Jets career playoff wins compared to the rest of the NFL during the Super Bowl Era

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Jun 19, 2022.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Why are we moving the goal posts?

By the way, the Bears have played 6 WC games in the super bowl era and have a 2-4 record. I don't look like it as padding stats with WC wins. I think WC games are harder especially if you are the road team like the Jets usually were.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

WTF? Did you just say wildcard games are harder to win than divisional or championship games? That's absurd

As the playoffs go on, the remaining teams are better teams. Not exactly rocket science here

3. bicketybam

Playing on the road against a division winner is easy? Use your head. Do you forget the path the Jets had to take on their way to their CS games in 2009 and 2010?

PJ4Ever and BradysTornACL like this.
  4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Really, we have to dig this up? Most of us old timers lived through (and the fact the SOJ matra became synonymous with the team during this time) this and do not need to be reminded of our ineptitude. Thanks anyway, now I'll go have a few pops of brandy!

JETFUEL1580, BrowningNagle and cval like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

Yeah, they won the easier games and lost in the championship games when it got more difficult duh

6. bicketybam

In 2009 they beat a 13-3 Charger team on the road.

In 2010 they beat the Colts with Peyton Manning on the road and then the 14-2 Patriots with Tom Brady, also in the road. Easy games, right?

You are one of the biggest idiots I've even come across on a forum. It's no wonder you chose a dogshit QB as your screen name.

BradysTornACL and PJ4Ever like this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The entire format of the best playing the worst based on regular season record has escaped him.

The format is designed for it to be more difficult to make the Superbowl from the wildcard.

8. BrowningNagle

I never said it was 'easy' , no playoff game is ever easy, easier - yes. In any tournament, the better teams advance, making it more difficult as you go along.

Which is why winning the division is crucial, so you can skip ahead a round

Now, can we at least agree that 11 division titles is better than 4?

9. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Of the teams below the Jets on the list ...

Chargers
    Buccaneers
    Saints
    Falcons
    Bears
    Panthers
    Bengals
    Browns
    Jaguars
    Cardinals
    Texans
    Lions

... three have won Super Bowls since the Jets last appeared in (and won) one (Buccs, Saints, Bears), five more have appeared in a Super Bowl since our last appearance (Chargers, Falcons, Panthers, Bengals, Cardinals), and three of the teams are expansion teams (Panthers, Jags, Texans).

But in all reality, nobody cares about the playoffs. Playoff appearances (and wins) are what coaches use to avoid getting fired and what team owners use to talk dumb fans into buying season tickets. What people care about are Super Bowl wins and Super Bowl appearances. And since our last Super Bowl win (and appearance) 53 years ago, the only other teams who have not made a Super Bowl appearance are the Browns, Jaguars, Texans and Lions - and two of those teams didn't exist until 1995 and 2002. It's pathetic.

JETFUEL1580, cval and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

The fact that we have arguments over where our team rates on the "poor franchise" scale says everything... Times are-a-changin' fellas!

JETFUEL1580 and cval like this.
  11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Can't complain about anything in this post as it is a fact. Super Bowl wins and appearances are the standard and yes the Jets haven't measured up. Came close though a few times.

12. JETFUEL1580

Thought it was a fun chart to take a look at for some fans who weren't aware of playoff success or lack of it. Wasn't trying to conjure up bad feelings dude.

Acad23 and cval like this.
  13. JETFUEL1580

Yes that was my premise originally, and by no means was I trying to even suggest we have been great, but to show that it hasn't all been dark skies for the last 53 years.

mrjet80 and bicketybam like this.
  14. JETFUEL1580

They way I looked at the list when I first saw it was if you split it in half exactly you have a tale of two sides. From the Pats to the Chiefs what do they have in common? Dominate rosters, Great coaches, Well run organizations/continuity, etc...The other side of it is primarily organizations that are snake bitten, just can't get it together, or expansion teams that don't have the longevity. The Jets over the past few decades outside of the Parcells 97-99 era have been a roller coaster ride average. Again, it was actually a shock to see that they even had 12 wins to be honest. We all hope this changes obviously, but am I the only one with all the dysfunction, horrible draft picks and coaches who's fairly surprised that it wasn't actually much lower? Maybe I'm to optimistic as fan or I really don't expect much, but I never got how others love the misery aspect of it and prefer to just focus on being negative as fans. Reminds me of Red Sox fans prior to 2004.

15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

You also have to bear in mind that for much if the period that the Jets have had decent teams they were dealing with a better team in their division. When the division was weaker the Jets sucked. That definitely played into the lack of success over the years. The Jets have had teams good enough to get to and win another SB, but never had the consistency to keep knocking at the door enough times that the rub of the green goes with you and you get it done.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  16. bicketybam

I think we may have had a few more division titles if it wasn't for BB, Brady and the fucking Pats. If the Pats played in Chicago's division, Chicago wouldn't have nearly the amount of division titles. #facts

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Until we start beating teams in our division on a consistent basis... we ain't going anywhere.

And that's gonna take shoring up our defense... just like in 2009/10.

18. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

So with a couple of solid playoff runs within the next couple of years, we can easily go to average/above average.

Not going to lie this chart isnt impressive, but I expected a lot worse.