The Official 2019-20 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Sep 12, 2019.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Having great goaltending doesn't matter when your opponent can generate high danger chances at will like the Avs do.

You could've somehow combined Igor and Vasilevskiy together and the Avs would still win this series.

papapump likes this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

So much for that Tampa funeral. Nice response by the Lightning and now this makes game 4 very interesting. I still think the Avs will win it in 5, but if they lose then all bets are off on who wins the series.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It's not a series until the home team loses.

4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Looking at it from Tampa's side they better hope Kucherov can play game 4. Haven't heard any update on his condition. If he can't play then I can't see Tampa having a shot against the Avs. He is too important of a player for them. Against the Avs they need all hands on deck in this series.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, tonight is where we see if the Lightning can make it a series, or if it will be Avalanche in 5. I would love for Tampa to dominate again, because then things would really get interesting.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

There goes my Bolts in 6 pick, guess I gotta go Lightning in 7 now.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Who won the Vezina Thophy this year? I missed it ;)

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Shesterkin had a great year and deserved to win the Vezina. He is a great goalie no doubt. But I still say Vasilevskiy a two time Cup winner who also won a Vezina is the best. He also has led the league in wins for five consecutive seasons 2017-2022. With that said as an Isles fan I hope the Avs can finish the job. I don't want TB winning a 3rd Cup in a row and having a shot at tying the Isles next year with 4 in a row. I also don't want them getting to close to the Isles 19 straight playoff series wins which is still a record today. Lets Go Avs.

9. The Dark Knight

Tampa played well last night. Just ran out of gas by overtime. I don't think Game 5 will be 7-0, but I do think the Avalanche finish them off. Colorado in 5 was my original pick, but then I thought it was not respectful enough of the back to back champs. The truth is the Avalanche are just really good. Not much can be done to stop them.

papapump likes this.
  10. JetBlue

It's strange to call the Lightning underdogs but they clearly are in this series, and are not the better team by any stretch of the imagination. And I've seen this series enough in sports where the underdog is outplaying the better team but can't get separation or put them away, let's them hang around and the better team comes back and wins. Hell, we just saw it in the NBA finals where the Celtics probably let two games they should have won get away from them and that was the difference. We saw it in game 5 of the Rangers Tampa series where the Rangers let them hang around. With two minutes left in regulation my son asked me who I thought would win the game and the Avs were my answer; not out of insecurity because I am rooting for Tampa Bay, just because I've see this game, this series many, many times.

I actually think the Lightning win game 5 but lose game 6.

11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I think it ends tomorrow. I don't expect another blowout like it was in game 2 but I think the Avs win it in front of the home crowd.

papapump and JetBlue like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I have seen way too many overtimes in my life. I knew Colorado was going to win too. There are always exceptions, but they controlled play down the stretch and completely in OT. Not much Tampa could do.

I hope they force a Game 6 because I want to watch more hockey, but I think the Avalanche hoist the Stanley Cup tonight.

papapump and JetBlue like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

Game 6 is on! Great game by Tampa Bay. Andrei Vasilevskiy is by far the better goaltender of the two. Could he steal Game 6 and potentially a Game 7? I think so. This series just got very interesting.

14. JetBlue

Not something I’m happy to have been right about predicting the Bolts to win game 5 but lose 6 but it was extremely obvious who the better team was in this series. The Lightning were too good to lose in 5 but just couldn’t sustain their momentum in back to back games, or more accurately the Avs were just that much better than them that they could prevent that momentum. Extremely impressive defensive effort by the Ave to close it out.

15. The Dark Knight

The best team in the NHL won the Stanley Cup. Sounds obvious, but many years that does not happen. Hats off to the Avalanche on a great season!