film. Well worth the watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

jetophile likes this.
  20. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Love this movie. I knew someone would have put it in here. Currently watching a new serialised version of this under the title of the original Wyndham novel, The Midwich Cuckoos. The kids are just as creepy, especially the one with the weird hair.